AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently moved to a new (to us, it was built in 2006) home that happened to have a dedicated theater room (12 wide,15' deep, 8'/9' recessed ceiling) which had in-wall speakers (7.1 setup) as follows:

-Polk Audio-

Center: TC265i

Fronts: RC85i

Surrounds: RC65i

Surround Backs: RC85i

Yes, the 65i's as surrounds...there was a window in the way preventing matching 85i's

Anyway, at the old place, I was running Definitive Tech ProCenter 1000 & six ProMonitor 800s.

The receiver is a Pioneer VSX-1122.

I am not an audiophile by any means....but the in-wall Polks just don't sound right to me. I've driven the wife crazy switching the wiring between the in-walls, and the Def Tech's on (ear-level) stands for the past few weeks....

So, my question to you experts is: What's the better speaker setup given these two sets?

Looking at the specs, and the original MSRPs, I would have expected to like the 265/85/65i's more than I do.... Are my ears just bad? Could the in-walls have been installed acoustically poorly? Am I just not used to having speakers mounted at ceiling level (all but the center are flush with the 8' ceiling; center is right above the TV). Also of note, the 3 fronts back to the mechanical room, where I can see the back of the speakers, no insulating material behind them.

Unrelated to the above, any thoughts on the receiver/speaker pairing? Is the 1122 overkill for these speakers? underkill?

Any input welcome!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The sub I was using with both setups is a Polk PSW12 (same era as the speakers).

Ran Advanced MCACC with each set, using all speakers set to small and using 100 Hz crossover. The receiver seemed to get the distances right on....didn't look much past that.

Thanks for the articles - reading them now.

·
Registered
7,002 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelf  /t/1522144/new-homes-theater-room-speakers-advice-needed#post_24471348

The sub I was using with both setups is a Polk PSW12 (same era as the speakers).

Ran Advanced MCACC with each set, using all speakers set to small and using 100 Hz crossover. The receiver seemed to get the distances right on....didn't look much past that.

Thanks for the articles - reading them now.
Try 80Hz crossovers

1 - 4 of 4 Posts