AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings everyone. My wife and I took possession of our first house today and when I walked into the basement room where I plan to set up a home theater.

To my surprise, the previous owners left their wall mount. If I can use it, it will be quite convenient and a nice way to save $100+ but I'm debating whether or not it's a good idea.

I have a 40" Samsung LCD (LN40A550) and the mount (by Peerless, don't have the model number handy but can produce it tomorrow after visiting the house if that will help) says it's designed for TV's up to 37". This tells me it might be a bad idea to use it. However, it also says its max load is 150 lbs and my TV only weighs 60lbs or so. It's bolted into brick above the fireplace, not drywall, and feels very solid. I guess I'm just wondering what people think. Am I taking much of a risk by mounting a bigger TV than the unit is intended for? If this is the case I'll just buy a more appropriate mount.

Thanks in advance.

-AL

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
as long as it will work with your TV's mounting pattern i'd say your good to go with it

if you want to feel safer you can get basic tiling only mounts from mono price for under 30 dollars, we use one of them with our 50" plasma and have had zero problems, the plasma is prolly about 120lbs ish and the mount is rated for 165lbs.

its worth noting though that anchoring into brick/concrete is tricky and if not done correctly can lead to TV's falling off a wall, if they presumably had a TV mounted to it before (why else would it be there
) and you just have a 40" LCD that does not weigh much at all anyways as long as it feels solid as you said I'd be confident mounting it up there with it

1 - 3 of 3 Posts