AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am moving into my new house in about a month. I will have a small room with dimensions as follow, 14.5 x 9.5' x 8 for a media/music room. The following is a rough sketch of my room layout. I am still deciding on between doing a 7.1.4 or 7.1.2, as the room is so small that I'm not sure if more is better. I am planning to have my back four surrounds as in-walls(could change). And two or four in-ceiling Atmos. Front three will be towers and a center channel. I will also be adding some acoustic treatment. This will be my first dedicated room and atmos setup. All previously setups were in a living/family room. I am a big nervous as this room is pretty small compared to my larger living room setups, which sound very good to me. My goal is to have good sound quality. Any advice and help would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
No help? I have a few more questions.

1.Which wall would be the best to use? Long or short wall? 9.5' wall is kind of narrow. Also the short wall has a window on one side and a closet on the other.

2. Should I do a 2 or 4 channel atmos? I ask this question is because I concern about the size of my room.

3. I have another room which I can possibly use. Dimensions are even smaller though at 10 x 12 x 8. But the reason I bring this up is because supposedly the dimensions are better for sound according to PS Audio Room Calculator.

EDIT MAYBE I'M IN THE WRONG SECTION :).

·
Registered
472 Posts
You didn’t say if you are going projector or TV but it looks like a TV on a stand. I like the idea of the short wall. I would consider taking out the closet doors and putting your console/tv in the closet. Then later if you want projector you can put an AT screen there with your center behind. Also gives you more room to move seating back for a bigger screen, but you would need a solution for your tower at the door

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You didn’t say if you are going projector or TV but it looks like a TV on a stand. I like the idea of the short wall. I would consider taking out the closet doors and putting your console/tv in the closet. Then later if you want projector you can put an AT screen there with your center behind. Also gives you more room to move seating back for a bigger screen, but you would need a solution for your tower at the door
Problem if i put my tv in the closet it would be off centered as the closet is not centered in the room. I thing I would have to do some construction work to make it work. Door would have to swing out instead of in.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
with that size room I think I would flip it and do 5.2.2 keep your surrounds in the corners further from your ears. or put the display on a narrow wall and put the seating out from the back wall.
Yes I am definitely considering that. But I would want to keep it a minimum 7.1.2. But one side there's a window and the other side a closet with a door swing inwards. I may need to do some construction work to make it happen if I decide to go that route..

·
Registered
472 Posts
Problem if i put my tv in the closet it would be off centered as the closet is not centered in the room. I thing I would have to do some construction work to make it work. Door would have to swing out instead of in.
Yes a TV would be off center in the closet, against the wall closest to the door to get it close to centered.

But later you rip out the closet doors, fill the opening with a false wall, cover it with a giant screen and do in wall front LR and center behind screen (in closet)

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes a TV would be off center in the closet, against the wall closest to the door to get it close to centered.

But later you rip out the closet doors, fill the opening with a false wall, cover it with a giant screen and do in wall front LR and center behind screen (in closet)
Placing the speakers inside the closet behind a transparent screen would compromise the sq too much for music for me. If this was pure ht use I would do it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts