AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi -

I recently moved into a new house and am looking for some ideas for the TV room.

I am debating on three options for the center speaker.

1. Mount TV on the wall above the media stand with enough room to leave the center on top of the stand.
2. Replace stand with something like a Standout Designs or Salamander that has a spot for the center to be stored
3. Mount center above the TV.

I had #3 at my previous residence (it was a rental and temporary) and am leaning against that option.

There's plenty of open space about the TV also (64"). Not sure what to do with that space, if anything. I've never been a fan of built-ins as they're limiting when things change (remember those square TV spaces in older houses? :) )

Picture below:

The recessed area is 81" wide x 94" high x 29" deep for reference.

Thanks in advance for your ideas and suggestions. :)

·
Registered
373 Posts
my 2c

Mount it above the TV,
it'll help fill in the space and make it look nicer with the least amount of effort

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
Another option would be to do a floor to ceiling feature wall, covering the opening, extending to the left, to center it.
Then mount the hdtv on it, using a slim wall mount (assuming this isn't a rental).

You could have niches up top, for the electronics and for display and put the center channel on a suitable stand out in in front,
just below the hdtv.

You also might check out Google Images and use it as a source to look for inspiration.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Another option would be to do a floor to ceiling feature wall, covering the opening, extending to the left, to center it.
Then mount the hdtv on it, using a slim wall mount (assuming this isn't a rental).

You could have niches up top, for the electronics and for display and put the center channel on a suitable stand out in in front,
just below the hdtv.

You also might check out Google Images and use it as a source to look for inspiration.
Thought about that, however there's a chimney to the left for a fireplace in the room below. I'll check out some images for ideas. Good suggestion.

I would do a custom built in unit so it doesn't look so bare. just build it right around the tv!
Thanks for the idea. Maybe long term that would be on the table. Eventually I'd like a projector and screen to drop out of the ceiling, but need to recover from the renovation costs over the last 2 months!

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
You could build forward of the front wall, and do an equipment niche at the right hand end of the existing niche, putting it's depth to work. A non symmetrical modern design might also feature a shelf or some media storage that could extend to the end wall. The hdtv could be kept centered in the room, while the feature wall could extend over to the corner.

You also could build a valance up top, for a future pull down screen.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts