AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Attached are PDF's of basement, 1st and 2nd floors. I am having a hard time deciding where to place the equipment. Here are the options I came up with listed in no preferential order. Screen is going on the back wall at the back of the house.

1. In the master bedroom closet. Will create the shortest HDMI run to projector. Will need to locate the PS3 in the theater room below which can be easily integrated but that will create a second HDMI run. My harmony 890 should have not problem with RF since equipment will be right above the seating area. Downside is it will take up some closet space.

2. Place equipment in the basement underneath the steps. This was my original choice until I started playing with my harmony 890 remote at my current house. What I found was that if I was about 40 feet away from the equipment and the signal had to go from one floor to the next with a wall in between, it was clunky and did not always accept the signal. I don't want to deal with that issue and have to be going up and down the steps to get something turned on properly, etc.

3. Buy a long TV stand and place it just below where the screen will go in the theater room. The problem is, I have only found one that will easily hold all my equipment, allow airflow, etc. and look nice in the room. It is a Salamander Design triple wide 21 inch high. The good side is it will give me something to set the center channel on (AV123 Bigfoot). The downside is it is going to cost me about $1300-$1500 for this piece of furniture where the other two options cost zero as I can use my current rack. The other downside is between the furniture and bigfoot, the bottom of my screen will have to be about 35 inches off the floor. In my current house the screen is about 32 inches off the floor and I think any higher will be to high.

4. Tuck the equipment in one of the corners of the pool table room directly behind the theater. I will need to buy a new rack as the one I have will not look right so what I am looking at would be in the 1K range. So, it would cost me something where some of the other options cost nothing. Also, it will cut the corner close where the pool table will sit. May make a shot on the one corner of the pool table uncomfortable or need to use a small stick.

Looking for your thoughts or any one with other options. Maybe a different remote will have better range and alleviate my concern with the basement, etc.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Think about the trip you need to make if you have to play with some of the equipment or pop in a new blueray. My rack sits right outside of the theater room. Easy to access, but with no light, heat or noise issues.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
After looking at your plan, there really aren't any good places unless you give up your foyer closet.

What I think I would do is build a false screen wall and built the equipment into it to one side. Because I hate seeing blinking lights I would build a door or cover so that the rack is hidden. Check out Jeff's thread for ideas.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts