AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, I want a sanity check on prices I'm being quoted.

I'm in Leesburg, VA

The base (zero cost option) for the whole house is only 2 Rg6 and 2 Cat5e (what?)
$125 or a cat5e or RG6Q "Tap". (i think that's a lot)
$260 (up to 10') for an HDMI prewire (HDMI cable from set top box location to tv location seems like a lot. The real kicker here is the price goes up to 460 for a cable over 10'. Wow

I'm strictly an OTA guy and don't need any WHA. So i'm thinking of of only 1xcat5e to tv viewing locations along with 1 rg6. I'm also putting 1 cat5e in the attic. I will entertain someone trying to convince me a i need more.

FYI, I will have FIOS and will try have them give me an ethernet connection as I have my own router.

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
If you have an attic above, or crawlspace below, you can usually retrofit cables fairly easily, without the need for patching drywall and painting.

On the other hand, patching is about a $20 add-on charge for the painter. So basically, for running new cables, it's about the cost of painting a room.

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
For a single HDMI run, from the equipment location to the TV, ask the price for a 1.5" or 2" flex conduit. You may want to change that HDMI cable in a few years, anyway.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Is the house under construction? You could add the wire or the flex conduit yourself if the drywall is not up yet.

·
Registered
111 Posts
You can go right over to the Home Depot at Leesburg Corner and buy Carlon ENT.

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
Get orange flex conduit, if you can. Blue is rated for line voltage, and the inspector could have an issue. Or, more likely, the builder might think it could be an issue. Both orange and blue are sold at all electric supply houses.

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
If you use conduit, install cables OUTSIDE the conduit - it's for future cables, not current.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts