AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am an an audiophile with no multi-room/multi-zone experience. Of course my friend thinks I know everything about audio/video :) and has asked me for help in wiring and planning a set up for his new house which is under construction. Given my two channel experience I come to to you, the experts, in this forum!

Here's what he wants to accomplish:

On the first floor, one Sonos zone that can play music in a dining room, kitchen and den with in wall/ceiling speakers. The music will be the same in all rooms but he wants to be able to individually control the volume in each room. Additionally, in that den, he wants a 5.1 surround system to accompany his flat screen TV, blu-ray and FIOS yet use those same speakers for the Sonos. And to complicate matters he wants his wife to be able to turn on the TV and just get sound from there.

The second floor would be a duplicate of the first floor except that this would be a second Sonos zone with the ability to simultaneously play different music from the first floor and, like the den, the bedroom would have 5.1 surround.

Finally, he wants a third Sonos zone for music outside on the deck.

And, of course, all this needs to be able to be controlled by his wife with a minimum of fuss or else there will be remotes flying around the room!!! :)

Did I confuse you? Thoughts?

Thanks for the help.

Craig

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Does he want to control the volume remotely or with a keypad on the wall? Xantech http://www.xantech.com/Home/ has audio amps and controllers that are remotely IR controlled.

To share speakers between the 5.1 amp and the Sonos you would need to switch the speakers with a mechanical switch or relay. Alternately you could run the Sonos input into one of the 5.1 receivers inputs, but that would require the receiver being on when you played the Sonos.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.