AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The catch? I'm only 18.

My parents are building a new house. They've decided that I'll live primarily in the basement throughout college. As I currently have a very small, very bad tube TV (see below) I was planning on upgrading to a flat panel. But then I realized that I've got the space for something more. What better way to do it than with a 720p projector and 5.1 surround?

There's only one catch. For now, I make $11.82 an hour part time. While I don't have very many expenses (in fact, my dept to my parents is the only one) I don't have 5k+ to do this "right". That's the kind of person I normally am, but since this is a relatively low priority, I'd like to keep things under $1.5k. I work at Best Buy and we get some pretty cool accommodations, which are reflected in my component choices. They include the following:

Mitsubishi HC1500 with ceiling mount and 3 year service plan (for bulb replacements) - $940

Klipsch Quintet III 5 piece surround sound system - $200

Klipsch SUB-10 sub woofer - $160

Pioneer VSX-918V-K - $220

I will have the proper window treatments as well. Sound will be provided through an S/PDIF optical cable from the PC to the receiver.

My HTPC will consist of:

Intel Pentium Dual Core E2160 @ 3.2GHz

Gigabyte GA-EP31-DS3L

2x 2GB Corsair XMS2 DDR800

Antec NSK4480 with 380w EarthWatts power supply

250GB Samsung SpinPoint SATA

Samsung DVD-RW

Lite-On BD-ROM

EVGA 8500GT

Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit

So do you have any suggestions (components, execution, etc.)? I'm really not set on the receiver but it seems that it'll suit my needs well.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Sounds like you have it all worked out, except you forgot one or two minor details... first, the screen. Any plan for that? If not, I recommend the DIY method of painting a screen directly on the drywall. The paint will run you ~30 and the border another 30 or so. Browse the DIY Screen forum.

I too was on a budget with my electronics (since most of my dollars went to the actual finishing of the cave.) I went with the HC1500 ($800), yammy receiver ($80 used), inwall speakers ($100), dual 10" subs ($200), and HD DVD ($100). Total = $1280. This addiction can be done "right" for relatively little $$$ if you do some research.

Don't forget to budget cables/wires also. (Monoprice.com is widely recommended.) Good luck, I bet you're excited.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the recommendations. I was actually reading the DIY thread and will be getting the paint for it soon.

I'm also going to get the Yamaha RX-V663BL instead of the Pioneer. I've read some good things about it and it's only $40 more.

I'm definitely getting my cables from Monoprice.

And I'm so excited. I have trouble sleeping at night haha.

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
My only recommendations for someone your age is to not spend any time at home watching TV/movies.

If you're not studying, get out and meet women.

·
Registered
490 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew4msu /forum/post/14180377

If you're not studying, get out and meet women.

And then bring them home to... "show them your theater."

·
Registered
490 Posts
Well played, young grasshoppa.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Haha. Well, thanks for the help anyway. If anyone has other suggestions, I'm all ears.

For now I'm just going to sit back, relax, and read as much as possible.

·
Registered
63 Posts
That is always best. There are many great suggestions here and you will be able to put together a great theater experience well within a budget if you do your research and shop smart. Projection screens are the way to go now a days.

·
Registered
75 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidPHumes /forum/post/14180692

I've got a girlfriend

Smooth dude.. very smooth..

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
But he's 18.

We all know that 2 years from now she won't be his girlfriend anymore. You've got the rest of your life to watch TV/movies.

These are the prime years for getting tail. I'd spend every dime I had on doing that.

Anyway, I think your speaker selection is great. I'm not familiar with that PJ or receiver. your best bet is to head to those forums and research each one (i.e spend a lot of time reading) there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts