AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am new to this forum and have been scouring for information on a new set up. There is an abundance of information here and I enjoy reading about the many products members have installed.

I will post a diagram later but I have the following to work with:

Will be purchasing either Samsung UN75H6350AFXZA or Sharp LC-70UQ17U

System will be set up in an 18 x 13 living room. The 18ft. side opens to an identical 18 x 13 living room. Herein lies the problem with sufficient audio to compensate for loss through the opening.

Ceiling height I would guess to be 10ft. but I will modify once I get my diagram uploaded.

I am looking to start out with a 2.1 / 3.1 system since I have the option to place the tv on 3 different walls of main living room and eventually move on to a 5.1 if necessary.

I need a receiver, speakers and subwooofer. I do not have a set budget so I want to go conservative yet buy quality products for my purpose listed below.

We watch a lot movies, sports and like to have parties so music is a big consideration in the type of speakers I would buy. I eventually want to put an outdoor sound system and tv under a cabana.

I appreciate all the responses in advance and will supply more information if needed including a diagram once complete.

Thank you!

CR

·
Premium Member
8,881 Posts
Hi,

I am new to this forum and have been scouring for information on a new set up. There is an abundance of information here and I enjoy reading about the many products members have installed.

I will post a diagram later but I have the following to work with:

Will be purchasing either Samsung UN75H6350AFXZA or Sharp LC-70UQ17U

System will be set up in an 18 x 13 living room. The 18ft. side opens to an identical 18 x 13 living room. Herein lies the problem with sufficient audio to compensate for loss through the opening.

Ceiling height I would guess to be 10ft. but I will modify once I get my diagram uploaded.

I am looking to start out with a 2.1 / 3.1 system since I have the option to place the tv on 3 different walls of main living room and eventually move on to a 5.1 if necessary.

I need a receiver, speakers and subwooofer. I do not have a set budget so I want to go conservative yet buy quality products for my purpose listed below.

We watch a lot movies, sports and like to have parties so music is a big consideration in the type of speakers I would buy. I eventually want to put an outdoor sound system and tv under a cabana.

I appreciate all the responses in advance and will supply more information if needed including a diagram once complete.

Thank you!

CR

OK, so far you have given lots of information to work with.
But without an idea of a budget, there is not much for us to help with!
One may think $2000 and another may think way below or way above that.
Just give us an idea of how much you would like to spend maximum or minimum.

Think of a budget and help will come:)

Ray

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok...so I was thinking about $750-$1000. I see how much HTIB systems are and so I figure to get better quality/sound I can spend more than what these systems go for.

I am just wanting to start out with a 2.1/3.1 system which I am now thinking might be better to go with 3.1?

Thanks.

·
Registered
32,784 Posts
Ok...so I was thinking about $750-$1000. I see how much HTIB systems are and so I figure to get better quality/sound I can spend more than what these systems go for.

I am just wanting to start out with a 2.1/3.1 system which I am now thinking might be better to go with 3.1?

Thanks.
Towers, book shelf, in-wall or on-wall?

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
If these speakers are back in stock, they would be a solid choice:

$225 / pair (includes shipping) EMP Tek R5Bi bookshelf speaker (formally E5Bi): http://emptek.com/r5bi.php (I own these)
Andrew Robinson's video review:

Add either another R5Bi for a center channel @ $112.50 as I did (includes shipping) or add their R5Ci center channel R5Ci @ $195: http://emptek.com/r5ci.php

You have your front stage completed for between $337.50 and $420. At a $1,000 budget, it leaves you between $580 and $662.50 for a subwoofer.

Because you have two medium size rooms that are wide open to each other, that puts you on the top end of a large room as far as subwoofers are concerned. You’re looking for a subwoofer with good output. You might want to take a look at the following:

$350 - $400 Premier Acoustics PA-150 (15-inch ported design). Note: This is a $500 subwoofer. Make an offer on eBay and many have gotten this sub for $350 (yes, a new sub). Make a bid on Premier Acoustics website and they usually accept $400. This is a high output sub above 40 Hz, but plays surprisingly well down to 30 Hz.

Also look at the Rythmik LV12R @ $569 (includes shipping): http://www.rythmikaudio.com/LV12R.html or the Outlaw Audio Ultra-X12 @ $639 (check on shipping): http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/ultra.html

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I appreciate the input for the frontstage. Is there a huge difference between these 5 1/4" speakers and say 6 1/2" speakers?

Also, I do need an AVR so either I have to decrease my sub budget or re-work the entire system.

Thoughts?

Thank you.

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
There are dozens of quality AVRs for under $300. Some even under $150. You can find them here: http://www.accessories4less.com/mak.../receivers-amps/home-theater-receivers/1.html Just go through them to see if they have the features you're looking for.

Yes, that puts a bit of a crimp on the subwoofer selection. But the PA-150 is a heck of a sub for under $400, and many have purchased this sub for $350. See data-bass for its output compared to other much more expensive subs: http://www.data-bass.com/systems

Bookshelf speakers with 6-1/2” drivers will usually get 10 Hz lower (and will usually cost more, but not always), so they can often reach 50 Hz and perhaps lower. But since you are going to buy a sub, it is a moot point since you will be crossing your speakers over at 80 Hz.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.