AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so we just moved into a new house and it possesses some challenges - both in terms of layout and obstacles and some unidentified built in speakers. Our new living room has a marble fireplace right where my center channel should be sitting. To the right and left of the fireplace are built in shelves (see picture of previous owners layout) . In addition there are already 2 in-wall (Front right and left) and 2 in-ceiling (Surround right and left) speakers in place (no idea what kind). It is a two story house and this room is on the bottom floor, so getting access to the back of these existing speakers is not super easy. I migth be bale to access them from the fronts, but not sure how easy that is. Luckily, although not ideal, the wiring (lamp cord) is still hooked up and works. As an added complication, our first child is 6 months and is now getting mobile. I am thinking that having heavy floorstanding speakers might not be such a good idea. My current speakers are not the most stable and are quite heavy.

My Current gear: I currently have a set of Onix Rockets with the large 200 center channel and 4 RS750 for surrounds - pretty large speakers. Powered by RX-A3000. Sub is a SVS PB12 NSD. I had this in a standard standard 5.1 setup.

Here are some of my thoughts and leanings on what to do. I am pretty open to any suggestions. I want to at least have some type of surround setup. I was actually hoping to move to 7.1 of some sorts, since I inherited 4 extra speakers. Clarity of dialogue from the center channel is highest listening priority. Mostly TV and movies.

Center: I don't see how my bigfoot RS200 speaker fits in this setup without looking terrible. There is a small mantle below the mounted display that I can use for a center channel, but there isn't a ton of room. I am thinking I will go with something like this Atlantic Technology FS-3200C ($400-$600) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001P05N8S/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&colid=23O7UFBE6NCXA&coliid=I3UJHJLRLHE588&me=&seller= . I will likely then sell my Rocket 200 or use it in the Master bedroom. I am open to other suggestions in a similar footprint? This seems about the right size and had a decent review (although a bit dated). The owner left a Bose center that is sitting there now, but I don't really care for it.

Front: Lots of options here. 1) Use the built ins as my main front R & L channels . 2) USe my 750s as the R&Ls. 3) Get something new for these channels. 4) Something else. I am debating on whether to use 2 of my 750's as my front right and left OR go with the bookshelves that are there as R&L OR get something that matches whatever center I end up with (maybe the matching FS-3200LR or some planars). My first thought is to use what I have and set the 750s as the front right and left mains and to use the unidentified book shelves as surrounds (although in front of the listening position), maybe they could even be front presence channels. With little one crawling around switching to something (bookshelves or planars) that wont topple on her wouldn't be a bad thing.

Rears: Because of the open room there really isnt a great spot for any rear speakers. My plan is to just use the two in-ceiling as the rears, even though they are only slightly behind and to the sides the listening position. Does this work? Would I just be better off using these as the surround R&L?

I'd appreciate your thoughts on how to make the most of this setup to still get some enjoyable home theatre in our new house.

CJR

·
Registered
11,507 Posts
I think those big Onix Rockets will look out of place in that room. If you can pull it off, great, otherwise, I would look to match the center and left and right channels. Atlantic Technology makes some great products, so getting bookshelf speakers to match the center might make sense.

I would also consider putting a rug down to help with the acoustics in the room and I would use the existing in-ceiling speakers as L+R surrounds. 7.1 may just not be ideal for the room.

What is the max height of the center channel speaker that you can fit between the TV and mantle?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The mantle is 8" deep and there is 5.5" between it and the bottom of the TV. The TV is extremely thin though, so if the speaker doesn't use the full depth part of it can tuck behind the TV and still fit there.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts