AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
7,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, its one year into my new theater build and thought, what the heck maybe a build thread mite be in order.

First thing was to paint the "cheerie" yellowie orange color DARK BROWN, to be exact, my words were, "whats the darkest brown you have, i was at Lowes, which is my second home hahahaha

There is another objective in this build, the HT is open to the kitchen, its an 8' wide opening that i really like. I need to close this opening with anything but a wall with a door. Any monkey could put up a wall, and a partition of sorts would be 100% better to preserve the really nice opening to the rest of the house.

·
Registered
7,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Think I'm gonna need to have a skilled metal worker frame out mine both the door jamb and at minimum the perimeter of the door itself.

You planning on a second track for up top too?

·
Registered
7,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Think I'm gonna need to have a skilled metal worker frame out mine both the door jamb and at minimum the perimeter of the door itself.

You planning on a second track for up top too?
I designed a trac/roller assembly for the bottom of the door, had ChessisWoodworking do the shop work and i assembled it.

The upper trac is a National Hardware 5430, and I used (4) NH 5330 rollers.....

·
Registered
7,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Pulled back about 6" of carpet to lay the trac, the carpet guy Nick made short work of cutting carpet, and replacing tack strip, stretched the carpet back perfect !

The guy at Lowes was right, Dark BronzeTone was very dark Lol.

Putting a final coat on the ceiling really gave it the "Cave" feel i was looking for

·
Registered
7,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Looking good, KG!
Didnt even know there were snap on wall plates, kinda shnazzy

Here are four outlet boxes for my sub amps, main surround amps, and a spare dedicated 20a for line level equipment, oh and the Pj....
They are equiped with 30a relays that are 12vdc triggered because im lazy and want everything to fire up at once

·
Registered
7,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I need about a 30' HDMI cable, from my Marantz 7010 to my Jvc RS400, whats changed in cables since i last bought years ago

My guess is i'll be picking up a 4K streaming device like a Roku by springish

The JVC arrived today:laugh:

·
Registered
7,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
the next project was the amplifiers, My Outlaw Audio M-200's all had scratchy relays, and they needed replacements......this was the culprit. The amp boards needed to be pulled out, it was a good chance to dust off the insides and clean em up a bit.

The real champ was the SolderSucker tool i picked up at a hobby store in town. Desoldering was a breeze using that tool.

·
Registered
7,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
The QSC's needed rewiring and a fan mod and a fan speed adjuster (rheostat). Here's a pic of them disassembled and ready for new fans.

after reassembling the amps I discovered there was another noise problem, the power transformers were humming and bolted to the chassis, which just carried the sound further. I unbolted them from the chassis and bought 1" sorbothane half sphere's to sit on and decouple them, Wow! that really quieted them down. someday they will do their job from the basement :0/

·
Registered
7,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Did I mention I am 4 years post divorce and my first project was to replace all the drivers in all my main and surround speaker cabs due to the damage my Ex did to them.......this is painful to look at. The cones are black aluminum Dayton drivers, the yellow is the spider which ur not suppose to see

·
Registered
7,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Heres a drawing of a super chunk corner basstrap. Spent some time over at Gearslutz so I had to LOL, a lot a bright boys over there.

Heres a quick sketch of my first reflection point absorber, tryed to thicken it up to cut down on any ringing in the bass region. My goal is LEDE

1 - 20 of 61 Posts