AVS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I have been reading the threads for awhile and have narrowed (I think) it down to a few choices. I sold my old 7.1 system so now I have clean slate, and the money.

Overall budget ~$3k and Speakers. Aiming for a 5.x.4, most likely just 1 sub for WAF. Pretty much decided on Denon x4200 for 9ch processing and will it pair with an old receiver for the extra 2 channels (it claims 120Wx2 or 100x5).

The room is going to be a challenge because the living room is an open floor plan. Theater area is 20x20 with 10' ceilings, but it's in a 20x35 open room. MLP will be 10' from the front and back. It's back wall also has 2 doorways and pass through to the kitchen. I can't get the surrounds in a standard placement (blue dots on pic) because of WAF. My question is to go with high surrounds that will be 1' from the ceiling (red dots) or lower ones in the rear surround location (green dots). My gut feeling is to go with the green dot location to keep the separation for ATMOS. What are your recommendations?

For speakers I am am having the most difficulty deciding between the LRC with a max budget of $1500. I have also decided on towers because of the young kids. The sub will be a HSU, SVS, or something comparable that's ported. It will be 80% TV/Movies, 10% music, and 10% gaming.

LRC
1. BIC Acoustech PL-89ii and PL-28ii
2. SVS Prime
3. Chane A3/A2
4. Ascend CMT-340
5. KEF Q700/ Q600C or Q200C

I have searched for comparisons and have found a few, but nothing really concrete. Is the sound quality for the price difference between the BICs and the rest that noticeable? Also, with the KEFs on sale at A4L, are they that much better because they are at the max of my budget?

Thanks for any input you have!

Attachments

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
Wow! You will need a gigantic sub for an open space that size.

I own some Ascend speakers. Great speakers for the money. Can't go wrong with them. :)

·
Registered
905 Posts
I own ascend Sierra 2's and can say that the speakers and customer service of ascend is top notch.

I agree that you will need a good sized sub for that room size, orrrrr two smaller subs. I know you said due to WAF you might not be able to do two subs. But, show her a Cap1400 and say thats the size sub you need for your room if you get one sub or dual Rythmic 12's or 15's if you can have dual subs haha

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Green dots should be fine for rear surrounds, but with Atmos set-up I've been told to mount at or slightly above seated ear level to isolate better from the rear Atmos speakers in-ceiling. Looks like nice room, I just bought refurb Yammy A2050 so I don't have to use external amp to drive the 8-9th channels, I was considering X4200W also; Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks like I'll try and convince her for 2 subs, the open floor plans have their downfalls.

Has anyone compared the BICs with the others?

Green dots should be fine for rear surrounds, but with Atmos set-up I've been told to mount at or slightly above seated ear level to isolate better from the rear Atmos speakers in-ceiling. Looks like nice room, I just bought refurb Yammy A2050 so I don't have to use external amp to drive the 8-9th channels, I was considering X4200W also; Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the reply, I just want to confirm you mean the green dots are good for normal surrounds in the 5.1 plane.

·
Registered
8,787 Posts
Looks like I'll try and convince her for 2 subs, the open floor plans have their downfalls.

Has anyone compared the BICs with the others?

Thanks for the reply, I just want to confirm you mean the green dots are good for normal surrounds in the 5.1 plane.
The green dots represent where "REAR" surrounds would go. Typically in a 7 channel setup. The main surrounds are meant to be off to the sides.

I have not heard the Bics, but I think you can get the new Klipsch RP line for about the same price or at least within your $1500 budget.

The Ascend 340s with the matching pedestal stand (that can be weighted to like 100 pounds) would be a great choice. Plus they offer a package discount and sell Rythmik subs. One of Rythmik's 15" ported subs would make a great choice too.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The green dots represent where "REAR" surrounds would go. Typically in a 7 channel setup. The main surrounds are meant to be off to the sides.

I have not heard the Bics, but I think you can get the new Klipsch RP line for about the same price or at least within your $1500 budget.

The Ascend 340s with the matching pedestal stand (that can be weighted to like 100 pounds) would be a great choice. Plus they offer a package discount and sell Rythmik subs. One of Rythmik's 15" ported subs would make a great choice too.
Thanks for the recommendation, the Ascends are looking better and better.

I know the green dots are the location for a normal rear surround, but my issue is with doing 5.x.4 I don't have a good spot for the (side) surrounds. The red dots are at 90deg but are about 8-9' up and 1' from the ceiling, and WAF prevents from using blue dot location.

I am trying to figure out which option green/red is the best for the side surround that will present the best sound stage.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can anyone else help me out with the side surround placement? I am looking to buy this weekend if there are some good 4th deals. Leaning towards the Ascends for LRC and I think the CBM-170s in the green location is going to be the best for ATMOS/DTS:X.

Now if I can only decide on dual LV12Rs/Ultra-X12s or a single FV15HP with my $1200 sub budget.

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
If you would consider eventually going for a second FV15HP, then get a single of those. My living room is part of a 6500 cubic ft space, and definitely good to have a lot of SPL.

But if that's too much, check the Power Sound Audio thread on Friday/Saturday. Seems a hint that there might be a special over the weekend. Go for a V1500 if on special, then down the road add another :D

·
Registered
18,462 Posts
The room is going to be a challenge because the living room is an open floor plan. Theater area is 20x20 with 10' ceilings, but it's in a 20x35 open room. MLP will be 10' from the front and back. It's back wall also has 2 doorways and pass through to the kitchen.

For speakers I am am having the most difficulty deciding between the LRC with a max budget of $1500. I have also decided on towers because of the young kids. The sub will be a HSU, SVS, or something comparable that's ported. It will be 80% TV/Movies, 10% music, and 10% gaming.

LRC
1. BIC Acoustech PL-89ii and PL-28ii
2. SVS Prime
3. Chane A3/A2
4. Ascend CMT-340
5. KEF Q700/ Q600C or Q200C
My top 2 picks of those 5 would be the Chane and the Ascend, but with kids around I'd go with the Ascends and their OEM stands---which keep the drivers 24" off the ground away from little hands and once filled with sand or shot would be darn near indestructible. Plus they have very high sensitivity and you'll have no problem filling up that space with beautifully clear, natural sound---I used to have them for my LRC about 10 years ago when I had a similar open floor plan, and we had 18' cathedral ceilings and a cheap $250 AVR.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That is a nice feature to fill the Ascend stands to weight them down.

If I go with the green dot location for the side surrounds would bipoles do a better job of filling the area or should is stick with monopoles to help keep the separation between speakers? They will be around 10' behind the MLP.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
That is a nice feature to fill the Ascend stands to weight them down.

If I go with the green dot location for the side surrounds would bipoles do a better job of filling the area or should is stick with monopoles to help keep the separation between speakers? They will be around 10' behind the MLP.
I would go with monopoles since they are so far behind your MLP. This is especially true if you ever wish to go down the Atmos rabbit-hole...

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would go with monopoles since they are so far behind your MLP. This is especially true if you ever wish to go down the Atmos rabbit-hole...
Thanks, I think I will go with Ascend 200s mounted on the wall to match the 340s up front. The 170s are just going to be too big in the main walkway behind the couch.

Reactions: Zorba922 and sigpig

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I jumped on the X4200 from Fry's today, so that's out of the way.

I took the advice in the forums and called all of the companies. I thought this would help me choose, but they all have great customer service and are happy to talk specifics. I really appreciate their help, but still haven't made any final decisions.

Is there going to be a significant price jump from the Ascend/Chane to the next level up for HT? From reading, it seems like you almost have to triple the price to jump to the next level. I will have these for the next 8 years so going a little over budget on the LRC might be worth it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts