AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just moved in to our new home and am looking to set up the family room with some fairly budget-friendly speakers. My whole budget for speakers is just $500 - $600. The subwoofer isn't included in that budget as I'm already pretty well set on upgrading to a BIC F12 down the road.

The room itself is 21.5' x 13' with a tray ceiling that is 9' at the highest. The TV is set up on the longest wall so the viewing distance is about 12'. There is no room to place rear speakers behind the sitting area so I was thinking of installing in-ceiling speakers for the rear surrounds. I was initially thinking of just going with a 5.1 setup but then I've considered getting the Jamo S606 and using the satellites for side surrounds and the in-ceiling for surround back. Or would Front Height be a better option based on my room layout?

Looking for suggestions not only on speaker placement but also on which speaker options for the budget. Also not opposed to just going with L, R, and C speakers for the time being and adding on later as my budget expands.

ETA: One last thing... the wife is okay with tower speakers for the L & R.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Just go 5.1, you have no room behind.

Use bookshelves for the rears in your 5.1 and just place them at the back and point them at you (better than in ceiling); this is what I have in my 5.1.

If you can move your couch forward a few inches from the back wall that would help (although mine is back against the wall, and things sound OK to me).

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
please remember, in a 5.1 setup the surrounds are really more like "sides". Bookshelf units spread fairly wide and aimed at the listening position should work well.

three options in your price range:

1. Jamo S606 bundle http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it.../jamo-s606hcs3

2. Infinity Primus speakers P362 towers, PC350 center, and P152 surrounds

3. Polk Series II Monitor speakers from Newegg.com (sign up for their email newsletter to watch for excellent sales on these speakers) Monitor60 towers, CS1 or CS2 center (CS2 preferred, but it is large), Monitor30 surrounds.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Since you said you could live with just a L/C/R for now and upgrade later, with that size room and budget, I would go with just the best pair of L/R speakers in your budget and run in it phantom mode and buy a timbre matched center later as budget allows followed by the remaining side surrounds.

That being said, I have no idea as to which speakers to recommend though. Just a possible option for you to get the best speaker you can given your situation. Depending on how loud and deep you like your bass, the BIC F12 may struggle to pressurize that room.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.