AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Planning a new Home Theater layout and looking for advice. The basic room dimensions are 13' x 19'. That does not take into account space that will be needed to deal with and AT screen and speakers behind it. So, some part of the long dimension will be lost to that. I am thinking of a 125" diagonal screen.

I would like to use a 2.35 or 2.40 AT screen with constant image height for 16.9.

I am thinking of buying the JVC DLA-X990 Projector

Currently considering Octane Wave seating. Maybe 2 rows of 4 seats. Would like opinions on those seats from anyone who has purchased them, their placement relative to the screen for each of the 2 rows, best dealer to work with to get the best price, and any other thoughts.

I am planning to do an Atomos audio set-up, with the Denon AVRX-6400H receiver feeding three speakers behind the screen, Center, Left and Right, then a Left and Right in-wall and Left and Right Rear, plus 4 in-ceiling speakers.

All the equipment, except the projector, will be housed in an equipment rack in the rear wall of the room.

I would like to hear thoughts on the screen size and location of the seating relative to the screen and thoughts on the number of seats.

Thank you very much.

·
Registered
28,980 Posts
For smoother frequency response (fewer/smaller peaks & dips), I would place the listeners' ears around 1/3 room length from the back wall. A riser behind that can be built for a second row (overflow seating). Four seats for the front row might be tight in such a narrow room, so I would do 3 in the front row and 4 in the back row (people in the back row will be looking between the heads, not over the heads, of people in the front row).

If you take away a couple feet in the front of the room for a false wall, you still have about 10-11 feet to the screen. Screen size will be determined by how large a viewing angle you are comfortable with. 106" wide screen will be a 45° view angle, 120" wide = 50° view, 133" = 55°. Personally, I'd go with a 55° viewing angle so that you end up with a decent 42° viewing angle for 16x9 content.

·
RETIRED theater builder
33,832 Posts
you will get more traction over on the dedicated theater construction forum.

A row of 4 Octane Wave is 10 1/2 ft wide, IMHO too wide for a 13 ft room.
A row of 4 Fusion Jives with the middle two seats in a loveseat configuration is 9ft 1 inch . IMHO maybe.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
you will get more traction over on the dedicated theater construction forum.

A row of 4 Octane Wave is 10 1/2 ft wide, IMHO too wide for a 13 ft room.
A row of 4 Fusion Jives with the middle two seats in a loveseat configuration is 9ft 1 inch . IMHO maybe.
Hi Jeff ,

Thanks for the input. I will move the thread over to the other heading. Also, thanks for the advice on the other seating option.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts