AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.
I am new to the AVS. I am a novice with home theater, however, I did install quite a few competition car stereo systems. But that was years ago. Now I am trying to re-educate myself for Home Audio.

I am planning a 7.1 system in a 14' x 33' room. (Theater type set up)
Mostly it will be movies, and sports, possibly a gaming system in the future.

I am leaning toward the Fluance Signature speakers. (They are decent speakers for my budget) I have about a $2500 budget for speakers and the receiver. I can push this to $3000 if I NEED to. That being said, my receiver budget is about $1300.
Fluance Signature Bipolar 5.0 system. Plus 2 more Signature Bookshelf. (Google it for the specs if you choose)

The Subwoofer will have to be powered regardless, I am sure of that.

Can someone help me choose a good receiver? Dennon? Onkyo? Marantz?

If you plan to comment and bash me on my speaker selection then I honestly don't have time or patience for your comments. I have not made my final selection on speakers at this time. But the specs on the Fluance are VERY close to the other brands that I am considering.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I have Marantz. 7008 as my control center, but actually use a separate amp ( Emotiva XPA5).
The current top end Marantz (7011) has the same features plus wireless options.
They have the 5, 6, and 7 series in their top end, you can compare them on their web site (and Crutchfield I think) side by side and decide which options you want or need.
If you can find a year before model you can save up to 50%.

It has a slew of features and also sounds amazing for stereo only. Marantz, as a company always considered music fidelity first. As far back as the 70's I think.
They focus on sound excellence just like (your ) Fluance Speaker Company does.
I love it, but it did need an external fan to keep cool, (I don't us air conditioning like most people do!) ACInfinity took care of that.
I also considered Pioneer and Denon upper end models. I know Pioneer considers music fidelity too. And I know Denon is very popular but have never heard one.

I would not consider anything that does not have pre outs for separate amps.
Lower end models do not have pre outs.
If you eventually want separate power amps, you'd have to upgrade again if you miss this.

and yes you will have a separate powered sub.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Hello everyone.
I am new to the AVS. I am a novice with home theater, however, I did install quite a few competition car stereo systems. But that was years ago. Now I am trying to re-educate myself for Home Audio.

I am leaning toward the Fluance Signature speakers. (They are decent speakers for my budget) I have about a $2500 budget for speakers and the receiver. I can push this to $3000 if I NEED to. That being said, my receiver budget is about $1300.
Fluance Signature Bipolar 5.0 system. Plus 2 more Signature Bookshelf. (Google it for the specs if you choose)

If you plan to comment and bash me on my speaker selection then I honestly don't have time or patience for your comments. I have not made my final selection on speakers at this time. But the specs on the Fluance are VERY close to the other brands that I am considering.
You can have an amazing home theater with the size of your room. I have purchased and used several different brands of AVRs over the years and my favorite is now Denon (great sound, features, and support and is a brother to Marantz owned by the same company).

Please consider future-proofing your home theater in spite of your stated budget. Dolby Atmos with 4 overhead ceiling speakers should be seriously entertained if possible. I've gone from 5.1 to 7.1 and enjoyed it. Then I upgraded to 5.2.4 (2 subwoofers as the .2) and I am continuously blown away. If you stay with a 7.1 base layer, it's just that you'd need a very capable AVR (and possibly a second amp) to power 11 channels. Without going too far down this audio rabbit hole, your choice in AVR will be Atmos capable or not. If you are interested in 3D audio formats like Atmos or DTS:X, then plan out how many speakers you'll want to power.

·
Registered
21,757 Posts
Hello everyone.

Yes, Denon for your receiver.

Fluance are built to price speakers so I'd suggest you at least try some excellent speakers that are easy to return at Best Buy that most would consider a significant step up from Fluance.

Polk Signature Series has an excellent array of towers and bookshelves to choose from.

Well received by the Pro Press, (look at the Sound and Vision review as one example), as well as AVS members.

For a subwoofer I'd look at these.

PORTED SUBWOOFERS $600 AND BELOW, DELIVERED

NOTE: IF LOOKING AT LARGER/MORE EXPENSIVE SUBWOOFERS ADD PSA TO THE LIST OF BRANDS

ALSO, IF YOU ARE NOT AN ACTION MOVIE FAN A SUBWOOFER WITH 22-30HZ EXTENSION WOULD BE FINE

Specs are from the manufacturer unless noted otherwise.

150watts =11w18h13d= 18 lbs 8" [28hz] $199 EMOTIVA BASX S8

200watts =14w16h16d= 34 lbs 10" [27hz] $299 EMOTIVA BASX S10

300watts =17w18h18d= 49 lbs 12" [22hz] $399 EMOTIVA BASX S12, (extension from Brent Butterworth measurement)

350watts =15w16h17d= 40 lbs 10" [30hz] $399 RSL SPEEDWOOFER 10S, (extension from Sound & Vision review)

250watts =15w19h17d= 42 lbs 10" [22hz] $433 HSU VTF 1 MK3

200 watts =16w19h17d= 52 lbs 12" [22hz] $439 HTD LEVEL THREE

400watts =17w21hx22d= 66 lbs 12" [19hz] $500 SVS PB12 NSD, (extension from Sound & Vision Review)
THE Amazon OFFER IS FOR A VERY LIMITED TIME ONLY

300watts =15w19h20d= 46 lbs 10" [18hz] $499 SVS PB1000, (extension from Sound & Vision Review)

500watts =15w19h20d= 72 lbs 10" [20hz] $500 MONOPRICE MONOLITH THX 10"

300watts =16w22h21d= 69 lbs* 12" [19hz] $549 RHYTHMIK LV12R

350watts =15w21h22d= 62 lbs 12" [18hz] $604 HSU VTF2 MK5, (verified by Audioholics review)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Great choice on speakers. I will be also doing a fluance 7.1.4 Atmos system in my new theatre. I will be using a denon x6400 or maybe the older x6300 receiver to run all 7 fluance speakers and the 4 ceiling speakers.

I would go denon all the way

1 - 5 of 5 Posts