AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

Have spent the past hour or so reading different threads, but looking for some advice on my particular circumstance.

Basically, building a new 2-story house and wondering what best option is. Going to have 5.1 surround sound upstairs with in-ceiling speakers connected to HTPC. Mainfloor, I would like to have in-ceiling speakers in living room, kitchen, and outside in backyard...so 4 separate zones in total.

I would like to be able to play music from the htpc in different zones, but my wife would also like to be able to play music (youtube playlists and spotify) from her laptop, as well as her android phone. Basically, where I could watch a movie from htpc upstairs zone and she could be on main floor and have her music playing through in-ceiling speakers from phone or laptop.

Don't have an iOS, only android, so may limit what I can use as would like an app for control certain devices.

Have been recommended the Aton DH44KT which does look good, but wondering if anything would serve my situation better and perhaps be more cost effective.

Budget preferably under $2k.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
If you're building - concentrate on the wiring first. Check the wiki over at cocoontech.com on Wiring Your House. Wire for flexibility and expansion, worry about the gear later.

If at all possible, avoid ceiling speakers for your L/C/R speakers - placement way above the TV makes it very difficult to get good imaging. In-ceiling for surround and music-only zones are fine.

What's included in the $2k budget? Speakers, wiring, amps?

Using a laptop as a source can be done, but look at music server solutions that have better remote/keypad solutions (Sonos, for example).

Jeff

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor /forum/post/20837850

If you're building - concentrate on the wiring first. Check the wiki over at cocoontech.com on Wiring Your House. Wire for flexibility and expansion, worry about the gear later.

If at all possible, avoid ceiling speakers for your L/C/R speakers - placement way above the TV makes it very difficult to get good imaging. In-ceiling for surround and music-only zones are fine.

What's included in the $2k budget? Speakers, wiring, amps?

Using a laptop as a source can be done, but look at music server solutions that have better remote/keypad solutions (Sonos, for example).

Jeff

Hi jautor, thanks for the reply!

I will certainly check the wiring for the house. I have a good friend who is in the IT business helping me, as well as an electrician, so hoping they can help me with their expertise as well on wiring.

My $2k budget is mostly just for whatever multisource/zoning hardware I need. Not included in the budget is the wiring, speakers, TV, HTPC, etc. If a certain amp is required, I guess I would include that though.

As mentioned, by friend in the IT business is pretty knowledgeable with this stuff and he is advocating the Aton DH44KT to do the zoning. It does look tempting, but I have heard a lot of great stuff with Sonos as well and I just want to make the right decision.

·
Registered
10,873 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsick /forum/post/20838306

As mentioned, by friend in the IT business is pretty knowledgeable with this stuff and he is advocating the Aton DH44KT to do the zoning. It does look tempting, but I have heard a lot of great stuff with Sonos as well and I just want to make the right decision.

I.T. wiring shares a lot of the technology, but not necessarily the same usage models or equipment. Does he know A/V gear, or just "Networking"?

Don't think of it as Aton vs. Sonos. Sonos can be a great source for any multi-room setup. The Aton unit is a distribution system - hooking one or two Sonos units to it can make a nice combo!

Jeff

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.