AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Planning a new Home Theater layout and looking for advice. The basic room dimensions are 13' x 19'. That does not take into account space that will be needed to deal with and AT screen and speakers behind it. So, some part of the long dimension will be lost to that. I am thinking of a 125" diagonal screen.

I would like to use a 2.35 or 2.40 AT screen with constant image height for 16.9.

I am thinking of buying the JVC DLA-X990 Projector

Currently considering Octane Wave seating. Maybe 2 rows of 4 seats. Would like opinions on those seats from anyone who has purchased them, their placement relative to the screen for each of the 2 rows, best dealer to work with to get the best price, and any other thoughts.

I am planning to do an Atomos audio set-up, with the Denon AVRX-6400H receiver feeding three speakers behind the screen, Center, Left and Right, then a Left and Right in-wall and Left and Right Rear, plus 4 in-ceiling speakers.

All the equipment, except the projector, will be housed in an equipment rack in the rear wall of the room.

I would like to hear thoughts on the screen size and location of the seating relative to the screen and thoughts on the number of seats.

Thank you very much.

·
RETIRED theater builder
34,055 Posts
screen size and seating location

Two rows of reclining seats and a screen wall in 19ft takes some careful planning and equipment choices.
Reclining seating requires 6 1/2 ft of room length. So if you build a 7 ft deep riser you can keep the rear row at least 6 inches off the back wall
That places the front row chair backs at 12 ft from the front wall minus the room behind an AT screen. If I were you I would keep it less than 1 ft. There are plenty of speaker choices in a ft of depth and you can recess them partially or totally in the front wall. You will probably need to put your subs in front of the wall.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Two rows of reclining seats and a screen wall in 19ft takes some careful planning and equipment choices.
Reclining seating requires 6 1/2 ft of room length. So if you build a 7 ft deep riser you can keep the rear row at least 6 inches off the back wall
That places the front row chair backs at 12 ft from the front wall minus the room behind an AT screen. If I were you I would keep it less than 1 ft. There are plenty of speaker choices in a ft of depth and you can recess them partially or totally in the front wall. You will probably need to put your subs in front of the wall.
Hello Jeff,

Thank you very much. I think I can put the three front speakers at least partially through the wall, or all the way through. I'll have to think about the sub.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Hello Jeff,

Thank you very much. I think I can put the three front speakers at least partially through the wall, or all the way through. I'll have to think about the sub.
You should be thinking SUBS. If you go DIY, you can create subs with enclosures that can fit in a 12" deep space. Their shape may be less than optimal, but two subs are definitely better than one.

Also, have you considered the Octane Viper? It has a smaller headrest, so you should have marginally better perception of the rear surrounds and possibly the side surrounds as well. It will also improve the sight lines for the second row viewers, especially if you offset the rows.

Another option to save space and money is to use movie theater style seats for the back row. If you will only have 4+ people in the theater just a few times a year, it might make sense to save a little money on the back row seats.

Mike

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
Are you going to use all those seats, all the time?

The issue is, most of those seats are going to have compromised audio. Eight seats with two having good audio,
would be a design game changer for myself.

I'd be leaning differently with that space, a single row of seats and a much AT bigger screen. Instead of compromised seats,
I'd drag in some seats for overflow. That savings would be invested in a lighting plan, and a masking system.

A single row version of the JBL demo room, would be a killer budget DIY room, in such a space.

Attachments

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are you going to use all those seats, all the time?

The issue is, most of those seats are going to have compromised audio. Eight seats with two having good audio,
would be a design game changer for myself.

I'd be leaning differently with that space, a single row of seats and a much AT bigger screen. Instead of compromised seats,
I'd drag in some seats for overflow. That savings would be invested in a lighting plan, and a masking system.

A single row version of the JBL demo room, would be a killer budget DIY room, in such a space.
Thanks for the input. You and the previous replier both make very good points. It is very true that those extra seats won't be used very often and they are expensive, so that money could go to better use elsewhere. I am grateful for your input.

If I go with a single row, would I raise them up on a platform, or keep the whole floor on one level? Also, with the 2 rows, I was going to have a love seat center on each row. Now if I go with one row, does it make sense to have 2 love seat configurations, knowing that they both will be off center?

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
A riser for a single row could be done, but I'd consider it another spot where I'd wouldn't spend budget there.

Four seats won't give you an optimal seat re audio, but that is workable (IF you find suitable seating for four, in 13' of width.) The
one catch is you don't want to be seated right on top of any surround speaker, so maybe an ATMOS 5.2.4 layout might be a nice
audio setup.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re-read your reply

Hello Jeff,

I just re-read your reply and I think that you may have mis-understood my room dimensions. The wall that my screen will be on is 13' wide and I had planned to use an Elite AT 138" diagonal screen. The length of the room is 19' going from the screen wall to the projector wall. Based on your info I had placed an order for 2 rows of 4 Fusion Jive Seats.

Now that I have re-read your post, I am wondering if I was in error, or am I still OK?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hello Jeff,

I just re-read your reply and I think that you may have mis-understood my room dimensions. The wall that my screen will be on is 13' wide and I had planned to use an Elite AT 138" diagonal screen. The length of the room is 19' going from the screen wall to the projector wall. Based on your info I had placed an order for 2 rows of 4 Fusion Jive Seats.

Now that I have re-read your post, I am wondering if I was in error, or am I still OK?
After yet another reading I see that you were right on target with the dimensions of the room. Do you also agree with the 2 rows of 4 seats?

·
RETIRED theater builder
34,055 Posts
four Jives are 115 inches wide, your room is 156. that leaves 20.5 inches on each side for a aisle. Tight but doable. Depending on where the door is you may have wanted fewer in one or both rows.

If the door is ahead of both rows, Three in the front row leaves more walking room and it doesn't matter how wide the back row is, except for the audio experience sitting in the back corners.
If the door is on the back wall two rows of three
If the door comes in on the side of the seating it depends where and which way it swings.

length wise my advice is still is correct It was based on a 19 ft long room.

·
Registered
11,402 Posts
four Jives are 115 inches wide, your room is 156. that leaves 20.5 inches on each side for a aisle. Tight but doable. Depending on where the door is you may have wanted fewer in one or both rows.

If the door is ahead of both rows, Three in the front row leaves more walking room and it doesn't matter how wide the back row is, except for the audio experience sitting in the back corners.
If the door is on the back wall two rows of three
If the door comes in on the side of the seating it depends where and which way it swings.

length wise my advice is still is correct It was based on a 19 ft long room.
He can also go with a middle Jive powered loveseat configuration that is 109' wide. Roman sells some dividers that you can always use to divide the two loveseats but you get 6" back.
https://www.fusioncollectionseating.com/products/jive-5301-5301-5201-5201-configuration?variant=778104671

Here is the removable armrest:
https://www.fusioncollectionseating.com/products/modular-removable-armrest?variant=822539315

Some other seats from HT Market (powered) are about the same price as the Jive seats and are even more narrow if you go with dual love seats.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts