AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently setting up my first home theater. I am looking to spend around 800 for a projector. I've narrowed my selection to the mits HC1500 and the Optoma HD65. Which is better? Will I notice a big difference between the two? Would it be wise to go with the one I can get the best deal on? Also if there is any other projector that might be a better choice feel free to mention.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
They are very close. The Mits can be had for less so it is a better value. The Mits is brighter and has a larger zoom and the optoma has better black levels. The consensus choice, however, if you do not need the brightness of the Mits is the sharp DT-510 at amazon.com.

·
Registered
437 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwlaw99 /forum/post/14172119

They are very close. The Mits can be had for less so it is a better value. The Mits is brighter and has a larger zoom and the optoma has better black levels. The consensus choice, however, if you do not need the brightness of the Mits is the sharp DT-510 at amazon.com.

Whose consensus choice are you referring too? I spent months (literally) debating between the Mits and the Sharp and in those months I found a total of 0 reviews of the Sharp compared to dozens on the Mits and I spoke with a total of 3 Sharp owners compared to the hundreds -- if not thousands -- of Mits owners on-line. I desperately searched for information on the Sharp but came up with virtually nothing. I've said it before and I'll say it again - if Sharp had submitted the DT-510 for ONE professional review, I might own a Sharp today.

Unless something drastic has changed around here in the past month and a half, the 'consensus' is based on spec and the performance of the DT-500 and not on reviews or user feedback on the DT-510.

To the OP - The Mits and Optoma are very close in terms of performance. Slightly more RBE with the Optoma (although I only notice it on credits and scrolling text) and slightly better blacks on the Optoma. I give the edge in brightness to the Mits and I've been told by ISF guys that the Mits does better post calibration (if you plan on going that route). If cost is at all a factor, I would strongly recommend the Mits at under $800.

·
Banned
9,076 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithfromCanada /forum/post/14173961

Whose consensus choice are you referring too? I spent months (literally) debating between the Mits and the Sharp and in those months I found a total of 0 reviews of the Sharp compared to dozens on the Mits and I spoke with a total of 3 Sharp owners compared to the hundreds -- if not thousands -- of Mits owners on-line. I desperately searched for information on the Sharp but came up with virtually nothing. I've said it before and I'll say it again - if Sharp had submitted the DT-510 for ONE professional review, I might own a Sharp today.

Unless something drastic has changed around here in the past month and a half, the 'consensus' is based on spec and the performance of the DT-500 and not on reviews or user feedback on the DT-510.

To the OP - The Mits and Optoma are very close in terms of performance. Slightly more RBE with the Optoma (although I only notice it on credits and scrolling text) and slightly better blacks on the Optoma. I give the edge in brightness to the Mits and I've been told by ISF guys that the Mits does better post calibration (if you plan on going that route). If cost is at all a factor, I would strongly recommend the Mits at under $800.

The 510 is a 500 with a few improvements, just like the HC1600 is a HC1500 with a few improvements. Based on your logic we are to assume that the HC1600 sucks because there are no reviews and therefore it should not be recommended.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts