AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of moving into a new home. My current home I knocked down walls and wired surround sound, created a media wall etc... I made the space to fit my equipment. That was all well until I decided to purchase another home in order to get out of the city and into a ranch style home.

The living space is "akward" to me, but we really like the location, the land, the community etc etc. So now I need help on what I can do/should do to make this space work.

It is currently wired for 3 in wall speakers up front by the fireplace and 2 rear speakers in the ceiling.

I doubt that my 55" TV will fit the space, so I am debating on a Projector and drop down screen? More than likely a sectional and not theater seating as I still want it to be a "living space".

I have access to the roof and below the house through a crawl space. So running wires is pretty straight forward.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
I am in the process of moving into a new home. My current home I knocked down walls and wired surround sound, created a media wall etc... I made the space to fit my equipment. That was all well until I decided to purchase another home in order to get out of the city and into a ranch style home.

The living space is "akward" to me, but we really like the location, the land, the community etc etc. So now I need help on what I can do/should do to make this space work.

It is currently wired for 3 in wall speakers up front by the fireplace and 2 rear speakers in the ceiling.

I doubt that my 55" TV will fit the space, so I am debating on a Projector and drop down screen? More than likely a sectional and not theater seating as I still want it to be a "living space".

I have access to the roof and below the house through a crawl space. So running wires is pretty straight forward.

Thanks!
I see several issues with this room for a projection system.

The first is the color of walls and ceilings -- white is going to cause light from the screen to bounce all over the room and reduce your contrast levels. So are you planning to paint a dark neutral grey flat ? Ditto the carpet -- at the very least I would buy a couple of dark throw rugs to put under the screen area. With light-colored surfaces, you will literally be able to see ghost images of whatever is onscreen all around you.

The second issue is the placement of the in-wall front speakers. Any retractable screen is going to cover at least the center and if it is larger than 120" (I am guesstimating 9' between them ?) the L&R as well. So if they are good quality ad you want to use them, then you are talking an AT screen, which in a tab-tensioned retractable variety is costly -- >$1000. A tab-tensioned non-AT screen is under $500, but would require not using those speakers but having new ones ceiling mounted angled down to the viewers.

The third issue is that I can't actually see the surround speakers in your photos and their distance will dictate the seating distance which will dictate the screen size. I like a screen size that is half as tall as the seating distance -- 12' seating dictate 150" screen if 16:9 format.

Other than that, it looks like a pretty good room. You will be able to see the screen from some of the dining room seats as well as guests at the bar. The tray ceiling means running cables and power through the ceiling to the projector can be done easily. A blackout curtain can be pulled over the door and window before the screen is lowered to watch movies even in full daylight. Be sure you have a bright projector like the Benq W1070 if you want to do any daytime viewing -- the Optomas and Epsons (except 5030 or 3000/3600) do not have enough light without the colors getting out of whack.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks dreamer!

Coming from a house with a black screen wall and the rest of the walls being grey I just don't want to do that again. It's dark here a lot and the wall colors in the winter don't really help. I agree with the speakers... I haven't moved in yet so I am not sure the quality of the speakers. I should know more once I take ownership. The bedroom has the same speakers it looks like. Three speakers on one wall and two speakers on the opposite wall.

You can see one speaker in the ceiling in the second picture. The other speaker is the same distance but its on the opposite side.

So something like a Elite Screen Spectrum Series wont work if I don't mind not using the in wall speakers up front? I talked to the wife and she is ok with a BenQ W1070 if we can watch it during the day.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Thanks dreamer!

Coming from a house with a black screen wall and the rest of the walls being grey I just don't want to do that again. It's dark here a lot and the wall colors in the winter don't really help. I agree with the speakers... I haven't moved in yet so I am not sure the quality of the speakers. I should know more once I take ownership. The bedroom has the same speakers it looks like. Three speakers on one wall and two speakers on the opposite wall.

You can see one speaker in the ceiling in the second picture. The other speaker is the same distance but its on the opposite side.

So something like a Elite Screen Spectrum Series wont work if I don't mind not using the in wall speakers up front? I talked to the wife and she is ok with a BenQ W1070 if we can watch it during the day.
If you won't paint dark, then I suggest some large -- floor to ceiling -- colorful and non-reflective artwork for the right-hand wall.

The Spectrum Series has a non-tensioned and a tensioned version http://www.elitescreenshop.com/Spectrum-Tab-Tension-Series-s/289.htm

I wouldn't recommend the non-tensioned version to anyone. They develop ripples and waves that are visible onscreen and surprisingly annoying.

If the speakers are the same in the bedrooms then they are probably some builder's overpriced option and nothing I'd use. At least having wiring to the general area is convenient.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts