AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been out of the subwoofer game for a few years. I am currently in the middle of building a new home theater in a house addition. I've been using a mirage BPS400 and it still performs great. Its usage has been in the living room. But when the new room is done I think I want to get something new and maybe sell or have the mirage in another location. The room is 14x23. I don't have a receiver/amp yet. my speaker set up will be wired up for 9.2.6. Klipsch RF7II/RC64.RS62IIs with CDT5800's for in ceiling. I'm kinda lost on what to do with the subwoofer or subwoofers. I like the idea of SVS letting you test them out. But not sure about ported or sealed or do I need 1 or 2? It will be used mainly for movies, but I do like to listen to surround music, sacd, dvdaudio etc too. probably 70/30 movies. any advice, recommendations appreciated.
ported, sealed? one or two?

·
Registered
220 Posts
I've been out of the subwoofer game for a few years. I am currently in the middle of building a new home theater in a house addition. I've been using a mirage BPS400 and it still performs great. Its usage has been in the living room. But when the new room is done I think I want to get something new and maybe sell or have the mirage in another location. The room is 14x23. I don't have a receiver/amp yet. my speaker set up will be wired up for 9.2.6. Klipsch RF7II/RC64.RS62IIs with CDT5800's for in ceiling. I'm kinda lost on what to do with the subwoofer or subwoofers. I like the idea of SVS letting you test them out. But not sure about ported or sealed or do I need 1 or 2? It will be used mainly for movies, but I do like to listen to surround music, sacd, dvdaudio etc too. probably 70/30 movies. any advice, recommendations appreciated.
ported, sealed? one or two?
What's your budget?

·
Registered
251 Posts
I had a BPS400 which I loved until our house was struck by lightning several years ago. It blew out any electronic components that were connected to low level inputs including the BPS400. It was an impressive sub for its time. Too bad Mirage hadn't kept up its sub line.

Since then I've been through dual Velodyne SPL1000s and then later with a Hsu VTF15H, Mk1. Replacing the Hsu with dual PSA V1500 which are on order. I have a dedicated HT with about 2800 cubic feet. It's primarily for movies.

You can't go wrong with a Hsu or SVS for that matter. It totally depends on your needs and size of the room. And PSA makes great subs as well. Good luck!

Reactions: oneeyeblind

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
Ceiling height of the 14'x23' room and is the room closed off or open to other rooms/areas? How much is your sub budget total?

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the ceiling is a tre ceiling. 10ft at center and 8ft. at the outer part. I would like to place the subs in each corner. there will custom cabinet work on the screen wall ( no false wall). Budget wise, probably 2-3K for two ( if I go that route). I like the size the sealed subs offer- but just want to make sure they have enough bang for movies. Also the room is not open to other areas. I plan on adding a door into the entrance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts