AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi:

I just found an HP z556- a floor model- at a local store for 600. I figured it would be nice to have an all-in-one box my wife can figure out than my hobbled-together system I currently have (that she HATES)! Looks like it does a lot of nice stuff- she can play the music, TV, DVD's, all in one nice little box.

Cool.

So, I had a couple questions as I am just getting started. Will this thing rip DVDs to it's own HD- I would like to have a video library my 6 year old can watch w/o handling DVD's. If not, can I rip elsewhere and import? If so, what format/codec?

Second, the only video in I have is OTA HD- I do not care about standard TV. So I put my HD antenna into the right place, and I am seeing the channels... but the video is a bit choppy. My signal strength is high- I get six bars out of six on all channels. What can I do to smooth this out? (Memory?)

Finally, any good resource for setting these up?

Thanks!

Dave

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Hey carfac.

I just bought one of these last week for 679.99 as well! So far I am really enjoying it. I had some stuttering when viewing OTA HD channels until I unplugged this powered signal booster that came with my Terk HD OTA Antenna. When I unplugged it, I lost CBS HD but I gained all the other channels working smooth. HOpe this helps.

-Evangelo2

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Evangelo2:L

Yep- I already read through your post!

Did the memory addition also help?

I do have an in-line amp I put in--- I put a good, big antenna in the attic- other than the attic wall, it has a straight shot to the mountain will all transmitters here. I used the "cable" wiring in my house to take the signal to the basement, then mack out direct into the z556... the amp is just below the antenna in the attic. I will try dropping that to see what happens.

Hey, I have not gotten to adding my music in yet- I have it all on a LARGE BU HD because I like high-quality music. So most of my music (400+ cds) is .wav. Anyway, is there a good way to bring in the song titles/artists and all from the file name and path- I do not want to have to type in all the song info by hand!

·
Registered
196 Posts
I just got a Z558 from 6th ave. My HD is also choppy with my TERK. I unplugged the amplifier and I still get the same thing. Choppy HD. my signal shows Full green when I run the wizard. HD movie Trailers from Apple also run a little choppy. I am also only 10 miles or so from the antennas.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I've got the Z555, 2Gb was a huge upgrade...much snappier ...and is inexpensive now. I rip DVD's with FairUseWizard...the avi files play fine but it takes 4 hours to rip a single DVD.

Keep an eye on the CPU heatsink. It is the only entry point for air into the case. If it gets clogged (it will get clogged) the case will overheat in short order. You should open the case a couple times a year, remove the fan and vacuum out the heat sink.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.