AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just bought a new house and the living room is built around a fireplace as the main feature. This obviously creates a layout issue for HT enthusiasts such as myself.

Putting the TV over the fireplace has it's obvious downsides, but I don't see another layout – I hate putting the TV in the corner because of the space it eats up, and the lack of room for the speakers.

Current equipment includes MartinLogan Electromotion ESLs, 47" tv, and the usual stack of gear - amps, receiver, ps3, HTPC, etc.

I've seen the MantelMount and DynamicMount, how are these? How will using the fireplace while it's down affect the TV? Fishing wires isn't a problem, I'll be able to remotely locate the AVR stack elsewhere in the room if needed.

I'm thinking that I'll move the mantel down, which will make the bottom of the TV more around 60" than 66-67" as it would be now, if we decide to place it over the fireplace. I'd also like the layout to work when we upgrade to a 65" or 70" tv later this year.

I've included a couple close-to-exact Sketchup screenshots. There are some measurements of furniture that are a little off, by 1/8" or 1/2" on some of the components, but not enough to matter.

Let me know what you guys think!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
We just bought a new house and the living room is built around a fireplace as the main feature. This obviously creates a layout issue for HT enthusiasts such as myself.

Putting the TV over the fireplace has it's obvious downsides, but I don't see another layout – I hate putting the TV in the corner because of the space it eats up, and the lack of room for the speakers.

Current equipment includes MartinLogan Electromotion ESLs, 47" tv, and the usual stack of gear - amps, receiver, ps3, HTPC, etc.

I've seen the MantelMount and DynamicMount, how are these? How will using the fireplace while it's down affect the TV? Fishing wires isn't a problem, I'll be able to remotely locate the AVR stack elsewhere in the room if needed.

I'm thinking that I'll move the mantel down, which will make the bottom of the TV more around 60" than 66-67" as it would be now, if we decide to place it over the fireplace. I'd also like the layout to work when we upgrade to a 65" or 70" tv later this year.

I've included a couple close-to-exact Sketchup screenshots. There are some measurements of furniture that are a little off, by 1/8" or 1/2" on some of the components, but not enough to matter.

Let me know what you guys think!
Why are the only choices over the mantle or in a corner ? You have over 10' of wall to the right of the doorway on the wall to the left of the fireplace. Why not rotate the sofa 90 degrees so it faces that wall ? Or put the TV in a rising cabinet in front of the window ? That way when you decide to go larger later this year you can go much larger -- by ditching TVs entirely and putting a 135" tab-tensioned screen that rolls down over that window and getting a W1070 projector to fill it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why are the only choices over the mantle or in a corner ? You have over 10' of wall to the right of the doorway on the wall to the left of the fireplace. Why not rotate the sofa 90 degrees so it faces that wall ? Or put the TV in a rising cabinet in front of the window ? That way when you decide to go larger later this year you can go much larger -- by ditching TVs entirely and putting a 135" tab-tensioned screen that rolls down over that window and getting a W1070 projector to fill it.
That wall is directly across from a large window that causes a lot of glare. I'm also not interested in a projector or the cost of a rising cabinet for this room. It's not going to be a dedicated theater, but a multi-purpose gathering room.

It's looking like a MantleMount or similar are my only options at this point, eh?

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
That wall is directly across from a large window that causes a lot of glare. I'm also not interested in a projector or the cost of a rising cabinet for this room. It's not going to be a dedicated theater, but a multi-purpose gathering room.

It's looking like a MantleMount or similar are my only options at this point, eh?
You don't plan on any window treatment to block the glare ? Not even shear curtains ? With no treatment, you will get glare off the screen even above the fireplace, won't you ?

BTW, I watch all my TV on my 122" screen in my living room with my W1070 projector. It isn't like you need the room to be dark or anything, just no direct sunlight falling on the screen. Room lights on are fine. People have this weird idea that projectors are only for theaters. They aren't. They are just TVs for people who like to watch it big.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You don't plan on any window treatment to block the glare ? Not even shear curtains ? With no treatment, you will get glare off the screen even above the fireplace, won't you ?

BTW, I watch all my TV on my 122" screen in my living room with my W1070 projector. It isn't like you need the room to be dark or anything, just no direct sunlight falling on the screen. Room lights on are fine. People have this weird idea that projectors are only for theaters. They aren't. They are just TVs for people who like to watch it big.

We've already installed both blinds and shear curtains, and sadly there is a ton of glare – we currently have the tv on a stand on that wall (L of the FP) and it's nearly unwatchable in the evenings. The sun hits the back of our house in the evening in a way that turns the entire shear curtain into 1 large soft light source. Great for photographing people, bad for the TV :(

Up on the mantle, the glare is nearly nonexistent, and I think with a slight tilt it's totally gone. :(

1 - 5 of 5 Posts