AVS Forum banner
821 - 840 of 905 Posts

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
That L8i once installed looks great Chuck. (y) I say it needs no speaker cover. Can't wait to come over to hear this system. I did get my first "Freedom Shot" this last Wednesday.

·
Premium Member
12,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #822 ·
That L8i once installed looks great Chuck. (y) I say it needs no speaker cover. Can't wait to come over to hear this system. I did get my first "Freedom Shot" this last Wednesday.
Thanks. They are pretty cool looking but I decided to cover all of my speakers and treatment a long time ago, and these will be covered as well.

·
Premium Member
12,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #823 ·
This should not come as a surprise, but I just heard from UPS that the LCRs that were originally to be delivered on Thursday, then today, are now delayed until next Wednesday, "allegedly" due to weather. So they left Carson City, NV on March 25th, and will arrive here on April 7th. And Wisdom paid extra to insure they would be here in 5 days!!

I have no doubt at least some of this is due to a huge increase in demand, and I will give a bit to the weather, but why did UPS not know until just now that a shipment that was to be delivered in the next 8 hours, won't be here for another 5 days? I now remember why I quit using UPS a LONG time ago to ship anything that that needed to be delivered at anything close to a reasonable time frame.

So, so frustrating.

Reactions: tigerhonaker

·
Premium Member
13,863 Posts
Shipping SUCKS! I recently had a USPS package arrive at my local PO, and then get sent back to the regional distribution center, then sent to another zip code that was similar to mine with 2 numbers transposed, then back to the regional center, then back to my local PO, and then finally to me. It added over 10 days to the delivery time, for which I had paid for 2-Day delivery!

PO doesn't stand for Post Office... it stands for PI$$ED OFF! :mad:

·
Premium Member
12,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #825 ·
I left a set of keys at the car dealer in Augusta, GA 80 miles away. He shipped them to me (USPS), they went through Atlanta, sat in Atlanta for >10 days, then I eventually got them!! And think about if/when we have to use Government Healthcare!!

Reactions: Craig Peer

·
Premium Member
12,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #827 ·
Today, I will PEQ the subs and the surrounds/wides (from ~60Hz to ~300Hz). That much less to do when the LCRs show up. Then I wait :confused: !!

·
Registered
20,770 Posts
This should not come as a surprise, but I just heard from UPS that the LCRs that were originally to be delivered on Thursday, then today, are now delayed until next Wednesday, "allegedly" due to weather. So they left Carson City, NV on March 25th, and will arrive here on April 7th. And Wisdom paid extra to insure they would be here in 5 days!!

I have no doubt at least some of this is due to a huge increase in demand, and I will give a bit to the weather, but why did UPS not know until just now that a shipment that was to be delivered in the next 8 hours, won't be here for another 5 days? I now remember why I quit using UPS a LONG time ago to ship anything that that needed to be delivered at anything close to a reasonable time frame.

So, so frustrating.
The last 5 items I had delivered via FedEx were one or two days later than their tracking said. In fact I have a package coming today that was supposed to arrive yesterday. It’s not just UPS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
@audioguy: Sorry if this has already been mentioned, but what chairs are those? They look very soft and comfy! (I'm searching for chairs for my own build).

Your theater looks great by the way!

·
Premium Member
12,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #830 ·
@audioguy: Sorry if this has already been mentioned, but what chairs are those? They look very soft and comfy! (I'm searching for chairs for my own build).

Your theater looks great by the way!
They were made by BerkLine and they are incredibly comfortable. They are a very soft fabric. Leather is nice but, is very reflective. These act as bass absorbers. They are probably 9+ years old and don't know if they make anything like this any longer.

And thanks for the kind words!

·
Premium Member
12,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #831 · (Edited)
All installed but have yet to try to get them to make noise.

Update: They do make noise - and will calibrate tomorrow!

·
Premium Member
12,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #833 ·
^^ Way too funny.

I have already done the "pre-calibration" work on the subs, wides and surrounds. (basically PEQs) but the bi-amped LCRs are a different animal.

Wisdom provides the high and low pass filter settings (LR 4th order) and the crossover frequencies. They also provide an "offset" which in this case you lower the trims on the PMDs by 4dB. And then you PEQ that speaker. Wisdom provides a set of PEQ settings but they are based upon a "pseudo anechoic" environment - and hence I never use them. I have OmniMic calculate the PEQs based upon my desired target curve (usually only south of about 400Hz). The Trinnov then allows you to "calibrate speaker" where it determines the EXACT delays of the closest column of drivers in that specific speaker and calculates the exact level differences. But I am getting weird results. In the past (not my room/speakers), if I use a -4dB offset, the Trinnov might change it by a portion of a dB or so. But in my case, it changed it by a bunch and the resultant measurements were WAY off. Further investigation will be required. But I'm getting closer.

I did do a really quick setup yesterday and listened to some music segments. Two things are evident: the sound is very "clean" and if you crank the volume well above what any person would ever listen, they simply only get louder, NEVER any harshness. That has never occurred before on ANY speakers I have ever owned: Wilson, Thiel, Dunlavy, Seaton, Triad Plats, Magnepan, B&W, Apogee. Usually the tweeter gets angry and make really ugly noises.

Reactions: BrolicBeast

·
Premium Member
12,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #834 ·
We have "lift off". Finished "a" calibration, listened to some music and watched a movie (Greenland - which I had never seen), and a few video clips and scenes. The good news: I remember why I bought these. There is a sense of magic and scale and size and clarity and dynamics that are very addictive.

There has been some discussion on how important speaker dispersion pattern is in the ability to provide the most fulfilling immersive experience in a home theater. So I tried a test that I heard about from Wisdom. I played stereo music (vocalist) and begin walking toward the screen. Amazingly, there is a well defined center image until my nose actually touched the screen. And inch away from the screen, it was there. Other than another line source speaker, I'm not sure how many speakers can do that!!

The less than good news, and on another matter, these speakers and my current target curves like each other but don't love each other, so this week will be spent trying to fine tune.

As a very long time two channel "purist" (but no longer), I remember why every theater I have had for the last 30 years had the L&R speakers out in the room (vs behind a screen). That elusive depth of the audio field (important when listening to 2 channel music) only works at its best when the L&R speakers are out from the front wall. But even now experiencing that reduction of the depth, I would still do this all over again. Because while I gave up some depth, I got so much more by making AuroMatic part of the listening process with an all line source set of speakers: a sense of scale and immersive-ness that no 2 channel system will ever be able to match. And that is true with a vocal soloist or a huge choir. I listened to the cut Psalm 8 "The Majesty and Glory of Your Name" from the Turtle Creek Choral CD called "Psalms". It was recorded at Meyerson Symphony Center in Dallas, TX. In 2 channel, it is REALLY excellent. What I heard yesterday was well past that. Again, the sense of scale, immersivenness and vocal clarity, being able to easily delineate individual voices spread across my entire room and far into the room. Simply magic and very transformational when listening to music. And it adds significant emotion to the listening experience.

I listened to the clip from "Unbroken" that Andrew DeChristofaro (@Drewde88) commented on as he had been the sound guy that did the audio for that movie. While I have watched that scene more times than I can count, it certainly took on new character when I watched this time. I don't know if you can overdrive these speakers but I played that scene REALLY loud and more so than ever before. Wowzer. Just amazing. Everything was better defined, cleaner, more impactful, better dynamics.

Also played the hotel scene from Atomic Blonde, and played it very loud. Unreal. Worn out after watching that scene. Again, it only gets louder, not harsh (unless the recording is harsh)

I've still got some serious fine tuning to do but I made a great decision.

·
Registered
5,954 Posts
Chuck, I’m really happy that you’re all set up after such a long wait! I’m actually listening to a Podcast by HiFi Fanatics right now and they have a Wisdom Audio guy on and he just described the ability to walk toward the screen and experience barely any volume increase (a concept that is nuts to me) but I’d say this is the same vein as your comment of the soundstage not falling apart even up against the screen. He also mentioned that the Wisdom sage line does not radiate above or below, so reflections on the ceiling and floor are not a concern. Could be marketing—what are your thoughts on this?

How does the center channel work in terms of imaging? Do the cone (?) drivers on one side and the planar drivers on the other come together in the middle to create a dead center image? Or is the center channel offset by a few inches?

Once all is said and done, pleaaaase post your final measurements here and in the Wisdom thread (both of which I follow).

BTW—I really enjoyed Greenland. One scene really stands out as a a great Atmosssss demo but I enjoyed the audio presentation quite a bit. Video was pretty good, but could have been a little sharper, methinks!!! What were your thoughts on Greenland?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
12,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #836 ·
I have Greenland on BluRay and it is in DTS, not Atmos, but I did enjoy the movie. It is in 4K (and I assume Atmos) as a streaming option but I refuse to watch anything streamed with the over compressed audio when it is available in uncompressed on disc. I haven't spent what I have on the audio side of my theater to accept less than the best when there is an option.

As for the speakers not radiating above and below the top and bottom of the speakers, that is part of the science of line source vs point source. So accurate, not marketing nonsense.

The acoustic center of these speakers is in the middle of the speaker, between the two columns. During setup, the Trinnov computes the necessary delays between the columns to insure they arrive at the MLP at the EXACT same time. So the center channel image is where it should be.

Here are the plots (1/12 Oct Smoothing) of the LCRs (post PEQs and Optimizer). Not sure about the slight rise north of 10K nor does this look exactly like the target curve. Still lots of work to do!!

·
Premium Member
12,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #837 ·
I finished up "a final ;)" calibration today and my wife and I watched a full length movie this evening: "The Outpost" with a DTS-HD MA 5.1 audio track. Nothing I have ever heard in our theater has ever approached the level of immersive-ness, dialog clarity, mid bass impact, sonic detail, slam and dynamics we experienced. Even my wife noted (who never says ANYTHING about the theater) that it was the most immersive experience she has heard/seen. Given it was a (true) action war movie, for her it was almost overwhelming. For me, it totally justified the expense, wait, work, and effort we put in to get this "Oconee Theater Version 3.0" up and running. The audio passed my expectations - which were very high. Consider me a very happy new Wisdom Audio home theater client.

·
Premium Member
3,173 Posts
I finished up "a final ;)" calibration today and my wife and I watched a full length movie this evening: "The Outpost" with a DTS-HD MA 5.1 audio track. Nothing I have ever heard in our theater has ever approached the level of immersive-ness, dialog clarity, mid bass impact, sonic detail, slam and dynamics we experienced. Even my wife noted (who never says ANYTHING about the theater) that it was the most immersive experience she has heard/seen. Given it was a (true) action war movie, for her it was almost overwhelming. For me, it totally justified the expense, wait, work, and effort we put in to get this "Oconee Theater Version 3.0" up and running. The audio passed my expectations - which were very high. Consider me a very happy new Wisdom Audio home theater client.
Chuck (audioguy),

Well my AVS internet posting buddy. :)

I offer my congratulations and also to say that as long as you are happy and it surely does seem you are per your Post above. 🎬
That's really all that matters IMHO for what that's worth on an internet site.

I feel the same way in regards to my 2020 install of the Triad Atmos system.

Congrats again,
Terry

·
Premium Member
12,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #839 · (Edited)
Current Equipment List:

VIDEO EQUIPMENT
: JVC RS4100 Laser Projector (On Order); Panamorph Paladin Lens; Lumagen RadiancePro; Seymour Acoustically Transparent 2:35 120 x 51 inch screen (~1.0 Gain - XD Material);

SPEAKERS: Room is setup in a 9.2.4 configuration. LCRs: Wisdom Audio Sage Line 2; Surrounds and Wides: (6) Wisdom Audio L8i; SUBS: 8 Seaton F18 subs (2 Masters and 6 Slaves driven by 4000 watt amp in each Master -- 2 in each of the front two corners) and (4) Seaton F18's located along the rear wall; ; 3D Audio ceiling speakers: (4) Wisdom Audio Sage ICS7a

ELECTRONICS: Trinnov Altitude 32-24 Surround Processor; Pure Power APS 2000 Power Conditioner; (3) ATI - AT54XNC Amplifiers - 1 Six Channel, 1 Seven Channel and 1 Eight Channel

SOURCES: Synology NAS DS1817+ (32TB/~22TB Usable); Nvidia Shield for viewing ripped movies via Plex; YouTube TV app, Netflix, Amazon; Kaleidescape Strato-C Movie Player & 12TB Terra Movie Server; Apple TV 4K = access to Apple TV+, Hulu, Disney+; Oppo 203 4K Blu Ray Player; SGC (Small Green Computer) sonicTransporter i5 CDR for running Roon Core for music playback (ripped files and Qobuz) and collection management.

ACOUSTIC TREATMENT: Room design and all acoustic treatment by GIK. GIK q7D diffusors (2 per side) - Covered by cosmetic DIY panels from ; Front wall: all absorption; rear side walls: GIK Monster Bass Traps with Scatter Plates (3 per side); Rear wall: (3) GIK q7D's with (2) GIK Monster Bass Traps with Scatter Plates; Left rear corner: GIK Soffit Traps; Front corners: Custom corner traps; Soffit: DIY soffits traps; Ceiling Cloud: GIK 244 Bass Traps

MISCELLANEOUS: Araknis Ethernet Switch; Control 4 System Controller

Construction/installation is complete --

Now onto enjoying --- and tweaking, and diddling, and re-calibrating, and enjoying ........

821 - 840 of 905 Posts