M&K Sound

4xK5's (fronts and rears)

2xK4's (mids)

1xK7 (center)

Subwoofer:

SVS 25-31PCi

DVD Player:

Denon DVD-2900

New to HT, but have lurked through this forum for the past couple of months.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!!!

·
Registered
107 Posts
I like this set up for less.

LiteOn lvd 2002 ($120 on ebay)

Panasonic sa-xr45 ($300 from www.JandR.com )
www.ascendacoustics.com speakers ($1250)

You can return the speakers if not to your liking.

This is all you might need.

You can hear sa-xr25 at a Bestbuy - and the xr45 sounds better.

LiteOn lvd also sounds good.

If you don't like the sa-xr, try to hear NAD and Onkyo integra. More money, but they too were well received at hifi magazines like www.hifichoice.co.uk

·
Registered
303 Posts
Have you already purchased this equipment setup and you're looking for some confirmation? If so, you did a great job.

If you haven't made your purchases yet, I would just say that you should make sure you have demo'd different speakers and receivers to make sure these are the right ones for you.

Regards,

Karl

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
While I'm Ascend owner, I'm not sure they are going to be small enough for you. The Ascends come close to being one foot cubes. If you're still considering equipment make sure your receiver choice can handle the 4ohm load of the M&Ks.

·
Registered
329 Posts
While some internet speaker brands such as Ascend Acoustics, Axiom, etc. may provide a slight advantage in the bang-for-the buck category, it's up to you whether you would like to explore that route (remember, if you don't like it, you are only out the shipping charges but you may not wish to shoulder that).

The system that you have listed is a very good system and if, as univibe mentioned, you heard a number of different systems and decided that this was the most pleasing to you, then don't worry about whether or not you eeked out the very best value for your dollar. Sit back and enjoy your system.

I think far too many people buy the first good sounding system they hear without hearing alternatives within the same price range. If you compare a number of speakers and purchase the one that sounds best to you, you are already ahead of the curve.

Victor

·
Registered
329 Posts
In that case, i would urge you to demo a number of different setups in your price range to make sure that you are happy with your selections.

There are a lot of choices that I'm probably overlooking on the speaker front, but I would suggest you try to find a local NHT dealer and demo the NHT SB1s... Small monitors that sound very, very good and are known for their accuracy and neutrality (and so thus would compare well with the M&Ks).

http://www.nhthifi.com/2004/products...2&ProductID=11

NHT's SuperZeros, the predecessor to the SB1s are phenominal speakers and are on sale from onecall.com for $87.38 each. Unbelievable deal on speakers than many feel have few rivals in the minimonitor category.

http://ww1.onecall.com/PID_1104.htm

I don't think anyone would fault your choice of the Denon DVD-2900, one of the better universal players out there. The SVS sub is also a good choice, and save the Hsu VTF-3 MkII, not much is the same price range is going to compete.

For receivers, the H/K AVR630 is a very good receiver. Still, I would look at the other major receivers in that price range: Sony STA-DA3000ES, Yamaha RX-V2400, Denon AVR-3803, Pioneer Elite VSX-53TX. All have their strength and weaknesses and its up to you to really decide what features are important to you.

Sorry for the longer than expected post!

Victor

·
Registered
42 Posts
Other Wall mountable speakers you could look at include:

Anthony Gallo's Due speakers

B&W LM1's

Morel Soundspot

As previous posters have stated there is a wide variation in sound and it is a very subjective thing, one mans poison is anothers nirvana. The best thing to do is take a couple of CD's of tracks that you know very well and then listen to the speakers using the same tracks. This makes it easier to determine which sound you prefer.

For subs if you are doing predominantly home theater I would recommend SVS if predominantly Music either Rel or HSU.

Good listening.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.