AVS Forum banner

New HT, new equipment, dream system

1K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  phisch 
#1 ·
I am building a new Home Theater.

I get to design a new add-on to my house and choose the dimensions. Yay for me!

I own an RS-2 projector and an RSVP-2 scaler from JVC

I need to buy a screen for CIH and figure out how to do it all. Does this mean I need to use either electric masking or perhaps a UH380/M380 Panny setup? Not sure I understand how it works to achieve both widescreen formats without light loss - I need advice.

There is too much info on this forum and it is too dispersed.

Can someone tell me given the variables below what some good choices might be and how to impliment a CIH setup properly for my system (or at least point me to this specific info by a link)?
  • Room will be about 25' wide by 30' deep
  • screen should have an overall width of about 10' maximum
  • Room will be light controlled.
  • PJ throw needs to be decided but I have flexibility.
  • Budget is no special concern but I don't believe in high end names for high

end pricing when less expensive and equally viable alternatives are available.

Thanks all!

Russ

See less See more
#2 ·
1. If budget is no special concern, then hands down get the ISCO 3 lens + cineslide combo... though I think this will be more expensive than the projector you have.

2. Place the projector as far back from the screen as possible.

3. Decide on if you want an acoustically transparent screen (SMX or Stewart perf) or standard screen (carada is best performance/dollar). If you want an acoustically transparent screen, the size may have to be a bit smaller if you don't have desired brightness.

4. Masking is optional but recommended. I believe all these companies have masking solutions.

#3 ·
Thanks for the advice,

1. Is the ISCO/CINESLIDE worth the heavy premium over the UH380/M380 combo? It all comes back to the point of diminishing returns - how much extra performance do I receive for serious extra dollars in expenditure.

2. I thought that with the RS2 there was a significant loss of light output (as much as 33%) at full throw. Wouldn't it be better to place it closer and also avoid using any lens shift to keep firepower at a maximum?

3. No acoustically transparent screen for this room. In my current room I have a Stewart Firehawk but I don't know whether this time around I may want to consider something with a little gain. I'm not really sure how to make that decision either.

~Russ

#4 ·
Why only a 10' screen in such a huge room? I would contact someone like Dennis Erskine before you finalize your room dimensions there is a lot that he can help with.

Nate

#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Rubman /forum/post/15566044

1. Is the ISCO/CINESLIDE worth the heavy premium over the UH380/M380 combo? It all comes back to the point of diminishing returns - how much extra performance do I receive for serious extra dollars in expenditure.

All things equal... you'll probably get better focus and contrast with the ISCO. There is definitely the point of diminishing returns issue and no one here can decide that for you. Me personally, I wouldn't want to invest so much in a lens at this point hoping that native 2.40 projectors will come out soon but at the same time, they may never come to market. But if the ISCO/CINESLIDE combo is affordable for you, then by all means go for the ISCO, you can't go wrong with that.

Quote:

2. I thought that with the RS2 there was a significant loss of light output (as much as 33%) at full throw. Wouldn't it be better to place it closer and also avoid using any lens shift to keep firepower at a maximum?

You'll get more brightness the closer the throw... but you'll get more lens artifacts too. It's a balancing act. Lens performance is better the farther the throw. If you can, I'd probably test it on your setup before deciding the final throw.

Quote:

Thanks for the advice,

3. No acoustically transparent screen for this room. In my current room I have a Stewart Firehawk but I don't know whether this time around I may want to consider something with a little gain. I'm not really sure how to make that decision either.

With your high contrast projector and light control, I'd imagine going with a Carada BW (1.4 gain) or Stewart ST130 (1.3 gain) would be best. Though I heard the Carada is pretty much on par with the Stewart but the Carada is much cheaper.

#6 ·
10' is too small... My room is 17 Wide X 30 Deep and I went with a 14' wide scope Microperf, ISOC III, Cineslide, Stewart VistaScope electric masking system..

#7 ·
Hey Jeff and all who responded,

The room is a balancing act between true high end audio and cinema. I am using Martin Logan Statement E2 speakers which are nearly 5 feet wide between their three tower span. I also need to be sure that they have adequate clearance at the sides and behind them for the rear wave. The room will be designed at 25' width but I am being conservative and calling it 23' since I have not yet planned for acoustic treatments or pillars, etc.

In the end I will probably wind up with a 12' wide screen after all my calculations are done.

I have done a bit of research now and it looks like the new Prismasonic HD-5000R may be my solution. It is a 5 element lens with a pass-through for 16:9 so I don't have to use one of those motorized slides, adding yet another discrete command into my daisy chain and dealing with light spill issues. Doesn't hurt that's it a smidge above 2 grand all-in either!

As far as the screen is concerned, I guess that I will need masking at the sides if I do this CIH setup, right? I'll have to check and see who offers that. Stewart does but I don't know about the others.

Would love to hear all your suggestions for the room. I have already purchased 4 separate and complete sets of D-Box motion seating, enough fibre optics for the ceiling/curtains to wrap around North America and a high end audio system that makes me cry like Caruso the sad clown when I hear it sing. I can't wait till the room is built!

Russ

#9 ·

Quote:
In the end I will probably wind up with a 12' wide screen after all my calculations are done.

This is probably the limit on screen size with an RS2....it's just not bright enough for anything larger.

Quote:
As far as the screen is concerned, I guess that I will need masking at the sides if I do this CIH setup, right? I'll have to check and see who offers that. Stewart does but I don't know about the others.

SMX offers a nice masking system with their ProMask screens, and at a cheaper price than the Stewart solution.

Also, if you are going to use the RS2 at short throw with the Prismasonic, I would look into the curved screens as well.

#10 ·
Who makes the curved screens? I know Prismasonic offers frames and material but I am looking for an out-of-the-box solution with integrated electric side masking. Curved would be a bit better considering the slight barrel distortion of some anamorphic lenses.

Thanks,

Russ

#11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by phisch /forum/post/15574117

Also, if you are going to use the RS2 at short throw with the Prismasonic, I would look into the curved screens as well.

+1 , helps with pincushion, and curved screens just look cool and make a visual impact statement

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Rubman /forum/post/15574183

Who makes the curved screens? I know Prismasonic offers frames and material but I am looking for an out-of-the-box solution with integrated electric side masking. Curved would be a bit better considering the slight barrel distortion of some anamorphic lenses.

Thanks,

Russ

Here you go;

http://www.smxscreen.com/pro-mask-masking-products.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.