AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have seen a picture of it, courtesy of www.audiomidi.com, NAMM 2001 coverage. Try it. Only 100kB pix.

Appears to be an all-on-one PCB. Can't tell the codec but appears to be a single IC, not stereo pairs. So it appears they focused on cost but will it match the more expensive Delta1010? I would guess it should be somewhere between the Audiophile and the 1010.

Good. More selection.

:)

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
This is good as the 1010 seems to be a dead end. at least for WINDVD. Shelina from Intervideo keeps e-mailing me that they do not support the card even for Dolby Digital, and I cannot get WINDVD 2000M to turn opn for anything other than stereo.

As Cliff has an in with M-Auduio, would suggest that they include the following in their software:

1. Dolby digital decoding for DVD and HDTV

2. DTS decoding for DVD and CD

3. Ambience extraction for external audio and CD's

4. 24/96 decoding dor Audio DVD's

If they can do this, they would take over the functions of external pre-pro's costing several thousand dollars and it would be a real winner.

If it just does Dolby Digital, it will be worthless. Bill

·
Registered
67 Posts
If we're making wish lists add DD and DTS decoding of external sources. I have HD cable so I can't go with a hipix, but if I got this card I'd like to dump my reciever for some good power amps.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Bill,

I still think the Delta 1010 is the way to go...

All the decoding you mention is in software.

With some minor actions taken by M-Audio to improve the driver/mixer,

the 1010 is perfect.

With the new card, which is based on the same foundation as the 1010, M-Audio is aiming for the HTPC market.

They will then finally realize the need for volume/gain control for all channels. This will hopefully be implemented for the 1010 as well!

If not, I will start digging in the external DA box and put something in to control the max gain produced by the DA box.

Since you still cannot get multichannel (DD) decoding out of WinDVD, you

need to install the computer. Something must be really screwed up in there somewhere!

My 1010 is still at M-Audio, I will make a step by step instruction for you, how I got it to work (don't recall doing anything out of the ordinary though!).

Have you got the "DTS" version yet? It works great!

------------------

/Sören

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the infos.

Nice that HTPC-conscious products are emerging.

Another feature that I would prefer would be a delay adjustment where you input the distance of each speaker from the listening position.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Thanks Soren. I too agree that the 1010 outputs the best digital sound I've had the pleasure of hearing, including top of the line high end audio digital decoders I've reviewed. I'm wondering whether the problem with WINDVD 2000M is because I use the ASUS board and their software includes an OEM version of WINDVD. I hate fooling around with it noe as I'm getting such good results from Power DVD 3.0 and Intervideo through their help e-mail claims that they don't support this board. Will probably wait until I get the DTS version. Thanks. Bill

·
Registered
207 Posts
Bill, the OEM versions are almost always missing DD decoding, because it means a licence payment to Dolby. If you upgrade to the full version it should work fine. Note that neither PowerDVD nor WinDVD have specific support for any 6-channel cards - they just support the generic Windows WDM 6-channel spec, and all cards that fit that spec work. Since the 1010 has WDM drivers, it should (and does, in my experience) work with all software capable of outputting 6 channels.

·
Registered
207 Posts
From the photo it seems like this card is offers 8 analog ins and outs plus S/PDIF in and out. Note that there's no separate DAC unit, and according to Cliff it's based on Envy24. So in other words, this card is a 1010 with the DACs built onto the PCI card itself - a budget version of the 1010. It will probably have marginally worse sound quality but will be much cheaper. Also hopefully it will mean some new investment is put into the drivers.

Since it's so similar to the 1010 and all the existing Delta cards use a single driver today, I would bet that the new drivers will work perfectly with the 1010.

·
Registered
207 Posts
The more I think about it the more this card looks like a SBLive 5.1 killer. It should compete directly with the SBLive 5.1 but offer much better performance without a radical price difference.

·
Registered
493 Posts

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
Mike,

I don’t have a prototype card yet. Talked with the project manager last week and they are discussing the analog interface to be used for the Theater card. If they leave it in the current configuration I could have a card in about a month or it they change the interface a new PC board would have to be designed. I’ve upgraded my receiver to a 7.1 getting ready to test the new soundcard.

How was that for not saying anything? http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

------------------

Best Regards, Cliff

Digital Connection, LLC

[email protected]

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.