AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a new house (first house) and I am planning on doing something with the game room. I don't really care for it to be anything other than dedicated media, but it has several windows and could probably be used for other things.

I have drawn out the room now and my first run through of what I might do. I am really stumped on how to handle the windows in the room. I can't close them up (kill resale) so I have to find a way to darken/black them out that is aesthetically pleasing. Any thoughts, suggestions or ideas?

The window by the the openings to the living room is small due to the roof line. Only about 2' wide by 3' tall.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Congrats on the house.

There's tons of options for darkening windows. In the media room in my last house, I did a double curtain setup and it kept the room VERY dark. I hung an inside curtain inside the window frame, and then hung a thick curtain outside the frame that covered up the edges. This double layer worked great, and looked fine.

When I was looking for options, I also saw a shade that could be pulled down and completely black out the window. It had a track that was installed on both sides of the window that it slid in. Once it was pulled down, there was no possibility for light to come through. They even have motorized versions for a little WOW factor and "aw man that's cool".

·
Registered
561 Posts
Room layout looks great, congrats on the home purchase as well. Levelor makes a blackout shade that you can get at either Home Depot or Lowes. The can cut to fit in the store for you, and they are fairly inexpensive but most importantly they work really well. However, they aren't the most attractive option, but covered with curtains they will block the light.

The 2' x 3' window is going to be tough, how would a dark window tint work? Maybe one of the static cling stained glass window film?

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is the direction I am leaning still. I might just fill in the small window, I am still not sold on filling in the wall arches though. I am worried it will hurt me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.