AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are having a new home built they break ground at the end of the month and i decided i didn't like the way they would finish the basement and the idea of paying an extra 20k to have them put up 3 or 4 walls kinda rubbed me wrong so i would much rather do it the way i want... anyway this is kinda what in have roughed up what i would like it to look like. the HT will be the room at the bottom which will be 15x12 seeing the basement has not been built that size can change but what i would like is to be able to have a screen stage and two rows of setting abviously second row in platform my quastion is will this room be big enough?

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,127 Posts
Welcome,

It would be nearly impossible to have 2 rows of reclining Home theater seats. You would need to use upright seating for the rear row. You could use real theater seats for the rear row.

You can get an idea of options at seatsandchairs.com

·
Registered
21 Posts
I don't know 1/100th of what most of the guys know here, but that does seem small for 2 rows. Is there any way you could make it a bit bigger like you mentioned? Looks like you could bring it back even with the other wall quite easily.. of course sacrificing some space in the main room.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i could maybe use the other room that is 18ft deep would just put up all wall deviding it from the rest of the basement the only thing is i would have to scafrice the window but the up side is the room behind the bathroom is where all the heating equipment is and i could put the equipment rack in there so dunno yet.. definalty open to ideas the last thing i want is to start and look back and say dang i should of done this or that.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC /forum/post/19608218

Welcome,

It would be nearly impossible to have 2 rows of reclining Home theater seats. You would need to use upright seating for the rear row. You could use real theater seats for the rear row.

You can get an idea of options at seatsandchairs.com

thanks that maybe a good route to go

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,127 Posts
Just a heads up, the Plumbers, Electricians and HVAC guys can really screw up a perfectly good basement. Since you are not buying a finished basement they will have little incentive to locate the pipes, service panel, and ducts in such a manner that you can maximize the use of the space. You should have a conversation about this with the builder and be sure to get in and look at their work during construction if possible.

Promises should be documented in writing if nothing more an e-mail from you to the builder documenting your understanding based on your conversation.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC /forum/post/19608519

Just a heads up, the Plumbers, Electricians and HVAC guys can really screw up a perfectly good basement. Since you are not buying a finished basement they will have little incentive to locate the pipes, service panel, and ducts in such a manner that you can maximize the use of the space.

Absolutely agree.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:

Just a heads up, the Plumbers, Electricians and HVAC guys can really screw up a perfectly good basement. Since you are not buying a finished basement they will have little incentive to locate the pipes, service panel, and ducts in such a manner that you can maximize the use of the space. You should have a conversation about this with the builder and be sure to get in and look at their work during construction if possible.

Promises should be documented in writing if nothing more an e-mail from you to the builder documenting your understanding based on your conversation.

thanks for the tip i have already started speaking with the project manager and he has already been nice enough to run conduit from the netwrok panel to the attic so i can wire the bedrooms for network and cable because again i am not paying the wireing guys 180$ for a simple cable jack.. just amazes what they charge to do such a simple task anyway...... our precontruction meeting is on the 15th and will definalty bring up my plans for the basement and where i would like located.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted White /forum/post/19608571

Absolutely agree.

thanks guys i actually just called the builder and they do the basement exactly as if it was gonna be finished but at precontruction meeting i will get it in writing for sure

·
Registered
742 Posts

Quote:

I 100% second that. Our basement is being worked on as I'm typing this. I just came to computer from talking with the AC guys because I'm having them move a condensor line that goes diagonally across a room below the joists. I had to hire a guy to move 2 cold water, 2 hot water, and 2 gas lines. I moved 2 HVAC ducts and an exhaust line on my own. It is a huge headache, an unneccessary dent in the wallet, and a delay to actual construction to have to to deal with this stuff that could have been taken care of from the start. On top of that, the AC only gets turned on in the summer so I won't know if there is a leak or not until well after everything gets sheetrocked in.

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,127 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scl23enn4m3 /forum/post/19608825

On top of that, the AC only gets turned on in the summer so I won't know if there is a leak or not until well after everything gets sheetrocked in.

They should be able check the pressure in the line after a couple of weeks and they do have hand held electronic sniffers that can detect a leaks.

·
Registered
742 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC /forum/post/19609117

They should be able check the pressure in the line after a couple of weeks and they do have hand held electronic sniffers that can detect a leaks.

They did mention they would test it when I brought up the concern, but they didn't specify how exactly. And I'm more worried about the long term use because of the bends in the copper tubing. They are still here and I think just finished reloading the freon. I'll go ask them, thanks for the heads up!

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by scl23enn4m3 /forum/post/19609465

They did mention they would test it when I brought up the concern, but they didn't specify how exactly. And I'm more worried about the long term use because of the bends in the copper tubing. They are still here and I think just finished reloading the freon. I'll go ask them, thanks for the heads up!

if it is new house doesn't the home warranty cover any of these issues?

·
Registered
742 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by snickers1 /forum/post/19609890

if it is new house doesn't the home warranty cover any of these issues?

We built the house 10, going on 11 years ago. Back then I thought home theaters were for billionaires lol.

And to make a post relevant to your question, the theater I'm building is in a room that is 11' x 16'. One foot of the length is going to be taken up by the space behind an AT screen. I keep playing around with the layout in SketchUp and can't seem to get a proper second row in without sacrificing screen realestate. I have it setup for a 100" 16:9 screen and can get away with first row of recliners and a second row couch on a riser. You can bring your seating closer if you're willing to go with a smaller screen though. I read that the viewing distance is generally 1.5x the size of your screen, and I know BIG mentioned he enjoys 1.2x on a 2.35:1 sceen. Then again, in the end it really is subjective.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by scl23enn4m3 /forum/post/19610594

We built the house 10, going on 11 years ago. Back then I thought home theaters were for billionaires lol.

And to make a post relevant to your question, the theater I'm building is in a room that is 11' x 16'. One foot of the length is going to be taken up by the space behind an AT screen. I keep playing around with the layout in SketchUp and can't seem to get a proper second row in without sacrificing screen realestate. I have it setup for a 100" 16:9 screen and can get away with first row of recliners and a second row couch on a riser. You can bring your seating closer if you're willing to go with a smaller screen though. I read that the viewing distance is generally 1.5x the size of your screen, and I know BIG mentioned he enjoys 1.2x on a 2.35:1 sceen. Then again, in the end it really is subjective.

Thanks i have been playing around with the layout of my basement and i am leaning towards using the room in the upper of the drawing that room will be i think is 15ft by 18ft and will be very close to the room with the furnace, electrical box, and network box for the house obviously there will be a wall between that room and the rest of the basement which is not showing in the currant drawing but once i get it all laid out i will post a new pic of the drawing

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
we finally moved in the house is great but of coarse now all the idea start racing through your head and you want everything yesturday, deck, patio, finish basment, new furniture, the list is endless i think

anyway the wife an i have have agreed the we really like the open concept of the basement for entertaining and very much like Big's basement thread yes even though it is a very long thread LOL!!

anway this sorta what i come up with please we are open to ideas and sugestions....

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Snickers you won't be isolating any sound easily. Just as long as you're aware of that up front

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted White /forum/post/20230784

Snickers you won't be isolating any sound easily. Just as long as you're aware of that up front

yes i know.... but this why i am only in the planning stage i am open to ideas i just dont want to get caught up in buidling something then be stuck saying shoulda woulda coulda

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Understood. Having said that, several people here have similar layouts and isolated their rooms to their satisfaction. Logan's room comes to mind.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted White /forum/post/20231070

Understood. Having said that, several people here have similar layouts and isolated their rooms to their satisfaction. Logan's room comes to mind.

just did a search but can't find the thread that shows his design?? saw one whee someone thanked him but can't find one he created

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.