Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
 click here

Here is my new home theater. I built it in the 26X18 game room upstairs. DIY 4X8' screen and ceiling mounted Sanyo PLV-Z1 with 7.1 Klipsch RF3 and a Def Tech PF15tl+

This project took me approximately 8 weekends, because I had to build the two rear walls (theater and equipment room) and had to add a bump out wall to cover the two large picture windows at the front of the theater where the screen is located.

All in all I am very pleased with it, only thing left to do is some light trim work, add the IS/GOM and the crown molding.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I could not get the link to work. It says I am not the owner. If you look at the link, it looks like it is to an Edit Mode page.

Regards

- Hal

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
DavidT,

Nice! What color of paint is that in your room? It reads like a dark chocolate brown in the pics. I hope you are enjoying it!

pam

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Pam,

Its called Magma, its a brownish black. I am going to do the lower half in a medium gray IS/GOM, maybe puzzle as it looked nice.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Looks good! I only wish I had a room I could have done that much in, in 8 weekends. I've been going for nearly 4 months now and I'm maybe half way done. The problem is that I'm now adding more stuff as I go and get more confident in my skills (a good thing I guess). Now my father is going to come down the May long weekend coming up in 3 weeks and help me hang a new ceiling over my old one (he used to be a drywaller so lucky me). I just detest my current ceiling and I think going for a smooth ceiling will make me much happier. I'm also going to frame in a window I hate which surprisingly met with no resistance from my Wife.

Funny enough she gave me the most qualifying statement ever (Basically a blank cheque) "It's your basement". Woo! :D

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Very nice! I like the color also, I'm going to paint mine a darker color.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all,

I finally watched a complete movie the other day and am enjoying it alot, plus I added a SACD player and have been listening to some SACD music as well. Nice....very nice!

I think as time goes by I will actuall paint the ceiling a darker color as well

·
Registered
14 Posts
DavidT, What's the size of the finished room after adding the rear walls? You mention the screen is 4X8, what's the distance between the projector and the screen? How about the seat distance? Oh, also, do you see any screendoor effect from the front row? I liked the pictures a lot, very nice work and layout.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
amor65,

Thanks for the reply!

Finished dimensions are approximately W17.5' X L19'. Distance of the projector is approximately 14'. The rear sofa is about 1.5 feet from the rear wall. I must admit that i cannot readily see the screendoor effect because I have a slight defocus on the PJ as I like the way it smoothes out the picture but still maintains a nice PQ.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Hi David. Thanks for fixing the link. I like the pics!!! I also like the colors.

I am curious about your DIY screen. What kind did you make. Is it a Parkland Plastics screen or a fabric screen?

Regards,

Hal

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Hal,

Its a DIY blackout screen, with black velveteen borders over 1X4 fir as the frame. It was really easy to make. Stretching the screen and stapling the velveteen took the longest. My wife helped with those projects, and had it done in about three hours.

I attached two 2X4's to the bumpout wall horizontally, then nailed the screen to the 2X4s.

Then I used leftover velveteen scraps, cut small circles to cover the nailheads.

Now it is like my screen is floating in mid-air.

Worked like a charm!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.