AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading this forum for several months and finally getting to see one in person, I pulled the plug and ordered a Sony HS20 (thank you for the valuable information source!).

I'm currently displaying on a plain wall, but have a 96" CCW Carada ready to go as soon as I have time. This is the first projector I've ever owned - a slight step up from my 32" Wega! Teamed with, for now, a Comcast 5100 series HD box (till the DVR is out here), an old non-progressive Samsung DVD player (maybe till the HD-941 is out?), Denon AVR1800, a combination of Polk and Energy speakers, and component cables and interconnects from Blue Jeans Cable. Room is 14'(screen wall)x21' with 8' ceilings. One row of seating about 12' with a poker/game table and chairs behind.

First impression (for me, and everyone who's seen it at my house) is WOW. Again, nothing to compare it to other than a few (much more expensive) projectors at local stores, and the HS20 certainly seems to hold its own with these. Media room is about 75% complete. Screen is on table now but will be ceiling mounted (Premier Mount) soon and screen will be up soon. So far I'm very impressed. HD material is stunning, DVD's are great and regular old cable is certainly watchable. Even without using HDMI or DVI (yet), the picture is very good. Colors seem accurate to my eye, but I'll use DVE (and maybe the image director SW?) to tweak settings once the screen is up. The image is plenty bright, even with some lighting in the room, the Iris ON, Black on high and contrast turned way up. Have watched a bunch of HD so far (NFL playoffs are incredible, despite the Titans performance!), and both LOTR movies, the Eagles DVD, and Nemo (my 18 month old points to the Media room and says Nemo about 10x a day!). I don't see any types of artifacts or VB or issues with the projected image, it looks very smooth and not "digitized" like some I saw. No dead pixels either.

Only (slight) negatives seems to be a slight misconvergence - which I'd never have noticed without reading this forum :) Looks like 1-2 pixels green on right end of screen. Have to be right up on the screen to notice. Cycling thru the inputs is slow, should be a way to disable unused inputs or jumpt directly to one. Also, skin tones are tough to get perfect on the painted (sort of yellowy-beigey-cream color) wall, but when using the Carada sample screen material the coloring looks much better.

Couple of questions for you experts out there (thanks in advance):

1. It seems that the Black level setting does NOT stay set when I turn the projector off. Best I can tell all of the others settings "remember" what they were on, but the Black level setting does not "remember". If I set it to HIGH, watch for a while, turn the PJ off, and then come back to it any time later, the Black level DOES still show as HIGH as the setting, but when I go into the setting and move up one notch to LOW, it gets blacker, and then even blacker still when I move back down to HIGH - so it is not in HIGH already. Anybody has experience this? Suggestions? (and yes, I've tried changing the 3 provided user setups and the 3 user defined setups, same issue)

2. Comcast here has about 9 HD channels, and regardless of which one I'm on they always show as 1080i on the information page in the HS20 menu? Isn't ABC at least 720p? Is this just the way the projecter works, or is maybe the HD box just sending the images all as scaled to 1080i? Just curious.

3. Will the actual screen help absorb the light from the projector? Right now the wall seems to reflect the projector light pretty much everywhere, especially on the ceiling. I plan to paint the screen wall a flat black at some point, but I'm hoping the screen itself and its border will help absorb some of the light.

4. For my non-progressive DVD player which DDE setting is right (None, Progressive, Film)? The manual isn't really straight forward here.

I hope to get some pictures and maybe a few more comments about the projector once I get it all set up in the next few days/weeks. Thanks for any input/help.

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
Glad to hear you are enjoying the PJ. I'm sure it is a great one. I had the hs10, and am STILL waiting like others for my HS20. I assume you are in Nashville, as you reference the Titans and Comcast??

To answer a couple of your questions.

The Comcast box only sends out 1080i

The screen will cut down on some of the light spill, but for truly maximum light spill-cutting-effect, I stapled black felt on the front wall, then the front ceiling and floor, and side walls. HUGE difference. The front of the room is a black hole! This also serves to cut the reverbency of the front of the room, although I also have echo busters for that job.

I dont have the pj yet so I cant help with question 1 and 4.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the feedback. Thats what I assumed on the Comcast box. And you are right on the Nashville guess! Good luck finding the HS20, the more I read the more it sounds like I got very lucky with my timing.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
If you have the Motorola HD box from Comcast, then see the HDTV Hardware Forum about changing the resolution output from 1080i to 720p if that is what you want to do. Look for the FAQ from AVS member Miatasm.

·
Registered
6,040 Posts
Ralph,

I have the HS-20 & the CCW Carada.

Don't worry about flesh tones on your current wall, all will be well

when you put up the screen. I would do it asap.

My room dimensions are also very similar to yours 16 x 21.

1. As far as the pj retaining the settings, it should retain all of them.

I assume you're not unplugging it.

2. No HD here yet :( , soon!

3. I don't think the screen is going to "absorb" any light.

You may want paint your walls a different color & finish to lessen the

reflections. This can help a lot.

4. As far I remember, using a non-progressive player will disable the DDE

settings. The de-interlacer in the HS-20 is very good, but personally I

would go with a progressive player and get good component cables.

IMO, you're on the right track with bluejeans.

I totally agree in your assessment regarding the "non-digital" thing.

I've seen the HS-20 side-by-side with other pjs, specs and other things aside it just looked good.

I'm eagerly awaiting a professional calibration, set for "Spring".

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Milt99-

thanks for the input. The setting thing is very strange. I am not unplugging, just turning it off. The menu itself does retain the settings (i.e. they read correctly each time). But when I physically go in an change the Black level setting, which displays HIGH when I turn it back on, Low is clearly Blacker and then switching back to HIGH is even Blacker - so the menu saying HIGH when I turn it back on really isn't true. If you have a chance could you test this on yours and just see if mine is acting crazy? Thanks!

And the screen will be up very soon.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Milt99

4. As far I remember, using a non-progressive player will disable the DDE

settings. The de-interlacer in the HS-20 is very good, but personally I

would go with a progressive player and get good component cables.

IMO, you're on the right track with bluejeans.
It's the opposite. The DDE is only active when fed an interlaced signal. If you have a progressive scan signal the DDE option will not even show up in the menu. I would suggest putting the DDE setting on "Film" when showing 480i material. This will show DVDs converted from film with the proper 3:2 pull down. If the DVD is not flagged with 3:2 info, it automatically de-interlaces using the "progressive" setting.

I suppose it depends on your DVD player. But I've tried a Toshiba and Pioneer DVD players. On both of them sending the HS20 a progressive picture yielded better Picture Quality. Likewise, I have found sending it 480p from my DirecTV STB is better than 480i. But I can't really tell a difference between 1080i and 720p. They both look amazing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
the DDE on HS10 (and I assume hs20 is the same) is disabled if you use component input, no matter if it is progressive or not. I got this answer from Sony.

So to use component input I ended up buying a new DVD player that has the 3:2 pulldown built in.

regards

·
Registered
17 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by clutch8888
the DDE on HS10 (and I assume hs20 is the same) is disabled if you use component input, no matter if it is progressive or not. I got this answer from Sony.
It might be true for the HS10, but it's not true for the HS20

DDE is enabled for component, but only for preset memory numbers 1,2,3,4,5,45 and 49

That's 50Hz and 60hz video, 480/60i, 575/50i, 1080/60i, 1080/50i and 1080/24ps (or DTV1080/48i) - ie its bascically enabled when it receives an interlaced signal - but is disabled when the signal is progressive

Richard

·
Registered
72 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ralphy2004
Milt99-

thanks for the input. The setting thing is very strange. I am not unplugging, just turning it off. The menu itself does retain the settings (i.e. they read correctly each time). But when I physically go in an change the Black level setting, which displays HIGH when I turn it back on, Low is clearly Blacker and then switching back to HIGH is even Blacker - so the menu saying HIGH when I turn it back on really isn't true. If you have a chance could you test this on yours and just see if mine is acting crazy? Thanks!

And the screen will be up very soon.
I just got my HS20 two days ago. I am having this exact same problem. I'm using the supplied multi cable with my progressive scan DVD player hooked up to the component plugs on the other end of it. Anybody figure out what's going on here or how to fix this? Thanks.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Aerohawk
I just got my HS20 two days ago. I am having this exact same problem. I'm using the supplied multi cable with my progressive scan DVD player hooked up to the component plugs on the other end of it. Anybody figure out what's going on here or how to fix this? Thanks.
Bump on this, anyone???

·
Registered
134 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Aerohawk

I've got the same issue. It's a bit of a pain.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.