AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm putting the finishing touches on my wiring and need to figure out how to set up sub connections. I have a media closet in the basement that has wiring going to the upstairs living room that already includes HDMI and speaker wiring. I would like to an an inuke to my setup and place it in the same closet. Do I just need to wire speakon from the closet to the living room or is there a different way I should go?

·
Premium Member
5,686 Posts
Do they make wall plate terminations for XLR connections?
Partsexpress.com has some wall plates for the xlr fittings but they are a steel plate. I guess you could paint them what about just having speaker wire wall plate fitting and the wire going to your speaker cabinets with a speakon fitting.

·
Registered
425 Posts
For an XLR plate try this:
http://www.amazon.com/CNE41466-Decora-Insert-Female-Solder/dp/B00IPZBW68/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1428781356&sr=8-1&keywords=C%26E+CNE41466+Decora+Wall+Plate+Insert%2C+Dual+XLR+Female+to+Solder+Type%2C+White

For basic line level XLR cabling you can use Belden 9451 or West Penn 292.
If you want better line level performance, you can use Canare Star Quad L-4E5AT.

Stick with 12 guage for most speaker level runs like that. I would not use an XLR for a speaker level connection. Stick to Speakon for speaker level.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Makes total sense the termination could be normal speaker wire wall plate. So from an iNuke to a DIY sub should I be using 12 gague speaker wire or RG6?

About the only place RG6 is used in our line of DIY is to run RCA (line level) signal. Stick with CL3 rated 12awg pure copper, not copper clad aluminum, stranded speaker wire. 10awg would be better but is a bit harder to find- Belden 5T00UP would be my personal choice. You only want to run this once.

You could use something as simple as a binding post plate, a Leviton quick port plate with two or more spaces and binding post inserts- or even just a brush grommet plate (this cuts out the two pairs of binding posts)

via Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
If you use 10awg, be prepared to lop off some strands at the connectors, my 12awg was tight....maybe I was an idiot, but I don't think so...this time!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts