AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am buying a new townhouse (not yet built).

I currently own the X1 but I have only used it for Xbox games so far.

The townhouse has a large family room on the mid level, and a nice size game room (rec room) in the basement.

I am thinking what I will do is buy a big 60 inch Sony Wega for the mid level family room, and have them put in the speaker wire for surround sound pre-drywall. Then for the game room in the basement, i will use my projector table top, and project against a wall, or my screen i have now.

I like my X1, but i just think for everday Directivo viewing, i would prefer a regular tv.

I am not even sure my question, but does this sound logical. I guess I am not sure whether I want to make the X1 my centerpiece for movie, tv viewing. When the pals come over to watch some tv, i dont want rainbow effects (dont bother me, but may others) to be a drag on an otherwise nice home theater.

Dont get me wrong, I love my X1 (best $749 I have spent). But I wonder if I would be better off getting a regular projection tv for the family room, and saving the X1 for video gaming in the basement? If I had spent $3000 on the X1 I guess I would not hesitate to put it in the family room, but I guess I am thinking it is now a sunk cost, and I am starting from scratch with the home theater in the family room.

thoughts are appreciated...

·
Registered
271 Posts
For the price of a 60-inch Wega, you can get a nice LCD projector with no rainbows.

·
Registered
204 Posts
SD TV looks worse the bigger the picture size, so if that is the issue than a 60" anything will look poor. A plasma/CRT/RP will only give significant benifit for poorly light contolled rooms. You don't have to live in a cave to watch a CRT or plasma (or some pj's brighter than the X1.)

As for the rainbow concern, most have said guests are never bothered (93 of 97 repondents never had guests complain rainbows, even if they themselves noticed them.) http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=306132 This may not be scientific, but clearly lots of people have people over to see their X1 on a regular basis without only positive feedback.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.