AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Upstairs.pdf 39k .pdf file

*Note: The house is being completed, only the walls are up at the moment with a few other things such as plumbing. I am going into the pre-wire phase now and am looking for some advice. This and This are great tools and resources, but I'm looking for the community touch on this and some specifics.

This is what the upstairs looks like. The family room is actually going to be pushed back about 6 inches or so into the 3rd bedroom, which will actually be my office.

Now this is what I'd like to do, offer suggestions if you can. The closet in Bedroom #3 is where I would like to house the media closet as well as most of the network devices (NAS, Switches, Etc...); the family room will have the 2.35:1 projector screen and overall cinema experience.

1. I would like to have the whole house wired with cat6 (every room)

2. Have the option to feed movies from my computer (or NAS device) to the family room, as well as games if possible (I'd like a way to play computer games in a more comfortable fashion, via Mobo Chair and X-Rocker in the cinema room at times)

3. 7.1 Audio in the family room, and possible whole home audio.

4. Cable TV possible in all rooms, even the garage.

5. Wire for security

6. Did I miss something?

All of this will tie into the media closet in Bedroom #3. Hopefully this house all network devices, media devices, and possible future security devices that can be monitored in my office.

So what am I missing, or do differently here. (The downstairs has only the living room, small dining room, and kitchen, as well as the garage).

So what do I need to get/do in order to complete this project. I would like some future proofing where you may think it best fits. What type of NAS, Switch, or other device would you recommend. I'm currently looking at This for the switch, This for the NAS and this for the router.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,866 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by koawinter  /t/1430405/new-home-home-theater-office-etc-advice#post_22421024

*Note: The house is being completed, only the walls are up at the moment with a few other things such as plumbing. I am going into the pre-wire phase now and am looking for some advice. This and This are great tools and resources, but I'm looking for the community touch on this and some specifics.

Well, good, you've already found a lot of the resources...
Quote:
The closet in Bedroom #3 is where I would like to house the media closet as well as most of the network devices (NAS, Switches, Etc...); the family room will have the 2.35:1 projector screen and overall cinema experience.

Office closet is a good location for the panel. If the family room will be a dedicated theater, you might enclose the niche into the bedroom #3 closet to hold a rack, with the equipment facing into the theater ana accessible from the side/rear from the closet.
Quote:
7.1 Audio in the family room, and possible whole home audio.

Simple WHA can be done with a 7.1 receiver with zone2/zone3 support. But wire the house for WHA systems, so cat5e/cat6 wires to keypad locations in each zone - prewire any room for WHA now - will be difficult later.
Quote:
Did I miss something?

Absolutely. If we only knew what...

Hence, think about flex conduit from your wiring closet to key locations (attic run, service entrance, living space on 1st floor).
Quote:
So what do I need to get/do in order to complete this project. I would like some future proofing where you may think it best fits.

Wire. Lots of it. Never be this cheap again.
Quote:
What type of NAS, Switch, or other device would you recommend.

Too early - you're ~4-6 months away from needing this stuff, better models will likely be available, don't buy that gear until you need it. Router - I'd suggest Netgear or D-Link. Switch - cheapest you can find.

This thread probably belongs in the Home A/V Distribution forum, too...

Jeff

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lot's of forums here, didn't know which to pick

I'll have to see about the niche. So just create a a mini closet with shelves that can be opened on both sides?

Also, I want to mount the projector on the ceiling, so I should create an access for HDMI, Audio, Etc? Is that feasible? I want it to connect to at least 3 Game Systems, Computer, Blu-Ray, and if possible a NAS.

1. I know I'll be using synology as my NAS device and I'm curious how others have used it. I will mainly use it to house my Blu-Ray collection that I have ripped via makeMKV and make available to any device in the house that can use it. I'm just curious if I will need to have a device to run it through to the projector, of if the NAS will handle it. I could use XBMC to handle it via something like the a computer dedicated for it or the new OUYA that will come out.

2. I'll be using Xbox (and Zune) for music and can connect that to the WHA I believe or is there something better (I'm already in Zune, and will probably stick with it)

·
Registered
10,866 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by koawinter  /t/1430405/new-home-home-theater-office-etc-advice#post_22422190

I'll have to see about the niche. So just create a a mini closet with shelves that can be opened on both sides?

I was thinking more of including the niche as part of the bedroom closet, and frame an opening for the rack face to show through into the theater... An "in wall rack" look, which would be accessible from the closet.
Quote:
Also, I want to mount the projector on the ceiling, so I should create an access for HDMI, Audio, Etc? Is that feasible? I want it to connect to at least 3 Game Systems, Computer, Blu-Ray, and if possible a NAS.

Not sure what you mean by access - but you will need power and signal (likely HDMI + some cat6/cat5e cables, plus a flex conduit) at the projector location. Projector inputs are usually switched by the AVR, so it won't matter how many sources - you only run one output to the projector location.
Quote:
1. I know I'll be using synology as my NAS device and I'm curious how others have used it. I will mainly use it to house my Blu-Ray collection that I have ripped via makeMKV and make available to any device in the house that can use it. I'm just curious if I will need to have a device to run it through to the projector, of if the NAS will handle it. I could use XBMC to handle it via something like the a computer dedicated for it or the new OUYA that will come out.

2. I'll be using Xbox (and Zune) for music and can connect that to the WHA I believe or is there something better (I'm already in Zune, and will probably stick with it)

Best asked as a separate topic in the HTPC forum. But it generally won't matter for your wiring - you'll need Ethernet and HDMI connectivity all over the place, generally...

Jeff

1 - 5 of 5 Posts