Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlemen,

I have been watching this forum for quite some team now, learning tricks of the trade from Mr. Erkskine and others. My professional trade is a network LAN/WAN engineer, but I am an aspiring DIYer.

I am building my HT in the basement of my new house and created this thread to keep track of my progress. My HT is going to be about 22x15' and here is the WALL AND CEILING recipe from the inside out. Double Drywall > Sound Barrier > Sound Board > Insulation > Stud. I plan to use either "Great Stuff" or a contractor to seal all the cracks and holes in the room so that it is as close to air tight as I can make it. In addition, I am planning on de-coupling the topplates from the floor joists by using the RSIC isolation clips from www.silentsource.com.

I will be using an outside door and am currently investigating the possibility of applying Sound Barrier to the inside of the door. I have heard that they are "sandwhiched", but have not looked further into it yet. Because my wife and I would like to change our front door to the house, I may just move it into the HT and then buy a new front door.

I am about a month along now, and am doing all of the work myself, aside from perhaps the electrical wiring, etc ... I will soon add pictures to this thread. I have, however attached the floor layout. It took me several days to come up with, and would appreciate some constructive feedback.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I wish I had a wider room. :( Mine is 13' x 22'. The sound barrier and sound board may be more then you need, but then again, you can't do it over. I just did double drywall and insulation. I would have done accoustiblok if I wasn't on a budget.

Regarding room, I would definetely move your front speakers to the front and a bit in towards center. I would move the side speakers forward (even with front row), or at least equi-distant between rows (unless the back row is sweet spot where you will do all your viewing).

I don't see sub positions? Am I missing them?

It looks like it will be real sweet!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Nice Plans, I like the columns, i wish i had space to do that in mine.

Mine is 12'x10' very tight, so tight i'm actually having to sink the projector into my back wall to the drywall on the other side, above the door, to get the throw I need for my 70"x52" 4:3 screen, the size makes the room very chanlanging, and fun in a way, trying to figure out how to get around each problem that comes up.... Im pretty rescorceful and usualy find the solutions needed.

Hope to se pics fo the HT progress soon.

Jason

·
Registered
631 Posts
Ok I have a couple. 1: You have the second row seating, it is on a 12inch riser right? Do you step up to get in the room, or is the front sunk in the floor. 2: I would make sure the steps are well lite. They seem a little narrow on paper. 3: Dedicated power run to the Equipment room. 4: Power for the projector. Just a couple of thoughts, and questions.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gentlemen,

Thanks for the replies.

Quote:
Regarding room, I would definetely move your front speakers to the front and a bit in towards center.
I don't have front speaker positions shown yet. The front speakers are Paradigm Studio 100 v.2s, and will not fit into the colums. Sorry for the confusion. Otherwise, yes, they would need to be moved up quite a bit!

Quote:
I don't see sub positions? Am I missing them?
I haven't decided on the sub location yet. I plan to use the 15" servo-driven Paradigm subwoofer.

Quote:
Hope to se pics fo the HT progress soon.
I'll put some of the pics up as soon as I remember how to update my virtual domain strikeattack.com. I haven't updated the page in like three years, and I will need to find the authentication before I can drop the jpegs to the server. I should be able to do that this week.

Quote:
Ok I have a couple. 1: You have the second row seating, it is on a 12inch riser right? Do you step up to get in the room, or is the front sunk in the floor. 2: I would make sure the steps are well lite. They seem a little narrow on paper. 3: Dedicated power run to the Equipment room. 4: Power for the projector. Just a couple of thoughts, and questions.
10 or 12 inch riser, haven't decided. You will have to step up into the room. I plan to have some sort of wooden step or something. There will definitely be an isolated circuit for the HT room. In addition, I plan to run RGB, serial, A/C, and possibly even coax to the projector. I'm not that far along yet.

Thanks guys. The pictures will come soon!

Oh, by the way, the first issue of Home Theater Builder arrived today. I plan on reading it tonight...

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Please keep us updated on the usage of the RSIC clips. I am very interested in these. Are you using the decoupling clips (DC04)?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.