AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

First post so forgive me if it isn't in the right place. I'll also apologize if these are stupid questions - I've never had a built-in audio system before. I recently purchased a new home, which was a foreclosure. I seem to have inherited a PORTION of a home theater/room speaker system, and I'm trying to figure out how it will all need to go together.

Really, the only thing left is 4 in-ceiling speakers, which appear to be "Proficient Audio" brand C500 speakers. It is a square room, with one basically in each corner. The wires protrude from a hole in the wall in one corner of the room, next to a cable jack.

The room is set up to have a TV mounted over the fireplace, which is centered on one wall. There's an empty hole here, which I'm guessing used to house the AV cables from the TV down to the receiver, which I'd imagine was placed in the corner, where the speaker cables come out of the wall.

My questions:
1. It seems like most systems have 4 ceiling speakers, along with a center channel and woofer. There's no apparent center channel here (or a hole where one might have been). Is it possible to just run the 4 existing, already wired speakers in the ceiling?

2. What else will I need? Obviously, I'm going to need a receiver to wire the speakers to, along with the appropriate cables to run from the receiver to the TV (I'm assuming these will be long, 1/4in jack type speakers). Anything else?

3. The house had the holes in the wall covered by block-off plates, with any remaining wiring behind them. I'm assuming there is probably an appropriate outlet to use for something like this, as opposed to simply running the wires through a hole in the sheetrock?

4. Receivers - ultimately I'd like to get a receiver that will allow for the use of this system with the TV/DVD's, and an iPod/Radio. Given all the other expenses associated with buying a new home, I can't really "break the bank," but if you guys have recommendations for a budget receiver, I'm all ears!

Thanks,

Rick

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Forgot to mention:

the 4-blue wires are 2-pole (black/red) wires running to the speakers. Black is the cable jack, and white is a 4-pole (black, white, red, green) wire that currently runs to the basement, connected to nothing. They do say something like "AudioLogic" on the side, so my guess is that they went to this system at some point as well.

·
Banned
5,183 Posts
If there is a speaker in each corner sounds like it was wired with audio in mind. Maybe this room was a party room or game room before. Typically not the best setup for HT but you could make it work. The 2 speakers in the back would probably make good surround speakers but for a true home theater you really need a left, center, and right. You could try using the front 2 speakers as your left and right and use what's called a phantom center. Where voices would come from both left and right at the same time. It's not ideal but if a clean look is your goal it will work for you.

To clean up your wall outlet you can install something like this...
http://www.amazon.com/16-Post-speaker-Wall-Plate/dp/B000RK5BVG

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The room is the living/family room of the house. Really, it's the only room on the first floor aside from the kitchen/dining room. It may very well have been an "Audio Only" application - I guess I made an assumption when I saw the cable jack run through the same spot in the wall.

With regard to "Phantom Center" (which I've read some about here) - Are almost all modern receivers capable of redistributing the center channel to the left and right, or is this a specific option I should look for when receiver shopping?

Thanks for the lead on the wall jacks - I figured there was something out there that would work, I just didn't know if this was common, or if just leaving a hole in the sheetrock was more commonplace.

·
Banned
5,183 Posts
Every receiver I've ever owned has that ability so they should, but research the one you want. Basically you go into the receivers settings and disable center channel. Then the receiver automatically sends anything thats suppose to go to center to both left and right. Left and right still get what they would normally get so music will still sound good. This setup can work fine. My living room is setup the same way except I'm using in-walls instead of in-ceilings. I have a dedicated theater so the living room doesn't have to be audiophile for me.

You can always try it and upgrade later if you're disappointed. Running wires for LCR can always be run through walls later or under carpet etc.

Also, if the in ceilings have adjustable tweeters point them toward the listening position.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts