AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hello, a quick question. We are building our house and will in the future be putting together a HT. I am planning the space for it now. As it happens the best area for the theater results in the rough shape and dimensions below (not to scale, just a sketch). The screen will be at the top of the sketch. I realize a rectangle would be best, but not sure how crucial it actually will be in practical use. I could eliminate the 2 feet "popped out" area to the left resulting in a perfectly rectangular room 15' 9" by 20' 9" but it would result in some needed structural components and a cost (probably $500-$700). How much would that upper corner really interfere with my sound? And would you prefer the extra width for seating, even with a slight irregularity to the sound? What would you do? Thanks!

·
Registered
663 Posts
A: will it cost a lot more to fix after the house is finished?

B: will it drive you crazy 'til your remaining days if you stay in this house and regret it forever?

"It's better to regret something that you have done, than something you haven't done." Gibby Haynes

That being said, your little bump out is small potatoes to design around compared to what many on these forums have had to deal with.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

A: Yes, it will cost more later and I would rather roll it into the mortgage.

B: It will drive me crazy if I were to think (or others were to say) that the sound could be noticeably affected by the bump out.

With the position it is, would you expect it to affect the sound noticeably?

thanks

·
Registered
311 Posts
Is there an option to flip the room. Meaning, putting the screen along the 17' 9". Based on you diagram by flipping, you can have the first row of seat well before the wall protrudes and it will have a more cleaner look as well. Also, this will give more space for a bigger screen and speaker layouts. Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
16,873 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gskinusa  /t/1524710/new-ht-construction-importance-of-perfect-rectangle#post_24544251

Is there an option to flip the room. Meaning, putting the screen along the 17' 9"... this will give more space for a bigger screen

Width at the seating area is worth MUCH more than width at the screen.

Even if the screen is 10' wide, 15'9" is more than enough. If OP uses an AT screen, he can put the speakers behind the screen, reducing or eliminating the impact of the notch.

IMHO, do NOT reduce the 17'9" width down to 15'9" just to make a perfect rectangle. Most of us would pay big bucks to get an extra 2' of seating width... gives you room for side aisles and moves your end seats away from the side walls for better listening position.

·
RETIRED theater builder
35,428 Posts
stick the second row of seating in the narrow portion. Heading over to house today where we did that. The first row will be in the wide section, and most of the time you will be facing the screen and forget about a less than perfect room.

Where is the door?

Just noticed it would cost you $500-700 for a wide rectangular room, DO IT that is a drop in the bucket of what the theater is going to cost you.

·
Registered
311 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarence  /t/1524710/new-ht-construction-importance-of-perfect-rectangle#post_24544378

Width at the seating area is worth MUCH more than width at the screen.

Even if the screen is 10' wide, 15'9" is more than enough. If OP uses an AT screen, he can put the speakers behind the screen, reducing or eliminating the impact of the notch.

IMHO, do NOT reduce the 17'9" width down to 15'9" just to make a perfect rectangle. Most of us would pay big bucks to get an extra 2' of seating width... gives you room for side aisles and moves your end seats away from the side walls for better listening position.

I agree that in an ideal scenario we would like as much width in the seating as the screen is. In this case though I respectfully disagree with the thought of width at the seating area (for the 2nd row) to be wider than the screen. I agree with the thought of not losing the 2' of room width and as you have stated it is hard to get more space. That is the reason I was suggesting to have the 2nd row seating in the narrow area as that will give best of both worlds with the first row full width and the 2nd row still accommodate similar seating as the first row but just little closer to one side of the wall.

OP, I would suggest not to reduce the width of the room at all. I just went through moving my HT room to a more dedicated space and the extra space you get gives you a lot of options like placement of subs, wide speakers etc. I would also suggest to look at the number of seating you want to accommodate. By using the raiser for the 2nd row (I am assuming you are going with the 2nd row) it would not look odd when you have a narrow width. These are just my thoughts as I went through similar situation just recently. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
663 Posts
missed that as well. .....wouldn't chop 2' off the remaining length of the room..

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
Unless you want to change the dimensions to the Golden Ratio I doubt you'll ever notice the difference. That is, afterall, the only 'perfect rectangle'.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Thanks for the thoughts everyone. I can't make the "golden rectangle" as it would require me to extend to 24' on the length or shrink to around 13' on my width.

The entry to the room is more or less needed in a specific location. I have updated the picture to show the entry point to the room plus given labels to the walls. The length of the notch on wall B looks a little longer than it actually is. It is about 4 feet long.

So it would be ok to have the room with the screen on the wide wall (wall B)? I had assumed all along it would be better to make the room deep with the screen on wall A.

Thanks for your input.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts