AVS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been out of the speaker game for a while. I started with a kenwood htb505 htib and moved on to upgrade to an hk 435, polk rti6 mains, polk csi3 center and Svs PB10 sub. I then took up the challenge of designing and building my own speakers.

Now for my greatest challenge...keeping the WAF high enough for me to enjoy good quality audio on par with what i am use to and make sure she doesnt object.

So far ive been investigating in wall, sound bars(to simulate front and center), smaller wall mountable speakers and so on.

Surround speakers shouldnt be a problem and im looking at the SVS sb12 for bass duty. Its really only the fronts that are an issue.

To give an idea of the roomits about 18x14 and the tv will be above the fireplace(gas). There is a small ledge above the fireplace about 5 inches deep. The center will either rest here....or wall mount above or below the tv. There is not much distance to space out the mains because of windows on each side but any wall mountable speaker would work.

Id like to field any and all options that you think would meet our needs. ive been looking at mirage, aperion in wall, all sorts of sound bars encompassing c+r+l duties and so on. Id like to keep the price of the 5 or 7 speakers to under 2.5k. Thank you!

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That nht looks interesting....dont know if it would look good on its side as a center channel.

The ascends are also interesting i assume all these models are well regarded?

·
Registered
19,541 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdiver2489  /t/1416538/new-house-new-speakers-needed#post_22149285

That nht looks interesting....dont know if it would look good on its side as a center channel.

The ascends are also interesting i assume all these models are well regarded?

Yes, the models are good

NHT also has an Absolute Center, if you can make it work

There is also, the EMP EW-30
http://www.emptek.com/ew30.php

·
Registered
4,512 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdiver2489  /t/1416538/new-house-new-speakers-needed#post_22149336

Oh and jay ill be about 10 ft back approx and there should be space behind the couch but that is tbd

7.1 isn't really an option without some distance between where you're sitting and the rear surrounds, and 5.1 sure works better when the surrounds aren't firing right across the rear wall.

Yes these speakers are well regarded. How good any of these speakers perform compared to your current setup will come down to how good your placement is.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Definitely agree with that Jay. After reviewing pictures of our soon-to-be built home it looks like the couch will most likely be against the back wall. Obviously not ideal for 5.1 but oh well its better than the cheap TV speakers.

The goal is to eventually build my man cave in the basement where I am allowed to "do whatever I want"

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Whats the consensus on the above options vs a atlantic tech fs3200? Or their 3 in one options the fs4000 or 5000?

·
Registered
4,512 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdiver2489  /t/1416538/new-house-new-speakers-needed#post_22149634

Whats the consensus on the above options vs a atlantic tech fs3200? Or their 3 in one options the fs4000 or 5000?

Similar in quality to the Ascend's, but a lot more expensive. I would only consider the all in one speakers if you dont have any better placement options.

·
Registered
19,541 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdiver2489  /t/1416538/new-house-new-speakers-needed#post_22149634

The Atlantic Tech is one of the better qualities out there, they make good stuff.

You can get a pair for $500 here - scroll down the page.
https://dmc-electronics.com/Others.html

·
Registered
1,091 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdiver2489  /t/1416538/new-house-new-speakers-needed/0_100#post_22149634

Whats the consensus on the above options vs a atlantic tech fs3200?

I don't know whether we could or should reach a consensus--since they're all quality speakers and have different form factors, you should choose whichever seems like the best fit for you and your room. Personally, I think that the Ascend HTM-200 SE offers a bit more capability/cost in a form factor that looks more compact to my eyes (it'll project outward from the wall more than the others, but it's not bad in this regard, and it's shorter in its longest dimension). And as a horizontally-oriented center, it also has excellent dispersion characteristics for an MTM design.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdiver2489  /t/1416538/new-house-new-speakers-needed/0_100#post_22149634

Or their 3 in one options the fs4000 or 5000?

I'm not a big fan of soundbars, but if you really like the form factor, then these seem to be decent ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdiver2489  /t/1416538/new-house-new-speakers-needed/0_100#post_22153342

http://www.pinnaclebuilt.com/images/placedImages/Turnberry%20FP-Web.jpg

Here is the home being built. With a couch facing the fireplace and the TV above it where would you guys recommend mounting the surround speakers? Should I do the sides even though its kinda in the corner

The surrounds should be mounted to the sides of the viewing positions. If possible, you should mount them as far from the back wall as you can, but not forward of the viewers. It should help to move the seats a little forward if you could, and angle the surround speakers away from the back wall and toward the center seat.
Quote:

or should I do some dipoles and place them on the back wall?

Dipoles are truly intended for side placement, exactly even with the viewers on the front-back axis. They produce a diffuse, spacious sound as intended, and some people like this effect a lot, but for me the tradeoff is that they're severely lacking in fidelity, sounding thin and hollow regardless of the quality of their drivers and build. They sound so bad, in my opinion, that I have not recommended them to anybody since the time when Pro Logic (the older system, not PLII) reigned supreme.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts