AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I looked in other threads, but want to make sure I do this right, so here are my setup questions and info.


The walls in the house I'm building are about to be sheetrocked, so I'm under a time crunch. Right now, there is a dual coax cable from the communications box on the side of the house to a central hub box in the house. From the central hub box, a coax runs to each room where we want TV.


I want to use Dish Network. Is just one coax enough for HDTV at any of those locations? Also, I want to run a wire from my hub box through the walls to where the satellite will be. Is just one coax enough for that? Two?


Thanks so much for you help. I'm really stressing here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
372 Posts
The answer depends on the Dish equipment you are going to use and that depends on what satellites will be received. You may need multiple wires out of the dish(s). Generally you can run a single wire to each box but you will need a seperator for any dual tuner receiver. I suggest you contact Dish to determine your equipment needs. Make sure the wiring is RG6. RG59 will not work.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Run as many coax cables into the hub as there is rooms that will have TV's. It's alot easier and cheaper now. You'll be ready for anything.

If you want to make sure you're ready for the future, make sure you run a CAT5 or CAT6 wire to all the same places. ATT Uverse uses this for their equiptment(they also use coax,but it's lower quality). You'll need 1 cable to the hub, 1 ethernet cable to your computer, and up to 4 cables to various TV locations. If you or any future owner wants to switch, you'll be ready. It's pretty cheap stuff on monoprice.com.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc Dr. /forum/post/15551810


Run as many coax cables into the hub as there is rooms that will have TV's. It's alot easier and cheaper now. You'll be ready for anything.

If you want to make sure you're ready for the future, make sure you run a CAT5 or CAT6 wire to all the same places. ATT Uverse uses this for their equiptment(they also use coax,but it's lower quality). You'll need 1 cable to the hub, 1 ethernet cable to your computer, and up to 4 cables to various TV locations. If you or any future owner wants to switch, you'll be ready. It's pretty cheap stuff on monoprice.com.

I totally agree with everything here. Plus you should find out from the cable or satellite companies they suggest Quad Shield RG6. The difference in price is minimal compared to just double or regular RG6. Last 500 ft roll I bought was $60 something for regular and $70 something for quad. DirecTV requires quad for their new HD service..


DirecTV if you ever want to switch requires 2 cables to each receiver unless something recently changed, you might want to call them quick, as you never know you might switch.


One more thing. Like above, Run CAT6 for Ethernet to every room that will have a TV or Computer. But also run CAT5 to every room that will have a phone line in case you ever use DSL or ADSL modem in a room. CAT5 just makes good phone line also.


Good luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,880 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggie /forum/post/15551901


...DirecTV if you ever want to switch requires 2 cables to each receiver unless something recently changed...

They now have a single wire multiswitch that only requires one coax to a two-tuner DVR. Of course you may want OTA, too. Either now or in the future. Never assume you will always stay with the same provider.


If I were prewiring, I would still wire at least 3 RG6 coax homeruns (plus whatever else you think you may need now or in the future), to each TV area.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,844 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arxaw /forum/post/15552269


They now have a single wire multiswitch that only requires one coax to a two-tuner DVR. Of course you may want OTA, too. Either now or in the future. Never assume you will always stay with the same provider.


If I were prewiring, I would still wire at least 3 RG6 coax homeruns (plus whatever else you think you may need now or in the future), to each TV area.

I agree 100%, you can never run too much wire while there is access to the walls...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the great suggestions! After looking into it, I think I may want to go with ATT UVERSE because I remember being told it's available for the house, and I need to get internet too. Does that mean that I need cat5e running from my hub to all places I want TV in the house? Do I need to run a cat5e from the communications panel on the outside of the house to by hub box? I noticed that it was mentioned that this system can use coax, but at a lower quality. Is the quality noticeable, or just better on paper?


Any ideas are very welcome. Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,030 Posts
Be careful here.... Uverse has received mixed reviews. I'd run rg6 to the tv rooms so you other options for tv service.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Runnung both is the best bet. The Cat5e wire will probably cost $50 for everything. Alot cheaper with the drywall off then trying to fish it in later. You never know what new tech. will be out 3 years from now that may require it.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top