AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for some help. I am putting in a new home theater, not dedicated. Will probably listen to classic rock as well. The room is 13x16, all drywall. The speakers I am considering are polk audio RTi8 for front right and left, CSi5 for center, and RTi6 for the 4 surrounds. Does this sound like it would work for the room? Will I need a sub with these? Any speakers that would do a better job for around the same $1200? Thanks, for the help.

·
Registered
10,239 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't know why, but I am kind of stuck on 7.x. If I have to get sub, I will need to cut back on the speakers. Is there a reason to not go 7.x? I have kids running around, too, so all floor mount won't work, along with the rear being in the walk. The screen will be about 2.5' off the floor, too.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sndnichols  /t/1524722/new-home-theater-speakers#post_24542298

Don't know why, but I am kind of stuck on 7.x. If I have to get sub, I will need to cut back on the speakers. Is there a reason to not go 7.x? I have kids running around, too, so all floor mount won't work, along with the rear being in the walk. The screen will be about 2.5' off the floor, too.

Reasons to stick with five versus seven speakers:

The room is not that big

Very little programming is available in anything above 5.1

Have a few good speakers versus lots of mediocre ones will tend to sound better.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So are the speakers mediocre? I could cut back to 5 speakers and get a good sub. Does that make better sense? How about the same speakers and an hsu sf2 sub? Does that sound better for the room?

·
Registered
1,679 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sndnichols  /t/1524722/new-home-theater-speakers#post_24542520

So are the speakers mediocre? I could cut back to 5 speakers and get a good sub. Does that make better sense? How about the same speakers and an hsu sf2 sub? Does that sound better for the room?

I did not mean to imply your speakers are mediocre, I have no experience or knowledge about the ones you mentioned.

I just meant fewer of a higher quality can be a good idea.

·
Registered
475 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sndnichols  /t/1524722/new-home-theater-speakers#post_24541601

I am looking for some help. I am putting in a new home theater, not dedicated. Will probably listen to classic rock as well. The room is 13x16, all drywall. The speakers I am considering are polk audio RTi8 for front right and left, CSi5 for center, and RTi6 for the 4 surrounds. Does this sound like it would work for the room? Will I need a sub with these? Any speakers that would do a better job for around the same $1200? Thanks, for the help.
For home theater you are going to want a decent sub, especially given the speakers you listed. The RTi8 is a 2 way that does not even have sub-woofers, just a tweeter and a couple of 6.5" mid range drivers. The "lower 3 db" limit is listed as 40Hz. You'll be missing a lot of bass content if there's no sub to fill in the lows.

For the money I think those Polks will be a good choice. I say that based only on lots of reading and research. I may be bias, I have decided I want to upgrade to the Polk RTi line starting later this year, and may even go RTi8 fronts and will go CSi5 center. The value is there, I think, since the new RTiA series is what goes for full price while the RTi[number] series sells at a reduced price, new from polk, at their eBay store. I assume you know that, since the 7 speakers you listed total to $1,175 there and you quoted $1,200. 

http://stores.ebay.com/polkaudiodirect/

Subs seem to have pockets of 'value' at different prices, in other words, at certain price levels there is a jump in what you get for the money. $300 or under, then $500, and then $800 seems to be about where the rungs of the ladder fall (and up from there of course). I would plan to spend AT LEAST $200 on a sub for home theater use. (and I'm still a relative noob, so take this post with a grain of salt, it's based mostly on reading and not so much on first hand experience)

Do you have or have you decided on an AVR? 

The HSU STF2 seems to be decent, that or an SVS PB-1000 sound like a good starting point to start from as you shop around. Check out the budget sub thread as well if you want to go that route:  http://www.avsforum.com/t/1364182/list-of-budget-subwoofers-300-and-less

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farley1  /t/1524722/new-home-theater-speakers#post_24543128

The HSU STF2 seems to be decent, that or an SVS PB-1000 sound like a good starting point to start from as you shop around. Check out the budget sub thread as well if you want to go that route:  http://www.avsforum.com/t/1364182/list-of-budget-subwoofers-300-and-less

Agreed. The STF-2 is definitely a good sub, but it can be worthwhile to step up to the PB-1000.

And I agree with everyone else about 7.1. Better to put your budget towards a better 5.1 setup, or even a 5.2 setup (dual subs can be awesome!)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
bladerunner6, that was just a question. I don't really know. It has been 35 years since I looked at stereo components. The last speakers I had were Cerwin Vega 12TR's from the late 70's. No offense taken at all.

Well, sounds like I just need to rough in for future 7.1, cut back to 2 RTi6, and get a sub, either the STF-2 or the PB-1000. I don't have an AVR, but have been looking t the Denon 2113iC, x2000 or the onkyo 626. Do they make sense with the speakers? Thanks again for the help!

·
Registered
1,679 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sndnichols  /t/1524722/new-home-theater-speakers#post_24543987

bladerunner6, that was just a question. I don't really know. It has been 35 years since I looked at stereo components. The last speakers I had were Cerwin Vega 12TR's from the late 70's. No offense taken at all.

Well, sounds like I just need to rough in for future 7.1, cut back to 2 RTi6, and get a sub, either the STF-2 or the PB-1000. I don't have an AVR, but have been looking t the Denon 2113iC, x2000 or the onkyo 626. Do they make sense with the speakers? Thanks again for the help!

Any of those would work, but a X1000 would save you some money.

And receivers are the one thing that will age out in your system, so buying the least expensive one that suits your needs is generally a good idea.

Also, in terms of the Onkyo, there are reports of HDMI failures.

I would also check with your local B&M stores to see if they have any open box units or closeouts on sale.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sndnichols  /t/1524722/new-home-theater-speakers#post_24542298

Better off going 5.1 than a 7.0 system. Homethearters are better with subwoofers. If you were just looking for a music listening room you can do with just full range towers. As for surrounds I would suggest the RTi4's

My HT has Polk RTi4's with a CSi3 center(unfortunately all my speakers are in storage right now) but great setup for the price. Polk's RTi's are not mediorce speakers they are a bit under rated here cause most people think they are just glorified Polk Monitors or TSi-Series (Which they aren't, I had the Polk Monitors before my RTi's)

THe PB-1000 is a great sub and will do amazing in your 1900 cu. ft room (assuming 8ft ceilings)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, I went 5.1 as suggested. I pulled the trigger on the onkyo NR626, (2) RTi8's for front, CSi5 for center, and (2) RTi6's for surround. The savings are going toward the sub. The guys over in the sub area have suggested PB12 NSD and the VTF-2.4. I am strongly leaning towrd the 2.4 since it is downfiring. I look forward to hearing these. When I get the room built, I will post some pics. Thought I would let y'all know some people do listen to the advise. I really appreciate your help!

·
Registered
7,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sndnichols  /t/1524722/new-home-theater-speakers#post_24555100

Ok, I went 5.1 as suggested. I pulled the trigger on the onkyo NR626, (2) RTi8's for front, CSi5 for center, and (2) RTi6's for surround. The savings are going toward the sub. The guys over in the sub area have suggested PB12 NSD and the VTF-2.4. I am strongly leaning towrd the 2.4 since it is downfiring. I look forward to hearing these. When I get the room built, I will post some pics. Thought I would let y'all know some people do listen to the advise. I really appreciate your help!
Can't go wrong with either of those subwoofers.

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425  /t/1524722/new-home-theater-speakers#post_24555210

Can't go wrong with either of those subwoofers.

I agree. Of those two, I'd lean toward the PB12, but both are good subs.

Why do you have a preference for downfiring?

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
That makes sense. Downfiring will definitely help with discouraging prodding fingers

If you want to discourage them completely, the Outlaw Audio LFM-1 Plus , very similar to the VTF-2 MK4, even has the ports on the bottom instead of on the back:

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sndnichols  /t/1524722/new-home-theater-speakers#post_24555793

If I can get B-stock, would the LFM-1ex be better? It would push my 600 budget to the limit.

The LFM-1 EX is a great sub for the money if you can get it b-stock. It will definitely have more max output than the other two, and will sound as good.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts