AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 323 Posts

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I did it. Sorry for dropping the all caps. I'll probably try to keep this top post updated with announcements.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Benq should be working on a HT9060 replacement, RGB lasers is a good bet given the rumours around the lesser models using RGB lasers.
The HT9060 is LED so are the lesser models. I'm actually wondering what their next HT focused LED projector will be. @sage11x has been hinting at something and I think @Dave Harper has been as well (IIRC). Both of them play in different projector sandboxes so I wonder if this new BenQ will be somewhere between or if one of them will be disappointed...or both!

·
Registered
386 Posts
I think LED may be the preferable light engine source until the sparkles and shimmering artifacts of the laser can be tamed. From what I’ve read on here you have to get the right combination of PJ and screen just right to avoid them.
A next generation LED HT 9070 w/ extended contrast capabilities would be amazing. 👍

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
I think LED may be the preferable light engine source until the sparkles and shimmering artifacts of the laser can be tamed. From what I’ve read on here you have to get the right combination of PJ and screen just right to avoid them.
A next generation LED HT 9070 w/ extended contrast capabilities would be amazing. 👍
100% led is stunning

everything is available technology wise for an affordable high contrast rgb led single chip dlp except the native 2160p 0.6-7" dmd -.-

·
Registered
451 Posts
100% led is stunning

everything is available technology wise for an affordable high contrast rgb led single chip dlp except the native 2160p 0.6-7" dmd -.-
The issue with LED is that it just can’t compete with Laser for light output and dynamic dimming. I am betting on whoever is dropping tips for two lasers plus a Phosphor wheel on the HT9070 :).

·
Registered
451 Posts
The HT9060 is LED so are the lesser models. I'm actually wondering what their next HT focused LED projector will be. @sage11x has been hinting at something and I think @Dave Harper has been as well (IIRC). Both of them play in different projector sandboxes so I wonder if this new BenQ will be somewhere between or if one of them will be disappointed...or both!
I stand corrected. Has Philips found a way to get more output from the phosphor rods or is Benq doubling-up on the number of rods/LED’s. Simply doubling the number of rods/LED’s will need a really good heat sink or a noisy fan.

If the LK990 lens is dropped in the LED chassis we may have @DaveHarper and @sage11 playing in the same sandbox!

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I stand corrected. Has Philips found a way to get more output from the phosphor rods or is Benq doubling-up on the number of rods/LED’s. Simply doubling the number of rods/LED’s will need a really good heat sink or a noisy fan.

If the LK990 lens is dropped in the LED chassis we may have @DaveHarper and @sage11 playing in the same sandbox!
I was under the impression the newer LED projectors (like the BenQ X1300 and the upcoming X3000) were using the newest Osram tech: New dimension of brightness: Osram heralds a new chapter for LED projection | OSRAM

That was new as of Jan this year. 3000 lumens is the claim but who know what happens in a chassis optimized for home theater. 2000-2250 would still be pretty good since lamp dimming isn't an issue.

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
LED is that it just can’t compete with Laser for light output
ya bout half the lumens with the same power consumption and half of that for the bt2020 gamut. say 3k lumens bt2020 laser at 300 watts, leds would be 1.5k lumens with a p3 gamut, and 750 lumens with a bt2020 gamut. i think the new osram leds will do 2-3k lumens at b709

but 0 speckle and 0 speckle mitigation necessary, individual pixels have a perfect uniformity to them.

and dynamic dimming.
?

·
Registered
6,929 Posts

A next generation LED HT 9070 w/ extended contrast capabilities would be amazing.
I was told RGB Laser.

I hated the HT9060 and haven’t been impressed with the LED models I’ve used. LK990 is light years above the HT9060, so I pray it’s not just a refreshed upgrade to that!

He doesn’t want me there. I poop in sand boxes, just ask the barbarian hoard blind followers here!

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
I was told RGB Laser.

I hated the HT9060 and haven’t been impressed with the LED models I’ve used. LK990 is light years above the HT9060, so I pray it’s not just a refreshed upgrade to that!

He doesn’t want me there. I poop in sand boxes, just ask the barbarian hoard blind followers here!

If you get a chance to check out an M-150, or a Mico 50, and compare it, that would be cool. I saw an RS4500 and thought the M-150 looked the same resolution and same sharpness, maybe sharper for some scenes, although the RS4500 of course had better black level in low ADL scenes. Note I did not compare them side by side, there was an hour car drive in between. The LED lightsource is very nice. Great colors and calm sharp image. From what I've seen and also the specs I've compared, I think the M-150 is the best 1DLP rgbLED model released until this day, but it does surprise me you didn't like the HT9060. For low ADL scenes, I'm sure the contrast isn't great, but for bright scenes, I would expect it to be the only LED model to match or even exceed the M-150, at least in still shots. Everyone knows the blacks aren't great on it, but besides that, everything seems excellent except the question mark about the framerate, 3:2 pulldown etc. But if that's what you were thinking of, then yeah I agree with you, but otherwise I've heard it is sharp with popping colors in bright or mid scenes, and might even eclipse the M-150 in those scenes because of 4K resolution, whereas because the M-150 has no framerate issues, and has four times the native contrast, around 1,000:1 ANSI contrast, and significantly more color gamut also (85%+ bt2020), I consider it the best 1DLP rgbLED all rounder.

Full disclosure though, I have never gotten to see an actual 4K DLP projector. I compared 1080p DLP to 4K lcos, and one of the best ones at that, but never to 4K DLP. Maybe the difference in sharpness and resolution is very big with 4K DLP, I do not know. But since there are no no 4K DLP rgbLED projectors that without framerate question marks, it's sort of a moot point, plus adding in that the M-150 has the higher on/off, ANSI, and color gamut also, I would still choose it as the #1 one I'd like to hear comparisons about if someone is saying they didn't like the BenQ HT9060, or they're not sure about rgbLED projectors. One thing's for sure, if you didn't like the HT9060, LEDs aren't the problem. They look stunning. If I could get the same contrast and brightness and color gamut from LEDs as I could from lasers, I'd probably choose LEDs (but I havent seen RGB laser yet. Plus, so far you can't get all those things). But the LEDs have a nice look, probably their own look just like each lightsource, slight subtleties. I like it a lot.

It's very puzzling to me that no projector company has released a 4K version of the M-150 yet, or even a 4K version of the HT9060 just without the framerate question mark.

·
Super Moderator
JVC NZ9 | Sony 885ES | ST130 G4 135" | AVM-60 | MC303 MC152 | 6.1.4: B&W 802D3, 805D3| 4x15 IB Subs
13,634 Posts
JVC NP5 probably counts.

Reactions: PixelPusher15

·
Registered
6,929 Posts
If you get a chance to check out an M-150, or a Mico 50, and compare it, that would be cool. I saw an RS4500 and thought the M-150 looked the same resolution and same sharpness, maybe sharper for some scenes, although the RS4500 of course had better black level in low ADL scenes. Note I did not compare them side by side, there was an hour car drive in between. The LED lightsource is very nice. Great colors and calm sharp image. From what I've seen and also the specs I've compared, I think the M-150 is the best 1DLP rgbLED model released until this day, but it does surprise me you didn't like the HT9060. For low ADL scenes, I'm sure the contrast isn't great, but for bright scenes, I would expect it to be the only LED model to match or even exceed the M-150, at least in still shots. Everyone knows the blacks aren't great on it, but besides that, everything seems excellent except the question mark about the framerate, 3:2 pulldown etc. But if that's what you were thinking of, then yeah I agree with you, but otherwise I've heard it is sharp with popping colors in bright or mid scenes, and might even eclipse the M-150 in those scenes because of 4K resolution, whereas because the M-150 has no framerate issues, and has four times the native contrast, around 1,000:1 ANSI contrast, and significantly more color gamut also (85%+ bt2020), I consider it the best 1DLP rgbLED all rounder.

Full disclosure though, I have never gotten to see an actual 4K DLP projector. I compared 1080p DLP to 4K lcos, and one of the best ones at that, but never to 4K DLP. Maybe the difference in sharpness and resolution is very big with 4K DLP, I do not know. But since there are no no 4K DLP rgbLED projectors that without framerate question marks, it's sort of a moot point, plus adding in that the M-150 has the higher on/off, ANSI, and color gamut also, I would still choose it as the #1 one I'd like to hear comparisons about if someone is saying they didn't like the BenQ HT9060, or they're not sure about rgbLED projectors. One thing's for sure, if you didn't like the HT9060, LEDs aren't the problem. They look stunning. If I could get the same contrast and brightness and color gamut from LEDs as I could from lasers, I'd probably choose LEDs (but I havent seen RGB laser yet. Plus, so far you can't get all those things). But the LEDs have a nice look, probably their own look just like each lightsource, slight subtleties. I like it a lot.

It's very puzzling to me that no projector company has released a 4K version of the M-150 yet, or even a 4K version of the HT9060 just without the framerate question mark.
No matter what I did the colors on the HT9060 always looked way too pastel and chalky to me. I had it side by side with my LK990, which blew it out of the water in just about every possible way except maybe it’s slightly wider P3 color gamut.

I doubt I’ll have the chance to see an M150 or Mico 50, unless someone is close by or I stumble on one in my calibration service journeys. I’m not seeking one out. Not because o wouldn’t possibly love it or anything. Just because I want to use my time working up 4K and recent projectors here or coming out rather than spend it looking at something that is a niche of a niche.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Christi Griffyn is on the list but this thread is really about what is under $20,000 and in the pipeline. I am not aware of a RGB laser projector less than the price of a premium car.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Christi Griffyn is on the list but this thread is really about what is under $20,000 and in the pipeline. I am not aware of a RGB laser projector less than the price of a premium car.
I saw that Christie has them, and was hoping that tech will filter down into this range shortly.

I didn't know that was the only one!

1 - 20 of 323 Posts