AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Given the above, the HT9060 should work as well, given it's higher output and the LED Helmholtz-Kohlrausch effect.
I saw the HT9060 first hand 2 weeks ago and it throws a beautiful image, but you would be stretching the limits on a 180" screen. I saw it on a 150" wide screen and it looked great. Maybe use it with an A lens and it maybe would work well.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
I saw the HT9060 first hand 2 weeks ago and it throws a beautiful image, but you would be stretching the limits on a 180" screen. I saw it on a 150" wide screen and it looked great. Maybe use it with an A lens and it maybe would work well.
Based upon reviews, the HT9060 has a higher output than the RS600, did you think this to be the case?

·
Registered
787 Posts
Based upon reviews, the HT9060 has a higher output than the RS600, did you think this to be the case?
I would say they are similar in brightness to be honest. The 9060 was super sharp, which was impressive! I would not have used the RS600 with my screen without the A lens. It would have not been enough light output. Now 9060 with the LED, it will hold the same level for a long time.

Is the OP's screen 16:9 or 2.35:1? I do not think he mentioned which.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
After doing a simple white balance on the 9060 to it's Bright mode, that knocks the lumens down to about 1700. Compared to an NX5/7 that's maybe 50-100 lumens more than the JVC at best. But being LED it will hold the brightness much longer, though it can never be recovered if and when it does start to drop.

·
Premium Member
4,039 Posts
I don't know why people say that, but with the JVC there is almost no loss even at like 1000 hours. About 10-15% at that point. And by like 2000-2500 hours it's about 30-35% max loss.

But for me 1000 hours is like 3 years of use heh.

A brighter projector is not a bad idea with a screen that big, but unfortunately the cost of one that will match the JVC in other attributes is quite expensive. With an NX5 and just replacing the bulb regularly it may still end up cheaper and with a better image. I guess it all depends on how many hours a year you will use it. If all you do is watch movies and don't use it as like a general television then even like 3 movies a week is only 300 hours a year.

If you are running max light output and higher on/off cycles the lamps will fade much faster . I had the VW675 and RS600 side by side and BOTH lost 20% by 400 hours . Lamps are lamps regardless of the manufacturer, those that run max output for a larger screen will change out after 500 hours .

This person needs 3000 lumens minimum, even with 1.5 gain material all the projectors he mentioned are a waste of time unless he's going to watch SDR only . Nothing short of a VW5000 or BenQ LK970/990 will suffice , a laser in this case an absolute must . The projectors he mentioned will do 110-130" screen max, anything else will not be acceptable .

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
After doing a simple white balance on the 9060 to it's Bright mode, that knocks the lumens down to about 1700. Compared to an NX5/7 that's maybe 50-100 lumens more than the JVC at best. But being LED it will hold the brightness much longer, though it can never be recovered if and when it does start to drop.
I did some research into Phillip's HLD LED technology and I found this info:

The maintenance of the pump LEDs has been assessed so far up to 12k hrs for 26 individual LEDs under various stress
conditions. Figure 11 shows the results for a high solder temperature of 105˚C, with a drive current of 1.5A at 100% duty
cycle (left graph) and with a peak drive current of 4.0A at 50% duty cycle (right graph). These results show no difference
between pulsed and DC operation. Radiative flux decay is less than 5% at 12khrs even at these highly stressed drive
conditions
. We can conclude that the HLD module design is very robust with respect to the LED operating conditions.

LED light engine concept with ultra-high scalable luminance
So basically, HLD light output is almost completely stable over the lamps rated lifetime and lamp life/failure is actually more related to on/off cycles than lamp hours.

I would speculate that the LED modules can be replaced as they are modular in nature.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
I would say they are similar in brightness to be honest. The 9060 was super sharp, which was impressive! I would not have used the RS600 with my screen without the A lens. It would have not been enough light output. Now 9060 with the LED, it will hold the same level for a long time.

Is the OP's screen 16:9 or 2.35:1? I do not think he mentioned which.

It's 16:9 :)

Which A lens are you using? In case I decide to swap out screens.

Also, when I run the calc, it says with a 1.5 gain, 18' will give ~25fL on the nx5.

Using madvr, won't the tone mapping help here?

I mean in reality, there is no projector today on the market that can hit the 1000nits sub 8k.

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
If you are running max light output and higher on/off cycles the lamps will fade much faster . I had the VW675 and RS600 side by side and BOTH lost 20% by 400 hours . Lamps are lamps regardless of the manufacturer, those that run max output for a larger screen will change out after 500 hours .

This person needs 3000 lumens minimum, even with 1.5 gain material all the projectors he mentioned are a waste of time unless he's going to watch SDR only . Nothing short of a VW5000 or BenQ LK970/990 will suffice , a laser in this case an absolute must . The projectors he mentioned will do 110-130" screen max, anything else will not be acceptable .
The lk990 though is getting dinged pretty hard for color accuracy in the other threads. Most of the data I read in that thread highlights issues with that projector in terms of accuracy, which as primarily movies, is something I care about.

I plan on using madvr for tone mapping, shouldn't that help improve the HDR performance?

·
Registered
787 Posts
It's 16:9 :)

Which A lens are you using? In case I decide to swap out screens.

Also, when I run the calc, it says with a 1.5 gain, 18' will give ~25fL on the nx5.

Using madvr, won't the tone mapping help here?

I mean in reality, there is no projector today on the market that can hit the 1000nits sub 8k.

I use the UH480. The ISCO III are nice also. If you want to spend more you can go with a paladin lens, they have less pin cushion affect, but more $$. I have never seen a 1.5 gain screen, so I can not comment on how that will look. If you ever swap out a screen, go with a 2.35:1 or 2:40:1 and use an A lens. You can then put the projector closer and use more light than zooming. Just my opinion, I know some do not like A lens, but I will never go back to zooming in my theater for the foreseeable future

·
Banned
6,554 Posts
The lk990 though is getting dinged pretty hard for color accuracy in the other threads. Most of the data I read in that thread highlights issues with that projector in terms of accuracy, which as primarily movies, is something I care about.

I plan on using madvr for tone mapping, shouldn't that help improve the HDR performance?

I did some preliminary measurements last night and it’s not as bad as has been initially reported, at all.

·
Registered
6,860 Posts

You can't have it all unless you are willing to shell out BIG bucks :)

The LK990 is in your budget, and will light up your screen - while also supporting 4K HDR & 3D. There really isn't much else out there that compares. The color gamut isn't as wide as some of the less bright options, but that will be a whole lot less noticeable than a dark picture in HDR.

If you like the idea of 180" and don't want to spend a small fortune, the LK990 is bar none your best bet.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
You can't have it all unless you are willing to shell out BIG bucks :)

The LK990 is in your budget, and will light up your screen - while also supporting 4K HDR & 3D. There really isn't much else out there that compares. The color gamut isn't as wide as some of the less bright options, but that will be a whole lot less noticeable than a dark picture in HDR.

If you like the idea of 180" and don't want to spend a small fortune, the LK990 is bar none your best bet.
Starting to see that as a lead option, just now debating if i should back off hdr until ceida this year to see what may come out

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | B&W 802D3, HTM1D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
8,403 Posts
Hi All,

I dont want to repeat too much in this forum, as this is mainly to get projector advice or potentially projector/screen advice.

A friend gave me his old Elite Screens ezFrame CineGray 5D 180". I have a 22x16 room with 12' ceiling (schematics can be seen in new build thread linked below).

I am debating which projector to get and am torn. I am hoping the 1.5x gain will assit with brightness given the screen size.

Between an Nx5, 695es, or lk990, which would be the best option.

Some friends are stating it may be necessary to ditch the screen and get a different one for 4k UHD at this time due to brightness.

I appreciate your input!

edit: added benq's to the list. Removed nx7, added lk990.

New build thread: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-dedicated-theater-design-construction/3066730-new-house-finally-room-dedicated-ht.html
I'm a big fan of JVC projectors especially for their black levels. But for your screen size, I'd be going LK970 or LK990. The contrast levels won't be nearly as good as what you get on JVC, but those JVC and that Sony (which is dimmer than JVC even) won't do the job of lighting that size screen at all. My friend has had an RS500 on his 186" screen and it was ok but not great. He just upgraded to an LK970 and is quite thrilled.

Based on the feedback between LK970 and LK990, it's not clear but the 970 may be a better deal if you can find one. Sounds like the 990 has some sort of "brilliant color" mode that can't be disabled without losing 60% of the rated lumens and the 970 does not have this problem.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
FWIW as far as the math goes. An NX5 at close throw would produce 25fL (85nits) in high bulb mode on a 180" 16:9 1.5 gain screen.

After 30% bulb loss that would be down to 17.5fL (60nits).

This is based on 1600 lumens which is about what my NX5 did at close throw on my screen after calibration.

IMO this is more than enough as I run my NX5 on a 1.0 gain screen at 20fL (70nits) and find it plenty bright for SDR and HDR (with madVR).

But of course that is just my opinion. It's more than bright enough, but more brightness of course wouldn't be bad. But personally I could never deal with rainbow effect if that was the alternative.

·
Banned
6,554 Posts
I'm a big fan of JVC projectors especially for their black levels. But for your screen size, I'd be going LK970 or LK990. The contrast levels won't be nearly as good as what you get on JVC, but those JVC and that Sony (which is dimmer than JVC even) won't do the job of lighting that size screen at all. My friend has had an RS500 on his 186" screen and it was ok but not great. He just upgraded to an LK970 and is quite thrilled.

Based on the feedback between LK970 and LK990, it's not clear but the 970 may be a better deal if you can find one. Sounds like the 990 has some sort of "brilliant color" mode that can't be disabled without losing 60% of the rated lumens and the 970 does not have this problem.

This shouldn’t be an issue after taking some preliminary measurements with it on the other night. I’m sure this was also exaggerated by Javs’ meter’s inability to measure laser phosphor properly.

·
Registered
15,071 Posts
FWIW as far as the math goes. An NX5 at close throw would produce 25fL (85nits) in high bulb mode on a 180" 16:9 1.5 gain screen.

After 30% bulb loss that would be down to 17.5fL (60nits).

This is based on 1600 lumens which is about what my NX5 did at close throw on my screen after calibration.

IMO this is more than enough as I run my NX5 on a 1.0 gain screen at 20fL (70nits) and find it plenty bright for SDR and HDR (with madVR).

But of course that is just my opinion. It's more than bright enough, but more brightness of course wouldn't be bad. But personally I could never deal with rainbow effect if that was the alternative.
It's still BARELY enough (borderline), will work ok in a batcave, but the question becomes how many hours will he put on it, and how often does someone want to change the bulb.
When you run a bulb in high, it will last about 1/4th to 1/6th as long in my experience (not 1/2 as long), but these JVC bulbs are supposedly pretty good so who knows.

Of course there is always the double stack option (though there are a lot of issues with it IMO, but it can be done).

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
What do folks think about dropping down to a e-shift 6050UB instead until the brightness on native 4k increase in the next 1-2 years?

21 - 40 of 61 Posts