AVS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I recently moved to a new house and my family wants to set up a new home theater system. We already have a nice BDI TV Stand and a 58" Samsung plasma set; all we need now is the audio components. I have set a preliminary budget of $1000 for everything. I'm looking to get a 5.1 speaker system and an AVR. So far, I've found the following pieces:

Fronts: 2x Polk Audio TSi 300 - $370

Center: Polk Audio CS10 - $100

Rear Surround: Polk Audio OWM3 - $95

Subwoofer: Polk Audio PSW10 - $120

Total so far: $685

And here I'm stuck.
  • I really like the look of the front speakers I've found so far (matches perfectly with furniture) and I hear good things about Polk Audio from a quality standpoint. However, I'm wondering if there are better options out there that I'm failing to consider, especially for the subwoofer, center, and rear surround speakers. None of us are audiophiles, but we would like to get something that is a step above your basic HTIB without breaking the bank.
  • I also have no idea what kind of AV Receiver to get. I only have a Playstation 3 (HDMI) and Wii (Composite) as inputs. I don't need a lot of advanced features; just something that will get the job done.
  • Finally, I wonder if it's possible to connect the rear surround speakers wirelessly to the rest of the system. I've looked into solutions like Rocketfish and Amphony but they seem a bit pricey. I'm not completely attached to the OWM3s, so if there are viable wireless alternatives, please share them. I'd like to avoid having to do a front-to-back cabling if possible.

Hope you guys can help. Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I looked a little more and I found some Polk Monitor 60C fronts for $120 each . Does anyone know how these compare to the TSi300s? I heard some people mention that the TSi series are just rebranded Monitors, which makes the 60C the likely predecessor of the TSi400.

They're also cheaper, which means I can spend a bit more on surrounds. I was considering the Polk F/X Wireless for $275 . Good idea?

BUMP

·
Registered
43 Posts
Polk TSI and the older Polk monitor series are the same speakers with minor cosmetic differences.

TSi 100 = monitor 30

Tsi200 = monitor 40 etc.... you get the picture?

·
Registered
4,572 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
I've never owned a Polk sub but when I was doing sub research it was pretty much unanimous to get the PSW505 over the PSW10. People weren't very high on the later.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
I would look at the Energy S10.3 Subwoofer on newegg on sale for $190 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882269026

Check out the Onkyo 609 here for $280. Its a refurb unit. I own the Onkyo 808 as a refurb and no regrets here, I love it. http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKTXNR609/Onkyo-TX-NR609-7.2-Channel-3-D-Ready-Network-A/V-Receiver/1.html

If those items save you enough money I would check into Monitor 70s and the CS2 for your front 3 speakers and Monitor 30s as surrounds.

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
Agreed.

Get the S10.3 or PSW505 off Newegg. Or the BIC F12 from Newegg. Stay away from the PSW10. If you can't afford one of the others, then wait until you can.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the input. I'm looking at the Onkyo TX-NR414 for an AVR. It's a bit cheaper than the TX-NR609 , which is what I'd otherwise get. Think this would be a good fit for my system?

The BIC F12 looks perfect and it's a bit cheaper than the PWS505. I really like the subdued styling. I think I should upgrade to a CS2 as well for the center speaker.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I'd also check out the Denon 1712. It has a better version of Audessy on it. I have one and absolutely love it. The difference from before Audessy and after is pretty impressive.

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
Agreed.

The Onkyo TX-NR414 has Audyssey 2EQ. All other things being equal, it it is better to get a receiver with Audyssey MultiEQ or better because it will also equalize the sub, which 2EQ will not. Subs often need as much or more EQ help in a room than the rest of your speakers.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The Denon AVR-1712 looks great but I can't find one for sale for less than $399. Are there any cheaper options that have MultEQ xt? That seems like the big feature to have.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've basically got it down to the following:

Fronts: Polk M60s ($240)

Center: Polk CS2 ($120)

Surrounds: Polk M30s ($90)

Sub: BIC F12 for now, PSW505 if it drops to $200 again ($200)

AVR: Denon AVR-1912 (probably refurbished, $350)

I think that puts me right at $1000, plus a bit extra for wiring and misc.

Okay guys, I think I've done it!

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
Congrats!

Since it sounds like you might be new to Denon receivers and Audyssey room correction software, take a look at the guides written by AVS member batpig . They will be extremely helpful

1 - 14 of 14 Posts