AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am finishing my basement and have already picked up a 92" screen, now I need to figure out what to do for a projector. I am entirely new to front projection.

My 'eyeball to screen' viewing distance is about 13' with a 92" screen. Where the projector is to be mounted I will have a 10'-10.5' throw distance available.

I really don't know where to set my budget - i.e. can I get something I'd be happy with for $1000? $1500? do I need to spend $3k? $3k would be at the absolute high-end of what I would spend and prefer not to go that high, but would spending this much make a night and day difference?

Needs:

1) higher end on the lumens as I will be watching sports/video games in some degree of ambient light (not alot, but not a pitch dark room either)

2) I simply cannot stand looking at a screen with the 'screen door effect'. Thus does that mean I need 1080p for this size/viewing distance, or can I be happy with a good 720p projector?

3) DLP vs. LCD? Again I worry about the screen door effect on the LCD, but am also concerned with the rainbow effect of DLPs

4) I need some flexibility in my lens shift/zoom as I have a pretty short throw distance (projector will be mounted from the ceiling with the lens a few inches above the top of the screen)

5) I will be playing pretty much ALL HD content - HD over the air, bluray, xbox and ps3 video games. There will be little if any standard def content displayed here.

6) I have an HTPC that I use frequently to watch HD content or to surf on the big screen, etc... is it realistic to expect readable text on a 92" projected image at 720p or greater? Is LCD or DLP better for this?

Lastly, are there any new technologies on the horizon (such as LED light source, etc..) that is worth waiting 6-12 months for?

So I'm open to ANY recommendations in the $1000-$2999 price range that would fit my needs above, although I would prefer to stay around $1500.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
Panasonic AX200u - high lumens, no SDE, excellent placement capability, under $1K

Enjoy now and save for your next step.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Given your placement requirements I would probably also have to recommend the AX200u. If you wanted to go up a step, you could get the Epson 6100 which is 1080p for $1800ish. But I don't think you will notice much of a difference of 1080p vs 720p at a 13' viewing distance on a 92" screen, so it might not be worth almost twice the cash.

·
Banned
9,076 Posts
At your viewing distance (1.95 screen width) it would be a waste of money to get 1080p. I would look at Epson HC720 and AX200U and buy the one that I could get the best deal on. Save the rest for a new projector and screen down the road.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for the input! The reviews on the AX200u are stellar and this projector sounds (almost) like the perfect unit for my needs.

I often play video games while sitting on the floor however, and doing this would put me slightly under the 1.5x viewing range, so I do think a projector with 1080p resolution is going to make a perceivable difference.

Is there a 1080p version of the AX200U? or something similar?

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
If you can afford 1080p then that would be obvious choice as that is the resolution of latest issue for now.

A lot of HD content is 720p native though that is changing - we are perfectly content for now with our 720p Panasonic PJ and willing to wait a year or so while the prices for 1080p displays and projectors and B.Ray continues to drop as prices do with all newer technology along a predictable curve.

A lot of older and not so older movies when converted to Blu Ray are 720p anyway with Up Conversion to the higher resolution output (or so my online research into industry conversion to Blu Ray says).

New Features that are Emerging? 3D is most obvious for me but I've been waiting for visual entertainment to evolve from crummy flat 2D to multi-dimensional for decades and now it is FINALLY arriving.

I suggest a google of "3D projector models" and similar search topics and you will probably be surprised at the number of "3D Ready" tvs and projectors already on the market and there will be MANY more offered in 2009 PLUS and of great importance the movie making industry has gone on record as committed to cranking out a LOT OF 3D in 2009.

Anywho - when we decide to upgrade our 720p PJ the new one will for sure be 3D Ready!!

Illumination? I think the jury is still out but online research shows some manufacturers like Mitsubishi already have large DLP tv displays on the market not only 3D ready but with LCD instead of lamp illumination and it looks like Projectors will be following suit.

Worst thing about front projectors and projection tvs - IMO - is the need for a very hot lamp with a relatively short lifespan. I suggest online investigation into the evolution of alternative light technology and estimates of when they will be on the market at consumer prices before you make a buying decision.

Fact is, a person that waits for technology to mature will never buy anything cause it is ALWAYS changing BUT it looks like there are a couple of significant changes on the market or very near the market so check into 3D Ready and LCD - just my opinion.

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
The AE3000 1080p Panasonic is a very good 1080p PJ in this bracket of PJs but will run you 3 times what the AX200u will cost you.

Besides, the AX200u has smoothscreen technology and you will not see SDE even a few feet from the screen.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjay /forum/post/15446514

If you can afford 1080p then that would be obvious choice as that is the resolution of latest issue for now.

A lot of HD content is 720p native though that is changing - we are perfectly content for now with our 720p Panasonic PJ and willing to wait a year or so while the prices for 1080p displays and projectors and B.Ray continues to drop as prices do with all newer technology along a predictable curve.

I've rented nothing but HD for nearly 2 years. I bought an HDDVD drive for my xbox back when they first came out and started renting HDDVD movies from blockbuster. When that format died I bought a PS3 and have rented nothing but bluray ever since. In the past 2 years I think I've rented one movie on a standard DVD.

In addition I just don't "do" standard def tv (does that sound snooty or what?
) Every program I watch is now available in 1080i (scifi channel shows, smallville, house, bones, football games) and every movie is 1080p bluray.

The point being is there will very, very seldom ever be anything that's not at least 1080i displayed in this theater, so I'm very hesitant to go with the dated 720 resolution. I do have to admit though that $799 vs. $3k still makes 720p attractive.

I guess what I'm really looking for now is the 1080p equivalent of the ax200u for $1500... I don't ask for much

·
Registered
634 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutterbug99 /forum/post/15447745

I've rented nothing but HD for nearly 2 years. I bought an HDDVD drive for my xbox back when they first came out and started renting HDDVD movies from blockbuster. When that format died I bought a PS3 and have rented nothing but bluray ever since. In the past 2 years I think I've rented one movie on a standard DVD.

In addition I just don't "do" standard def tv (does that sound snooty or what?
) Every program I watch is now available in 1080i (scifi channel shows, smallville, house, bones, football games) and every movie is 1080p bluray.

The point being is there will very, very seldom ever be anything that's not at least 1080i displayed in this theater, so I'm very hesitant to go with the dated 720 resolution. I do have to admit though that $799 vs. $3k still makes 720p attractive.

I guess what I'm really looking for now is the 1080p equivalent of the ax200u for $1500... I don't ask for much

check out the epson 6100. a little more than 1500, but i think it is what you want

If you really want to splurge you can have the 6500UB for 2699 after rebate.

the Panny 3000 is good too in that price range .

If you can find it check out the epson 1080ub.

Thats what i have...wonderful for gaming and generally better than the 6100 for image quality.

The ae3000u and 6500ub are probably better than the 1080ub.

The 1080ubs are dicontinued and if you find one used...make sure the original owner has original receipts and all documentation with the projector.

You might be able to find one sub 2000.

I got my 1080ub for $2200 back in june, which at that time, was a steal. The guy i bought it from had all documentation and i still have over a year left in the warranty.

My best advice...720p is good, but if you are primarily HD 1080...go with 1080p you will not be disappointed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.