AVS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone

I will be purchasing a new home theater shortly and was wondering what people thought of this system.

I have an apartment.. Built in the 60s so fairly solid concert walls and such. The room is 32' x 12' The system would for the most part be going along the 32' wall in the center.

80% of the time will be tv/moves with the remainder music

I will most likely be getting the Panasonic TC-P54VT25 TV

Center speaker: Definitive Technology Mythos Three Center

Left/Right: Bowers And Wilkins 684

Rear right/left. as of now I'm thinking about the Definitive Tech Pro Monitor 800 Bookshelf speakers. I haven't had a chance to hear Bowers & Wilkins 686 (It's a bit more expensive too. If Warranted though, i can drive to a shop further away to hear them in person) Thoughts between the two...

Subwoffer
efinitive Prosub800 ( In second place Omni Series 8")

Receiver: Denon AVR-2311CI (I'm stuck between the Pioneer VSX-1120-k though. I noticed that the Denon isn't THX certified. Is this really a big loss? The Pioneer also has a lot more "convince features" such as networking, better ipod integration, which is something to consider guess. Thoughts between the two?)

DVD Player: PS3.

Also recommendation of a good speaker cable would be great.

Thanks so much for any opinions/advice.

-Harris

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
If there is a Best Buy near you, they now carry the B&W 600 and Cm series along with most Def Techs. No Mythos though(?). Go have a listen.

Don't worry about the THX thing too much. Is the 1120 THX certified?

·
Registered
19,548 Posts
THX is not a big deal with Blu-ray. You need to voice match the front

3 channel speakers. Get the biggest subwoofer that you can afford.

14 AWG oxygen free copper cable is fine - from Radioshack or from

Monoprice.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
zieglj01 is correct. You don’t want to get Def Tech center with B&W fronts. For surrounds it is not as important but you need to make sure your front 3 are voice matched. If possible using the same speaker for the front 3 speakers would be ideal. If you have to get a horizontal center then make sure it’s the same brand and in the same line as the fronts.

No I don't think THX matters on receivers. In my experience the Denons have a little more power than the pioneer. I have used a Denon 1508, 2310, and 3310. I have used a Pioneer 1020 and even the Denon 1508 (rated at 75 x 7) seemed to do better with loud music and movies than the 1020. You do have to step up to the 3311 to get the networking on the denon. Also the 3311 has Audyssey Multi EQ XT so you might get better sound quality due to the better room correction.

·
Banned
8,743 Posts
Like what was stated above, typically you want the front stage to match. I will also say that subwoofer looks awfully weak for a room of that size. Maybe that is not so bad as a more beefy sub might cause problems for your neighbors.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies, I really appreciate it.

I know its best to voice match as much as possible. And its one of the dilemmas that I'm running into. I love the sound of the Bowers And Wilkins 684 and I love the clarity of the Definitive Technology Mythos Three Center. I wasn't too much a fan of the BW HTM61 center. I was told that the BW and the Deftech would be a close match. (Disagree??) Also with the room layout the seating/tv layout is in the center of the room, with the foyer being on the left and the dining area on the right. I was told, and it seems true to, that the BW HTM61 are more directional/sweet spotted in the center. So if I'm sitting at my dining room table the center sound is not going to be as good (relative) compared to the Deftechs.

In regards to the subwoofer, yeah, I'm trying to be a little conservative cause i'm afraid of noise complaints from my neighbors, above/below, and behind em.

ahh decisions, decision.

Thanks again

-Harris

·
Registered
19,548 Posts
B&W and Def Tech are different.

The best way to understand the difference - is put a different center

with the front speakers and then play music. When watching movies -

you want the sound to be on the same plane and line from left to right

and right to left. You want the dimensions to balance out. It is good

that you are thinking about the neighbors.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Yea it's not good to mix like that. I had some paradigm studio 20s with a paradigm monitor cc370 center channel. I thought since they were both paradigm I would be ok but when I switched to the studio center it made a huge difference. I could not get that wall of sound till I got the matched center. I wouldn't recommend mixing with another brand.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I made it to a Best Buy yesterday to hear the HTM61 and the HTM62 again and do agree with the noticeable difference in sound when the center speaker is not paired with a same system sides.

So new system is as follows

Center speaker: Bowers And Wilkins HTM61

Left/Right: Bowers And Wilkins 684

Rear right/left. Definitive Tech Pro Monitor 800 Bookshelf speakers.

Subwoofer: Definitive Prosub1000

Receiver: Denon AVR-2311CI

I still like the clarity of the Definitive Technology Mythos Three Center more, but I will sacrifice to achieve a better overall sounding system. I also went back and forth between the HTM61 and the HTM62. The 61 definitely did sound more punchier. But it kind of sounded like the they system was setup a little different. Unfortunately the sales person wasn't too knowledgeable.

I also decide to stick with the Deftech rear. While the 686 did sound a little better, acting as rear speakers and being a $200 difference I figure I'll save a little money there, as it probably won't be too noticeable.

I decided to go up a model in the sub, being a large apartment and to more match the power of the fronts. I figure I can always turn it down if the noise/vibrations is a problem. I was looking at the REL T3BLA but that is a little over my price point but more so, I think they may be too powerful for an apartment.

I decided on the Denon AVR-2311CI as one of the main reasons I was looking at the Pioneer VSX-1120-k was for the networking features. But I figure for I can get an AppleTV for cheep that has the music/video streaming capabilities for cheaper and a better interface.

I am still very open to comments/opinions about this system and/or any recommendations. I'm still going back and forth between the HTM61 and the HTM62. I searched the forums and the web extensively and its mixed opinions. I know my ears are the best judge, but I feel the testing setup skewed the result s a little.

Thanks again

-Harris

·
Registered
650 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo466 /forum/post/19533780

Subwoofer: Definitive Prosub1000

I decided to go up a model in the sub, being a large apartment and to more match the power of the fronts. I figure I can always turn it down if the noise/vibrations is a problem. I was looking at the REL T3BLA but that is a little over my price point but more so, I think they may be too powerful for an apartment.

I am still very open to comments/opinions about this system and/or any recommendations.

You're on the right track (using your ears to be the judge) but I'm surprised that nobody has suggested an Internet Direct sub. I believe you'll get much better bang for the buck by spending ~$500 of your budget on a good ID sub such as a HSU VTF-2, SVS PB10-NSD, or Outlaw LFM-1 Plus, rather than on the one you've chosen.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for everyone's continued opinions/advice.

I plan to have a center entertainment unit under the TV so a 684 for a center will be ruled out.

In regards to the subs. My choice partly had to do with what I am able to hear. I don't feel comfortable enough getting a sub blindly. Also in regards to better bang for my buck, being an apartment I am trying not to make too much bang. ( I understand your point that if I'm paying X amount I should get the best for that price range)

Looking real quick, the HSU and the Outlaw looked to be downward firing where the Def tech is more forward firing which I think would be better for an apartment .

-Harris

1 - 13 of 13 Posts