AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I am planning out a theatre for my unfinished basement so I want to have everything in mind and a place that it will go before we do our drywall (2 months out). The theatre seating/screen area is 15 ft. by 16 ft, but there is an additional 10 ft behind and 5 on the sides of seating areas. I think we decided on the BenQ W6000 with an Elite Screen, so now I am onto trying to figure out the speaker situation. From what I have researched thus far I am actually leaning towards a 5.1 system. The extra money compared to the practicality and use of the extra two speakers tends to be outweighed on the negative side. If this is a bad conclusion I would love additonal opinions about that.

Well, I guess my real question is what would be some good speakers to look at for my surround sound? Currently I am thinking in ceiling speakers for my back L and R and exposed speakers for FL, FR, and center. I am probably looking at maybe $1000 for the speaker budget, but that is fairly flexable. Any suggestions for different setups and speakers that would be worth checking out would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, I am reading mixed reviews on even placing the rear speakers in the ceiling. This is not a must have for me so if the speakers will sound better I can mount them to the ceiling rather than in it. I am just trying to keep the area "clean" of wires.

·
Registered
11,741 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler6734 /forum/post/0

Also, I am reading mixed reviews on even placing the rear speakers in the ceiling. This is not a must have for me so if the speakers will sound better I can mount them to the ceiling rather than in it. I am just trying to keep the area "clean" of wires.

I have done it both ways for surrounds (in-ceiling, on-wall). I really don't think the difference for surround audio is that noticeable. Most people go with in-ceiling if they have placement issues with side walls.

With your budget I would focus on your mains and sub. Do you have a receiver or is that part of the $1k budget?

·
Registered
11,741 Posts

Quote:

Hello! I am planning out a theatre for my unfinished basement so I want to have everything in mind and a place that it will go before we do our drywall (2 months out). The theatre seating/screen area is 15 ft. by 16 ft, but there is an additional 10 ft behind and 5 on the sides of seating areas. I think we decided on the BenQ W6000 with an Elite Screen, so now I am onto trying to figure out the speaker situation. From what I have researched thus far I am actually leaning towards a 5.1 system. The extra money compared to the practicality and use of the extra two speakers tends to be outweighed on the negative side. If this is a bad conclusion I would love additonal opinions about that.

Well, I guess my real question is what would be some good speakers to look at for my surround sound? Currently I am thinking in ceiling speakers for my back L and R and exposed speakers for FL, FR, and center. I am probably looking at maybe $1000 for the speaker budget, but that is fairly flexable. Any suggestions for different setups and speakers that would be worth checking out would be greatly appreciated!

Also, I would go ahead and wire the room for 7.2. It will be cheaper and much easier now than later.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk /forum/post/20791208

Also, I would go ahead and wire the room for 7.2. It will be cheaper and much easier now than later.

Not a bad idea thanks for the suggestion with the wiring, I will definitely do that. I was thinking just speakers for that $1000, so any suggestions with the reciever wouldn't hurt either.

·
Registered
11,741 Posts

Quote:

Not a bad idea thanks for the suggestion with the wiring, I will definitely do that. I was thinking just speakers for that $1000, so any suggestions with the reciever wouldn't hurt either.

Hard to beat this deal:
http://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVR-1611...2642394&sr=8-4

How large a screen are you looking to put in the room. Your room is not exceptionally wide, so I want to make sure you are not trying to cram speakers in the corner.

As far as what these speakers will be used for, are we talking home theater, music, or a mix of both? Are you looking to play these speakers loud normally, or do you listen at more normal levels.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk /forum/post/20791261

Hard to beat this deal:
http://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVR-1611...2642394&sr=8-4

How large a screen are you looking to put in the room. Your room is not exceptionally wide, so I want to make sure you are not trying to cram speakers in the corner.

As far as what these speakers will be used for, are we talking home theater, music, or a mix of both? Are you looking to play these speakers loud normally, or do you listen at more normal levels.

Right now I am looking at going with a 135" screen. It is 20' wide if that makes any difference. I took 5' off the total when figuring in a little walkway/ extra space. Also on the back side there is another 15' roughly that will be "open space" which will probably be used for a bar area.

The primary use of this system is for movies and tv watching. I'm sure music will be on from time to time, but at a reasonable level. The loudest the speakers will be pushed will be during movies without a doubt.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Hello Tyler, heres just my thoughs/opinion on your set up....

Sounds as if you have done & still are doing some good research on the subject. I do believe the front stage as you have descriped will be the best, as you mentiond "exposed" for the center & towers. As far as the surrounds & maybe the rears if installed its kinda a toss up per say. In the ceiling & in walls is a much cleaner look I do agree as the sound stage can still be acheived quite well. The advantage with using "exposed" such as book shelf of satellite's as you can eighter have the books at ear level on a stand or the sat.'s higher up aimed down toward the listing area... as they would both be more of an advantage to require the better stage/feild of the seating area... or you can use towers as surrounds as well.

As far as 5.1 vs the 7.1 I too have mixed feelings about that as well. The 7.1 does come in quite handy at times BUT is it worth it... maybe?? Heres my thought... if you are building the HT set up and its unfinished as you said I personaly would at least run the wires & plan on using/installing the set up as a 7.1! It may come down to it as if you didnt do it... you wished you did in the back of your mind later on when its finished!

The best advise for speakers are to go have a listen for yourself to a few lines at a local store such as a dedicated HT store or even Best Buy ( or what ever you have access too). Speakers/sound is subjective as you I/he/she may love the line/brand as you may not and vice verse. Now given I said that... its not always possible to do that as I undestand. I went through the same situation a ways back as I can only imagine quite a few of us are in the same bost to where it impossible to listen to quite a few good lines as some are exclusive to where you cant. For an example I bet that at least 50% ( taking a wild quess here) of people have bought there set up "blind" as to where they tookm a chance or what ever it be and purchased thier speakers without hearing them... such as I did on a couple of them. I bought the Bic Accoustech line "blinded" as I do really like them ..esp for HT! They are a good budget peaker in my opinion!

Anyhow, not sure if any of this help out as I just thought I would vast my opinon is all. Good luck & have fun!!

·
Registered
11,741 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler6734 /forum/post/20791282

Right now I am looking at going with a 135" screen. It is 20' wide if that makes any difference. I took 5' off the total when figuring in a little walkway/ extra space. Also on the back side there is another 15' roughly that will be "open space" which will probably be used for a bar area.

Sounds like you have room then. You have a big room, I recommend going with some efficient speakers that are made for home theater. One option to think of is adding a false wall with an acoustically transparent screen (plan on losing about 2ft behind the screen. If you are DIY handy, you can order the screen material from SeymourAV and build the frame yourself (lots of info on how to do that at the SeymourAV site, or the screen subforum). The advantage is optimal placement, and it allows you to buy a matching vertical speaker for your center. Othewise you may find yourself with your center speaker being pretty low unless your ceilings are taller than 8'. The other advantage with an AT screen is the speakers are not in the room and it gives you a clean look. And if you have kids, it keeps their hands off the speakers. You can get the material and build the frame for around $400 or less typically.

Quote:
The primary use of this system is for movies and tv watching. I'm sure music will be on from time to time, but at a reasonable level. The loudest the speakers will be pushed will be during movies without a doubt.

I would focus the majority of your budget on some efficient speakers, and you will want to budget for a good sub and potentially add a second.

Do you have a Fry's nearby? In store they have the Infinity Primus 362 speaker on a great sale ($149 each):
http://www.frys.com/search?cat=-6027...998%20INFINITY

Solid home theater speaker. Another option: http://www.amazon.com/Boston-Acousti.../dp/B003E97P8O

On sale for $117 shipped each. Good speaker, and pretty efficient. If you go with an AT screen you could get three of these, or buy the matching center:
http://www.amazon.com/Boston-Acousti.../dp/B0008DJFQ4

This would give you a nice budget for a subwoofer. I would not skimp here and would go with something like this:
http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_...roducts_id=407

$415 shipped.

Then spend the rest on surrounds.

Lots of other options, but I would lean towards efficient speakers and get a good subwoofer.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk /forum/post/20793623

Sounds like you have room then. You have a big room, I recommend going with some efficient speakers that are made for home theater. One option to think of is adding a false wall with an acoustically transparent screen (plan on losing about 2ft behind the screen. If you are DIY handy, you can order the screen material from SeymourAV and build the frame yourself (lots of info on how to do that at the SeymourAV site, or the screen subforum). The advantage is optimal placement, and it allows you to buy a matching vertical speaker for your center. Othewise you may find yourself with your center speaker being pretty low unless your ceilings are taller than 8'. The other advantage with an AT screen is the speakers are not in the room and it gives you a clean look. And if you have kids, it keeps their hands off the speakers. You can get the material and build the frame for around $400 or less typically.

I would focus the majority of your budget on some efficient speakers, and you will want to budget for a good sub and potentially add a second.

Do you have a Fry's nearby? In store they have the Infinity Primus 362 speaker on a great sale ($149 each):
http://www.frys.com/search?cat=-6027...998%20INFINITY

Solid home theater speaker. Another option: http://www.amazon.com/Boston-Acousti.../dp/B003E97P8O

On sale for $117 shipped each. Good speaker, and pretty efficient. If you go with an AT screen you could get three of these, or buy the matching center:
http://www.amazon.com/Boston-Acousti.../dp/B0008DJFQ4

This would give you a nice budget for a subwoofer. I would not skimp here and would go with something like this:
http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_...roducts_id=407

$415 shipped.

Then spend the rest on surrounds.

Lots of other options, but I would lean towards efficient speakers and get a good subwoofer.

Thanks for all of the info! The speaker package looks great and we were actually thinking of building some type of artificial wall behind the screen anyways so I will look into your suggestion more. Again I appreciate it and the info is a huge help with getting the system put together!

·
Registered
11,741 Posts
Your welcome. My first theater did not have an acoustically transparent screen and I regretted it. The theater I am building now will have an AT screen, but I am going with in-wall speakers behind a screen.

Good luck.

·
Registered
11,741 Posts

Quote:

That is the Boston HS-450 btw... $150 refurbished on their site.

The VR1 is more efficient (takes less power to drive), but these look like nice speakers. Boston is a quality company, and it is hard to beat the price. I noticed the HS-460 is only $50 more and gives you larger woofers. They certainly are attractive looking.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Can any one tell me about Monitor Audio Speaker Sliver and how to cover a false wall and what is a Fabric Retention System I think this installer is trying to rip me off he wants 1200.00 to perwire my media room 1800.00 to hook everything up and i check his quotes out and they r all over price. I am going with the JVC Professional Projector and the Black diamond Screen pls help me I really need to get this wall cover asap

·
Registered
11,741 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mspat
Can any one tell me about Monitor Audio Speaker Sliver and how to cover a false wall and what is a Fabric Retention System I think this installer is trying to rip me off he wants 1200.00 to perwire my media room 1800.00 to hook everything up and i check his quotes out and they r all over price. I am going with the JVC Professional Projector and the Black diamond Screen pls help me I really need to get this wall cover asap
I highly recommend visiting the dedicated home theater forum:
http://archive.www.avsforum.com/avs-...splay.php?f=19

Search for the title "false wall". You will get tons of hits. This is a good thread to review:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=837848

Most people use acoustically transparent black fabric on their false wall. Guilford of Main (GOM) is a popular brand and I have picked up the fabric at craft stores like Joanns.

As for the rest of your post, it is really hard to follow what the installer is actually doing for the prices you mentioned. Did you get multiple quotes? Have you considered doing some of this yourself. It is not exactly rocket science to hook the gear up in this day and age of HDMI.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts