AVS Forum banner

New House Media room wiring from builder, is the price reasonable?

2K views 31 replies 8 participants last post by  buton 
No, that's insane. Even if the builder use Kimber Kable Kwik 12 in wall cables, which I really doubt, that price is insane. Even as a retrofit it's insane.

The wires, if you use contractor grade 16 AWG speaker wires should cost you no more than $1,000 (that's already keePing in mind tht they are having a hefty profit on the wire) and labour, considering it is NOT a retrofit, should take no more than 3 hours (@$65/hr it costs them less than $200) , you're over paying them by $1k.

Not really difficult. Usually it will take about 8 hours work plus the cable. If my company is doing it, something like your project including Kimber Kable Kwik 12 will cost you $1600 max. If you choose to use contractor grade 16 AWG wire, the cost including labour will drop to $1100 max.

Not really difficult. Usually it will take about 8 hours work plus the cable. If my company is doing it, something like your project including Kimber Kable Kwik 12 will cost you $1600 max. If you choose to use contractor grade 16 AWG wire, the cost including labour will drop to $1100 max.

Try finding/getting a quote from a reputable installer in your area and do the comparison yourself. I personally have seen too many cheap quality materials used by builders that I don't trust them anymore. On the other side, you're paying for the convenience so when you get the house, everything is "plug and play".

For a builder, the workload is no more than 3 hours (and that's already really taking the time doing it). Even at $200/hr labour, the grand total while using contractor-grade 16 AWG wiring shold not cost him more than $1,000.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.