AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For you guys I am sure this is a basic question so forgive me if its been covered. All the knowledge here just confuses me.

Building a house and its a builder that doesnt offer too much flexibility so I would like to just be able to go and tell them what I want instead of fishing around sounding like an idiot. The house is 2 stories with all the wiring being run to a central location in the basement(3rd floor). They will be running RG6 and Cat 5 into every room.

I just want the ability to set up my components in a central room in the basement and run HD to the bedrooms (4) , the living room, and study.

I just need a nutshell of what id need to get this done.Nuthin fancy. Just dont want to have to get a cable box for each TV. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
For HD you want to run at least two CAT-5e or Cat-6 cables to each location. That will allow you to run HDMI over HDMI-CAT5/6 converters. There are some converters that only require one cable, but for best flexibility you should run at least two cables if you can.

You need one more CAT-5e if you want to run an internet connection.

·
Registered
91 Posts
For Video distribution - Do a quad cat5 to the displays - Gives you the options for Component/HDMI baluns (2 cat5e) (1) cat5e for control, (1) cat5e for ethernet

Liberty makes a quad cat5e - Don't know about monoprice.com - but I'm sure there are other manufacturers of this cable.

I suggest a single coax for basic cable as well to the displays - If your distribution system goes out, you still have the basic cable to the displays. We have a client that has a 10k sq home with a Crestron PVID system ONLY.. PVID went out, now has NO a/v in the home.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts