AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think this is the best way to know if they price the builder is giving me for wiring this is a good price, and it is not really high.

if you see the pdf thats what i asked the builder to have media room and outside prewired the builder is charging me $2322 usd to wire what is on the pdf..

is it reasonable? does it make sense? or he is reaping me off?

this is just the WIRING, i will have to install the speakers my self...

thanks

house wiring media room and other things 2.pdf 278k .pdf file

Attachments

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
No, that's insane. Even if the builder use Kimber Kable Kwik 12 in wall cables, which I really doubt, that price is insane. Even as a retrofit it's insane.

The wires, if you use contractor grade 16 AWG speaker wires should cost you no more than $1,000 (that's already keePing in mind tht they are having a hefty profit on the wire) and labour, considering it is NOT a retrofit, should take no more than 3 hours (@$65/hr it costs them less than $200) , you're over paying them by $1k.

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
Not really difficult. Usually it will take about 8 hours work plus the cable. If my company is doing it, something like your project including Kimber Kable Kwik 12 will cost you $1600 max. If you choose to use contractor grade 16 AWG wire, the cost including labour will drop to $1100 max.

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
Not really difficult. Usually it will take about 8 hours work plus the cable. If my company is doing it, something like your project including Kimber Kable Kwik 12 will cost you $1600 max. If you choose to use contractor grade 16 AWG wire, the cost including labour will drop to $1100 max.

·
Registered
10,294 Posts

·
Registered
10,294 Posts

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
Try finding/getting a quote from a reputable installer in your area and do the comparison yourself. I personally have seen too many cheap quality materials used by builders that I don't trust them anymore. On the other side, you're paying for the convenience so when you get the house, everything is "plug and play".

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by buton  /t/1468030/new-house-media-room-wiring-from-builder-is-the-price-reasonable#post_23199401

so you recommend me to wait and just hire someone to do it after the builder finish the house?

Have the builder tell you when all of the electric is in, and before the drywall goes up. I've gone in and done this sort of thing on many job sites.

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by buton  /t/1468030/new-house-media-room-wiring-from-builder-is-the-price-reasonable#post_23205006

this sucks... the builder will not let me in and wire my self or bring other guy to do the job......

i hate that i dont have a choice...

...best negotiated before he gets a check or signature...

20-20 hindsight sucks.

Hope he shows more integrity in the other parts of the project.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk  /t/1468030/new-house-media-room-wiring-from-builder-is-the-price-reasonable#post_23200312

Have the builder tell you when all of the electric is in, and before the drywall goes up. I've gone in and done this sort of thing on many job sites.

on the contract it says i am not allow to do that LOL...

·
Registered
22,642 Posts
If they won't let you run wire before the drywall goes up due to code or union rules (or just being greedy), run PVC conduit to each location. Have "pull strings" in the conduit. After the work is completed, all you need to do is pull your own wires.

Reactions: buton

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman  /t/1468030/new-house-media-room-wiring-from-builder-is-the-price-reasonable#post_23205403

If they won't let you run wire before the drywall goes up due to code or union rules (or just being greedy), run PVC conduit to each location. Have "pull strings" in the conduit. After the work is completed, all you need to do is pull your own wires.

thats a great idea and might be cheaper...

·
Registered
22,642 Posts
Perhaps a good idea.

In the long run, it's a practical idea.

.... but will definetely be "cheaper".

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
It's a good idea to ask but without saying where you live it is impossible to say whether it is reasonable or not. Labor rates vary wildly across the country due to cost of living variations. Where I live in Northern California Bay Area labor rates are generally at or over >$100 hour. $50-60 would be cost for a company just to pay their employees!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.