Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello ---

I'm planning my HT room addition to my home. I'm thinking of a room about 20' wide by 26' deep. The 26' wall will be attached to my home. I'm trying to figure out how to keep sound out of my HT, and also keep my HT sound from bothering the rest of my home (and my neighbors.)

Are there advantages to building this room with concrete walls, as well as the concrete slab floor?

I noticed this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...light=concrete

which touched upon the STC of concrete versus some other materials:

Dennis Erskine wrote --- >
Quote:
I don't have that number off the top of my head, 6" solid concrete is 53, 3" is 47. 15" of solid concrete block is 63.

As a means of comparison, a wall of staggered 2x4 studs, 24" O.C., 2x6 top and bottom plates, one layer of 1/2" gypsum board one side, double layer opposite side, one thickness of 3.5 to 4" fiber glass insulation ... STC=53 as well.

Anyone have experience with concrete?

how does the price compare to using the standard wooden frame construction?

Thanks

·
Registered
404 Posts
concrete might cost a bit more for finishing costs-you wont want painted block so you have to cover it and you still have to build walls inside to to hang rock -wire ect

if the neighbors want to help pay go for it if not forget them and sound proof wall connecting at house

send the extra money to your favorate speaker salesman-and screw the neighbors

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not trying just to protect the neighbors... I would like a very very quiet HT. I don't want to hear the neighbor's cars, dogs, and kids.

But I don't have any extra money to throw away.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
404 Posts
will room have windows? most of your outside sound comes through windows

if you want windows find tripple glass double hung with a storm window also

i lived by a airport a few years ago and the gubermnt paid to sound proof and central air-heat the houses around it (windows doors insulation)

finaly was able to watch a movie or listen to a cd

use a steel insulated door were you enter from ht to house

this will keep sound transfer to a minimum

i dont design ht i do the actual work.

i put tar paper between the 2 layers of rock to keep the sheets from vibrating between them

the customer stated he could hear squeeks with the ht in his first house from between the sheets of rock from his sub woofer

so i did what hardwood guys do.

he called me over for a bbq and said it worked great i dont know if it did but tar paper is cheap

good luck

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
re --- windows ...

If my city code inspector will allow it, I'll do away with the windows.

re -- concrete ...

has anyone built their HT building with all concrete?

·
Registered
631 Posts
I remember 2 that were block construction. One in AZ and one in FL. If I remember right they both built 2x4 framed inside with drywall. I can't remember who. My memory just isn't the same sense my lobotomy.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Hello to all.

When doing my Mediaroom spreadsheet I was surprised at the sonic characteristics of concrete blocks. One thing that amazed me is the difference a layer of paint on them can make.

Concrete is great for letting low-frequencies out the room. You have to consider that if you don't let them out, then you'll have to do $omething inside the room to tame them.

Even if you use concrete blocks, you need additional absorption for low frequencies inside the room to reach the desired reverb times.

Play with the Mediaroom spreadsheet and you'll get a fair idea of the parameters involved. Download it from the link in my signature.

Best regards.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.