3,918 Posts

Resolution HD-720p (1280×720 pixel)

Brightness 700 ANSI lumens

Contrast ratio 600: 1

A-weighted sound pressure level 32dB

It is short the focus and high magnification ratio zoom lens adoption

3-2 pull-down detection type IP conversion circuit loading

Faroudja DC$$Di circuit loading

Corresponding signal 480i, 576i, 480p, 576p, 720p, 1080i and 1080p (RGB)

NTSC, PAL, SECAM, NTSC4.43, PAL60, PAL-M and PAL-N

SXGA, XGA, SVGA and VGA

Input/output terminal RCA pin ×1 Composite

S terminal S video

D-SUB 15 pin ×1 Component video /RGB

RCA pin ×4 Component video /RGB

DVI×1 Digital RGB

D4 terminal ×1 Component video

Mini- jack ×1 1C$2v trigger out

D-SUB 9 pin ×1 RS-23C2c

Electric power consumption 240W

External size 409 (W) ×281 (D) ×111 (H) mm

125 (H) * the leg section it includes

Mass 4.76kg

Accessory Remote control, dry cell battery and power cord/code, instruction manual

Spero D.

·
Registered
3,918 Posts

This time sells " LPX-500 " to succeed the design philosophy of this corporation first digital cinema projector " DPX-1 " which is high appraised in the entire world, it is the front projection type liquid crystal projector which is optimum to movie appreciation as the one for foam/home theater. The HD corresponding real 720p (1280×720 pixel) the wide liquid crystal panel (aspect ratio 16:9) the high-speed steel peck which deepens, from the pleasure of movie appreciation such as actualization of the film like picture quality with the natural black * concept, 600:1 high contrasts of originality, and loading et cetera of the advanced IP conversion circuit high in addition to the definition and faithful color reproducibility due to adoption, more is actualized. Furthermore, the high installation where the quiet sound design and, shortly it is due to the adoption of the focus * high magnification ratio zoom lens until degree of freedom, being thorough the new form of the liquid crystal projector for the foam/home theater only of Yamaha it pursued.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Attendant upon the spread of DVD video and the start of BS digital broadcast, the foam/home theater demand which is enjoyed easily with home has increased the image source of high picture quality * treble quality more and more. As for this corporation, targetting family layer leading industry, as a foam/home theater system of simple installation * simple operation it sold from " the cinema station " series, the high-class DSP high level which loads leading

digital technology as for AV maniac layer it is the liquid crystal projector for the optimum foam/home theater to also the AV fan layer which of course, is examined step-up to the video projector from the large picture TV.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. It was thrown because of high picture quality, altitude and colorful image technology

1) Up-to-date HD correspondence wide liquid crystal panel adoption

The HD corresponding real 720p (1280×720 pixel) the up-to-date wide liquid crystal panel (aspect ratio 16:9) 3 is used the liquid crystal 3 board system which is adopted to projection system, in RGB independence, quite high resolution is actualized.

2) Actualizes the film like picture quality of the movie the natural black * concept which

Expression power of the black which influences the material feeling of movie playback depends on the high contrast optical system of new development, it expresses also the nuance and delicate gradation expression of the dark space more richly with " natural black * concept ". It raises also contrast ratio, to 600:1.

3) Due to linear color balance technology the accurate color reproducibility

Besides the fact that by the fact that linearity of 3 liquid crystal panels is revised, faithful color reproducibility is actualized loaded " linear color balance " regarding whichever gradation, also the color unevenness revision which decreases the color unevenness of spacial direction, executes with 600 points or more on the picture. A more faithful color reproducibility is acquired.

4) With Faroudja " DC$$Di circuit " loading the high picture quality IP conversion

3-2 where the image information which is included in the film is reconstructed faithfully it loads the up-to-date contour revision technology the " DC$$Di circuit " of the Faroudja which has established reputation worldwide to IP conversion of pull-down detection type IP conversion and the video recording material. The beautiful image reappearance where jaggy noise and the like was held down is made possible.

* The DC$$Di is registered trade mark of the Faroudja which is business section of the American Sage corporation.

2. Yamaha prejudice bears the foam/home theater * tuning where

Prejudice only of the foam/home theater manufacturer is utilized to everywhere in " LPX-500 ". For example, to be projected by the up and down left and right outside the screen cutting tend excessive light by the fact that thorough measure is administered concerning an optical leak which produces effect on reproducibility of black, it removes the influence to the picture. In addition, the picture mode which is pre-set (the A/B/C), by the fact that the optimum tuning which corresponds to the various movie materials is administered, beautiful image reappearance is made possible.

3. Also fine picture quality adjustment was superior smooth, operativity

In the adjustment menu which is indicated in the screen, the monotone menu design which holds down influence to the eyesight in the time of the color tone integral to minimum is adopted. In addition, including the black level adjustment which is loaded for the first time with the DPX-1 in picture quality adjustment parameter, white level adjustment and color temperature, other than the picture mode which modifies beige adjustment and gamma, the color balance which independent variable it is possible RGB each color (gain, the offset and gamma) preparing, it is possible to answer the demand of the your wide customer. Furthermore, as for this color balance, in order to be effective other picture quality adjustment and in the series, it is designed in such a way that it can make the last spurt of picture quality adjustment simple. In addition, the picture quality adjustment menu makes the influence to the picture smallest, in adjustment " 1 line " indication being, possibility, from as direct the operation impression is actualized, as for command, in every six input sources memory it is possible to 6 patterns to do, (maximum of 36 memories).

4. It corresponds to various room sizes, the high installation freedom where

It is short, 100 inch wide (, projection distance at the time of 16:9) screen projection being smallest, actualizes the 3.15m focus * high magnification ratio (1.35 times) with loading the zoom lens, it is installation possible in the room of various width. In addition, because of the compact forum not to choose the storage space, flat putting installation and the ceiling hanging * is possible. It loaded also the digital keystone revision circuit which can revise the keystone distortion of the picture which it occurs depending upon installation position and angle, in the range of top and bottom 15%.

* The heaven hanging metallic parts of option are necessary.

For heaven hanging metallic parts high ceiling: The PMT-H25 (68,000 Yen), it is low the for ceiling: PMT-L21 (38,000 Yen)

5. Supports comfortable movie appreciation the individual quiet sound design which

Each unit inside the substance and, being small-sized, large airflow arranging the sirocco fan of merit skillfully, as it controls the flow of the air, it was compatible the decrease of cooling efficiency and operational sound by the fact that it optimizes the rpm of the fan, the Yamaha individual silent layout design was adopted. In order to be able to appreciate comfortably at the quiet theater room, it has made operational sound, the 32dB decrease.

6. Is compatible ease of use and the forum design of the refinement which

It dissolves in the interior and & sufficient consideration even for the using selfishness has done the slim smart Yamaha design which is packed. As for the input/output terminal which on the operation panel, and the rear section top it is concentrated is equipped, handling, from substance rear section is possible from the unidirectional. And, the routing could be also the cables clear, can set more simply.

7. Corresponds to the up-to-date image format widely the terminal group of the completeness which

The 720p of course, corresponds to also the format of the existing image media of the 480p and the 480i et cetera the highest picture quality of satellite digital broadcast (the 1080i) in addition to. And, HTPC

of topic Projection distance chart (16:9 screens)

Screen size

(Inch) Projection distance

(M)

60 1.9 - 2.6

70 2.2 - 3.0

80 2.5 - 3.4

90 2.8 - 3.9

100 3.2 - 4.3

110 3.5 - 4.7

120 3.8 - 5.2

130 4.1 - 5.6

150 4.8 - 6.5

200 6.4 - 8.7

Spero D.

·
Registered
56 Posts
This does indeed sound like the rebadged TW100 that's been in the works. (I've been reading the threads about the TW100 with interest for some time now.) My main curiosity is whether Yamaha will be releasing this projector in the United States. Epson has apparently decided not to bother. Does anyone know the answer to that?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Hi All,

Here's the picture of Yamaha LPX-500 with the remote control:

http://www.yamaha.co.jp/news/photo/02060511.jpg

I don't know about the projector but I own an Epson TW100 and the Yamaha remote control looks exactly like the Epson's.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
how much is the epson?

·
Registered
387 Posts
... and in Europe, Epson charges about 5900 euros for it in Finland; in Germany I know at least one company selling for 4900. Ordering mine tomorrow :D from a Swedish company that has it for about 5500 (reasonable compromise for me).

·
Registered
115 Posts
Only 700 lumens!! THis is progress??..With any introduced light pic will wash out,and that 600:1 contrast will really be around 100:1 .C,mon, I think Yamaha just thinks were a bunch of fools who would buy anything with there name on it..For that price there are certainly much better machines...or maybe im missing something...

Alex

·
Registered
776 Posts
What is this, 2001?! Why would anyone buy a new DLP projector with a 600:1 contrast ratio and 700 lumens? This projector will be competing against the new HD2 chips (ie 1800:1 contrast, 1500 lumens, darker blacks, $5000 price point). Is crack legal in Japan?

Hjackson

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
This is a LCD projector, and therefore, will not have any of the potential problems associated with DLPs colour wheel. It will also cost significantly less than the HD2 projectors.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Last I checked, to get the numbers or similar to the numbers quoted by the two gentlemen above on any DLP projector, you're not paying $5000, you're paying $10000 and up (ie Marantz etc).

I should point out (as I remarked above) that I have just ordered an Epson with the same stats. Why? 16:9, faroudja processing, good contrast (for an LCD), very very quiet fan noise and no worries about DLP rainbows or other DLP-induced headaches. It also competes nicely with projectors like Sonys VW11 (which has similar stats in cinema black mode).

The point of having a 600:1 contrast is to not introduce any stray light... in fact, with any FP, you're an idiot if you allow light into the theatre, in my humble opinion.

Granted, it won't be the projector of choice to use in a brightly lit room for a superbowl party, but I'm at a loss to figure out why anyone would allow enough light into their theatre to drop the contrast to 100:1. Anyone who isn't required to wear a straightjacket much of their waking hours, anyway. ;)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Well to start,

Name calling is not appropriate,this is soppose to be friendly, and while you may like sitting in the pitch black to view a movie a lot of us don't.All

we are saying is EVERYONE KNOWS when you only have 700 lumens with

600:1 supposed contrast that if your teeth are bright you'll dim the pic and

lower the contrast.now 1500-1900 lumens with 600:1 I guarantee you is

a much better pic,better color and better CONTRAST...IMHO....Those machines can be had for the same or less.And to talk abut DLP issues.

Aren't screen door,poor contrast,dead pixels associated with LCD?

I wont take the "Idiot" personal.

Alex

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
AV8042,

Each projector technology has advantages and disadvantages, however, it you happen to be susceptible to DLP rainbows and other colour wheel artifacts, then DLP is ruled out. I have a Sanyo PLV-60 and think that the LCD screendoor effect is overblown. My first row of seating is just over 14 feet from a 125" wide screen and nobody has ever complained of the screendoor. I can detect it under certain conditions such as when there is a large uniform bright colour with no motion. I certainly do not find it objectionable. Black levels and contrast are not as good as on one of the new HD1 DLP projectors, but then again light output is probably twice as high. Its all a matter of trade offs.

·
Registered
387 Posts
It wasn't personal, in that I was most certainly not calling you an idiot to your face.

It was and is, however, my own personal opinion about anyone purchasing a multiple-thousand dollar device and willfully choosing not to use it properly. Besides, with the backwash of light from the screen, I would be hard pressed to call the home theater a pitch dark place.

No reason to take my opinion of such a person personally unless you yourself consider yourself to be an idiot - and I assume you don't. If you don't, why worry about whatever opinion I myself hold about people who misuse front projectors?

I would feel the same way about someone buying a Ferrari and fitting all-terrain tyres on it. Or someone buying a snowmobile and using it on pavement.

Bottom line: no front projector will look its best with lights in the room. None. You will always worsen the image considerably. Knowing that, even if you have 90000:1 contrast ratio, with lamp turned on you have 90:1... (ok numbers are entirely out there but I'm trying to make a point). Why would you do that? I don't get it.

There is a reason why movie theaters don't run with lights on too.

700 lumens is no light cannon, agreed. If total light control is impossible, look elsewhere. In fact, look at rear projection that is far less vulnerable to ambient light.

Me, I prioritize high resolution, quietness, good scaler, no DLP artifacts, not necessarily in that order.

Would 2000 lumens be nice? Absolutely. Is it a deal breaker? Well, obviously not since I made the deal.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Just out of curiosity, what kind of lumens figure does a decent CRT projector achieve ? Probably no better than 700 I would have thought. Substantially higher figures than this are probably great if you want to use your projector for presentation purposes but not strictly necessary for HT.

Allan

·
Registered
115 Posts
KImo,

Sorry to hit a nerve.Really not a big thing....You really spent too much time on that !!.We all love the same thing,HT.So with all this technology and advances in LCD. why would a Manufacturer still make a 700 lumen LCD PJ?To be competitive??too what??The scalers in the newer higher lumen,higher res pj's are getting awesome.Rainbows are less and less of a problem with DLP...5500.00 street price can get you a pretty big bang for your buck.(a lot more than 700 lumens,500:1 cr) and great res,scaling...And that is the point to be made .The awnser to your question is:"Why have the pic totally wash out,loose all contrast when even a little light does get introduced if you dont have too. You can't turn on a flashlight (as they do in Movie theaters)with 700 lumens"...It shouldnt be such an issue anymore,especially with "Newer" projectors....You've got to

agree with that????

Alex

·
Registered
182 Posts
Kimmo, I disagree on the comparon of contrast, and what amount of lighting to let in! Although the contrast rate is important in assessing how dark a room optimal should be, the absolute black level is more important. If this projector has the characteristics of a normal LCD, the absolute black level is grayish, moreso than most DLP, and therefore letting lights in actually may improve perceived contrast and blacks. This is naturally connected with where you place those lights, but your statement of not letting lights in is wrong on a grayish LCD projector. You may be correct on a CRT projector, where black is black.

I have owned five CRT projectors, changing to a newer and better model every 6 months or so for the last couple of years. My latest model was a Barco Graphics 808s. On these units, NO lights provided the best image.

I have currently sold my 808s due to fan noise, size, handling, setup every time I change resolution on my PC, etc, and purchased a 43" Pioneer plasma. Quite a drop in size (from about 100 inch), and naturally also picture quality. The major issue is absolute black level. The unit has about 900:1 (probably 500:1) contrast rate. and if I turn off all lights, the black become really annoyingly grey. I have, however, installed lighting behind the unit, and this installation has increased the perceived black dramatically.

My point is simply that image quality consist of more that contrast ratio and brightness. A 5000 Ansi LCD with 1000:1 contrast would not have been any better as long as the absolute blacks are grey!

DLP has far lower absolute blacks, and the new HD1 even lower. This is simply one of the MOST important aspects of quality, and LCD simply does not currently have what it takes to make a normal movie sufficiently realistic (not Antz or Bugs, ANYTHING can produce a good picture there)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Allan,

You are right, A 7" CRT will usually be about 700 lumens gives an awesome pic,until light is introduced.A 9"1200 lumen CRT will make the hair on your back stand up,even with some introduced light.It is still true of CRT's even with there true to life contrast,more lumens=better percieved contrast,brighter, richer colors.The difference is a 9" Crt is the price of a small home.A 7" can be had more reasonably where as digital proj price points are closing gaps.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Alex: I'm not angry in the least :) I guess I should have used a smiley or two in the previous post but didn't want to come across as flippant either. I wasn't laughing but certainly not raging and foaming at the mouth either, just discussing in earnest and from my point of view.

You cannot compare a front projection system (any front projection system) with a plasma like that. The effects of ambient light is completely different, as you have already noted, as they would be for rear projection.

If you backlight a plasma or RP, you achieve the effect you mention; your eyes "dial down" a little due to the light around the display and you don't see as "low" into the greys as you do when the plasma/RP is the only light source. The same effect can be clearly seen on any normal direct view TV as well, and backlighting a TV is recommended on the video essentials disc even.

This is also why screen shots of any projector almost always looks like the projector has ultra-black black level - the camera has adjusted to the overall light output from the image and renders the darkest scenes as black. The human eye, feeding input into a vastly better processor than the one the camera has (the human brain) however doesn't see the same thing as the camera does when viewing the projector image directly firsthand, and this is why screen shots should be viewed with great scepticism.

With front projection, any stray light hitting the screen will lower the absolute black level of the screen and thus contrast. Doesn't matter what display technology is being used. Keep in mind that the screen is still white, and the blackest you can get the image is how bright the screen is with the projector off and the light on (I'm purposely overlooking things like what happens to black level when the projector gets turned on due to light spill or tons of other factors just to prove a point).

The blackest black on the plasma is how black it is with lights turned on in the room as well. Any greyness introduced then is from the display itself, and I'm sure you can see the difference between a lit white screen and a lit black plasma display... :) Especially as you are talking about backlighting as I covered above.

The reason so many Stewart Firehawk owners swear by their screens is because they are gray screens with gain. The gray minimizes the effects on ambient light on the screen, and the gain makes the image displayed by the projector brighter, improving absolute black level and perceived contrast.

As for DLP vs LCD, it's a well known discussion by now, but absolute black level is indeed important but it's not the only criterion by which to judge a projector. For instance, if you are sensitive to DLP rainbows and other more insidious effects like headaches etc, DLP gets ruled out entirely.

For LCD, I would assume that keeping absolute black level down is a lot easier if you don't blast a couple thousand lumens through the LCD panel, which is most likely why the lumens on this Yamaha, the Epson I have on order and other LCD machines like the Sony VW11 is kept down. The VW11 has 1000 lumens, but also has a cinema black mode that increases the contrast ratio as well as the absolute black level.

Another positive effect from keeping lumens down is that you don't have a hyper-high-power-lamp in there blasting out heat. Heat means fans to remove it from the projector. With 1500 or 2000 lumens it has to be a lot harder to get the air moving fast enough without also introducing a distracingly high fan noise. This is probably why many D-ILA projectors sound like helicopters hovering at low altitude... and why the Epson, Yamaha and Sony sound like whispers at 30db or so of noise.

So, let's sum this up: 720p, faroudja processing, decent (albeit not spectacular) contrast and black level, very quiet and good color rendition. Perfect for the plug and play level customers like me, ie plug it in, turn it on and enjoy. No need for hush boxes, HTPC's etc, no refrigerator-sized CRT mounted on the ceiling, no DLP rainbows/headaches etc...

Obviously everyone makes their own decisions as to what is important, but I just reacted to you dismissing this projector out of hand based on data that to many of us isn't a big deal.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.